Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Typhoon season hits the Philippines

PHILIPPINES | Tuesday, 25 August 2009 | Views [1929]

Mon 10th Aug - After a couple of days around the house just ambling along with stuff it was time to venture out somewhere. Didn't sound too exciting, but decided on Mahogany market in Tagaytay. On the way there dropped into the Taal Vista hotel, which overlooks the Taal volcano. The first hotel here with the most prestigious location, but to be honest a rather square and plain atmosphere. The food supposed to be the best in Tagaytay, so will try it one day when I feel like a splurge.

Was going to try out a horse riding centre near by, but it didn't do any more than a short run around a flat compound for 250 pesos and didn't think it was good value for money, so walked on to the market. Mahogany market is renouned locally for the quality of its Beef, and justifiably so. After a cheap lunch at one of the eateries there, we checked out each section. As usual, the meat section of the market has an overpowering aroma that could turn a sensitive stomach. Bits of animals hung up to become prey to the flies isn't something that makes you reach for your wallet to start buying. But it has a great choice of good quality and so I indulged in some great steaks at 200 pesos for about 4 meals worth of Beef. Now that is cheap.

The fruit section is excellent

 Mon 17th Aug – Recent days have been a bit humdrum and blurred into one a bit. A bit of gardening, sleeping, and spending time sorting out my photographs and playing with Photoshop a lot, so not very exciting. Some great cooking though. Between Shiera and me we cook up some awesome spontaneous meals. She happens to be a super cook, especially the local dishes.

Had to go out to pala-pala on Saturday to visit a guitar shop. Crazy as expected with ten times the normal level of people around. The SM mall was hosting a musical event which sort of overpowered the place with noise. Took respite in the French Baker for a coffee and got chatting to a group of girls interested in speaking English. Turned out that one of them had married a Welsh guy a couple of months ago. He was back in the UK working and she was stuck here for many months until he returns. On the return trip to Silang in the Jeepney I got talking to a guy who was Filipino. He was nearing the end of a 1 month break from his work as a civil engineer in Western Australia. In his second year there, his company pays for him to come home once a year to visit his wife and family. That cannot be pleasant to be separated from your wife for so long. After 2 years he can become an Australian resident and bring his family over to stay for good. These two stories reflect a concern I have about Asia. The Philippines happens to be one of the most awkward countries for its residents to escape from. Trying to get a visa to visit some countries is a nightmare. For example, I will have a major job on my hands to take Shiera to the UK, even if we were married. As we are not it is even more hassle. The immigration bureau don't trust the situation and think they will disappear into the dark when they arrive, and never leave, so put them through a lengthy interrogation process taking months. I come across so many situations where the husband and wife spend so much time apart because the wife cannot travel with him. This is the reality though of a relationship between a foreigner and a Filipino.

It is back to raining heavily again after a couple of days or so break from it. I wanted desperately to go out last night for some entertainment, but that got scrapped due to the transport problem. After 10pm it is almost impossible to get home from some places as the Jeepneys stop. If you haven't got your own transport then you are stuffed. Of course, if you want entertainment then it is likely to be a late night, and so a catch 22 situation. I love to go out at night and watch live music but there isn't any at all here in Silang. Have to go at least to Tagaytay or even as far as Manila for that, so without our own transport we don't go out at all. It gets to me after a while and I begin to get that urge to move on, as this place is dead and boredom soon sets in. If you aren't the sort of person who needs a social life or any form of live entertainment then Silang would be ok, otherwise it is off the radar as far as an active life is concerned.

Nothing much happened over the next few days apart from just living, eating and domestics.

Thu 20th Aug - Went to Manila to see the 'Coconut Palace', but got the timing wrong as it closes at 3pm and arrived too late, so checked into a Sogo hotel and then went for a walk.

We learnt that tomorrow is a National Holiday and so plans would be affected due to many things being closed.

The evening was fun. I had read about a great transvestite show at www.Clubmwah.com In Mandaluyong, so bought tickets over the phone. Currently on discount until October at only 600 Pesos each. The show was to start at 9:30pm with doors open at 7:30pm. The traffic getting across Manila was chaotic as usual, and so abandoned the idea of getting a taxi there, and got a taxi to the LRT only. From there a quick trip on the LRT followed by the MRT got us close according to the map. What I hadn't realized was that it was going to be a further 2km walk from there....maps are so deceiving sometimes...and Shiera was in high heels..and complaining all the way! Anyway, the club is cool and the show really good. I have to say that it wasn't as good as the Calypso show in Bangkok. What was good was the finale, as the musical director and producer did a closing speech and the party began. Up with the dancers to boogie and have photos taken with them. They do constantly harass for tips, which was frustrating, but they were good sports.

Fri 21st Aug - Coconut palace was closed as national holiday 'Ninoy Aquino day'.

Folk music Competition at Cultural Centre of the Philippines (CCP Complex). 150 pesos for a 4 hour concert showcasing choral talent from around the country. This was superb. So many wonderful voices and pretty traditional costumes. No photography allowed during the contest, but a real buzz after the show as the groups vyed for attention to have their photos taken.

Sun 23rd Aug - Today was decision day for some future stuff. The reason as usual is visa related. Tomorrow my usual 21 day tourist visa expires and as part of the entry requirements into the Philippines, I had to buy an onward flight, which happens to be back to Thailand. I can extend as usual for 38 days to the maximum 59 days allowable, but I also have the house to consider. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that where I am living is totally wrong for what I want. Anyway, without going int further details, there are things to resolve.

Mon 24th Aug – Visa was due to expire today so had to make a trip to Intramuros in Manila to extend it at a cost of 3030 pesos. That will take me up to October 1st and the 59 day limit as a normal tourist. After that I will have to apply for the usual Alien certificate of Registration, which costs nearly 5000 pesos. More on that another time.

Arrived at the Bureau of Immigration at shortly after 11am and it closes for lunch at noon, so rushed around getting the paperwork done..copy of passport pages and the extension form to fill in and then the cashier after having it entered on the system. Got it all done in around 15 minutes and then out the door, needing to return after 1:30pm to collect my passport. With a couple of hours to kill we decided on heading for Chinatown, across the Pasig river. That river always makes me puke as it gives off a nasty niff most of the time. China town is an interesting area, easily navigable on foot, although there are Calesa (horse-drawn carriage) and pedicabs available for the foot weary. The first thing I noticed when we went wandering down a market stall street was the quality of the fruit. Perfect plums (20 pesos each), kiwi fruit (20 pesos each), oranges, bananas, grapes (180 to 200 pesos per kilo), mangos, Atis (aka Custard apple), pears, apples etc. Plus some strange stuff as expected in a chinese area....the hair from sweetcorn, which is used as a medicine; sea slugs in three different varieties, some quite large; weird and wonderful mushrooms; lots of shrimps...although I wouldn't eat anything that came from the waters around here. A regular sight was some pale cream coloured grass-like stalks that were tied in bundles and used for making tea - like Ginseng I gather.

Bought some fruit for snacks as we walked.

There is a nice church in the centre which we had been in before, but revisited again and also had lunch at a Chinese soup restaurant. An interesting side note here…if you are in for a challenge in a bowl…ask for ‘Special soup No.5! No picture to explain what that is….now what happened to Specials soups no.1 to 4? Anyway, what you will get is Bull’s Penis soup! Why on earth would you want to eat that then? Well, it is mainly for men as it is supposed to give you extra virility. There was one old guy, maybe late 60’s into 70’s, eating a bowl of it…disgusting looking it was too as he spat some of the too chewy bits out onto the table next to his bowl. At his age, I wonder what he was hoping for? A miracle I think!

We stuck with something more traditional as we were hungry and didn’t fancy taking the risk. Suitably fed and back at the Immigration to collect my visa and then walked off along the waterfront road before aiming to catching the bus back to Silang. Well, we were queuing for the bus, my stomach decided to play up and I had to rush to a toilet. Bad timing and not sure what caused it, but it was sufficient unpleasant to not want to mention it any more.

Managed to make it home without too much trouble and kept near a toilet for the rest of the evening.

And that's it for now...Bye...

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.