Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Back in Silang after Pahiyas

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 25 May 2009 | Views [1225]

Sun 17th May – After a fairly tiring trip away without much sleep, a catching up day today with not much happening

Mon 18th May – It vanished into a haze of insignificance. Must have done something, but cannot remember?

Tue 19th May – The most memorable part of the day was Shiera cooking Fish & Chips. She is a super cook and got it spot on, just the way I like it. No mushy peas though, although you can buy them if you know where to go.

 

Wed 20th May – We had talked for a while about paying a visit to Alabang in Muntinlupa, and the ‘Festival mall’. Only one reason for the visit and that is to visit the ‘Union Jack’ shope and tavern. For british expats this is a pilgrimage site for comfort foods and British atmosphere. Get there by Jeepney (14 pesos) and FX van (45 pesos) from pala-pala. Within the same mall is the other foreigner goody shop ‘Santi’s, but we have one of those nearby in Olivarez, so not too bothered about that one. It felt like a nostalgia trip walking through its door and within seconds spotting a shelf of HP brown sauce; the very thing I had been looking for since I left the UK two years ago! Branston pickle, Colman’s mustard, Cadbury’s cream eggs, Mint sauce. Canned beers….John Smiths, Tangle Foot, Ruddles, Guinness, Old Speckled Hen, the list goes on. In the kitchens they make meat pies the way the British like them, and I was lucky to catch a chef walking into the shop with two trays of freshly cooked pies ready for the shelf. Cheddar cheese, Wheetabix, Horlicks, British favourite teas and coffees. There was hardly anything missing that a Brit could want. The downside, and there had to be one…..the price! Wow…what a price. Some items were ten times the UK price! Fearing that I would break my bank account in a single visit, I had to restrain my spending to a few favoured goodies and be satisfied that I had found somewhere to buy them at last, albeit nearly a couple of hours journey from Silang.

Through the shop and entering the Tavern, is like going into a typical British pub environment. Serving Roast Lamb and mashed potatoes, Fish & chips from imported potatoes, Chili con carne, Curries the way many Brits like them, it was a relaxing place to spend lunch. Whilst there, David walked in, the famous British guy who owns a chain of Hairdressing salons, including one in this mall. Meals are served on a paper newspaper mat (The Daily News…Sunday, December 25, 2007. Sunday Lifestyle section. 5 sections. Vol.3 No.15….Union Jack Tavern: The Best Fish ‘n’ Chips in Town). The article uses that favourite British word ‘Scrumptious’ to describe its food, a word you don’t hear anywhere else. Apparently the place used to be called the ‘Athena Delicatessen’.

 

Recharged after my pilgrimage, we went walkabout around the mall to look for some bargains…and devour a couple of Cadbury’s cream eggs on the way…ahhhhh! Found a store who were promoting massage chairs and spent what seemed like an hour relaxing and getting pummeled all over. Those things are excellent. Ranging from around 95,000 Pesos to 170,000 pesos, they are quite an investment, but we got ours for free. Straight out of there and hey presto! A free massage service out on one of the levels, using Thai oils. This place certainly knows how to score a hit!

Shiera had a friend who works in the HR department of the entertainment complex here, so we went for a visit and got supplied with free tokens to use the facilities for a while. Turned out to be a good decision to pay this place a visit.

Thur 21st May – Have no idea what we did today. It vanished, so must have drifted through the day in a haze! I know, we ate all of the bad things that I hadn’t had in a long time….sausage sandwiches with HP sauce on for breakfast…yummee!

 

Fri 22nd May –  The aim was to have a sauna today, but after checking out a couple of places the rates were crazy and so decided against it.  This didn’t matter, as we visited a couple of nice coffee shops and an art gallery instead. This region is famed for producing coffee, especially around the Amadeo area, which is close to here. A kilo of local coffee is around 300 pesos. Got the coffee machine on later and filled the house with fresh aroma…mmm…

Another eating day. One of my favourite dishes of Curried Jackfruit and a deadly killer desert of Buko salad. The Buko is ok, the fruit salad is ok, it’s the tin of condensed milk and a carton of cream that goes in it that is the killer! Stop counting those calories and just eat….heaven on a plate!

Sat 23rd May – Sabbath is here again, and so peace descends on R Square for another Saturday. I wished that the dogs knew that. Every house here has dogs and they continually trigger each other off into a cacophony of barking through the night, to the point of annoyance. I hate having my sleep disturbed and they do so every night. This is the only thing I don’t like about living here. I have to use ear plugs, to minimize the noise. Also, everyone gets up at 6am or earlier and go running or walking which triggers the dogs off barking again. Most people’s routine will be to go to bed early and get up early.  Being Sabbath, no work is allowed on the estate, so the houses being built opposite fall into silence for a change.

Needed to get out later and so went food shopping in Tagaytay then went on the hunt for some live entertainment. Not as easy as you might expect here. Wall-to-wall restaurants and heaving with people, but not much live entertainment. Many places seemed dead with the bar staff sat around waiting for people to come in. Ended up at Knuckles bar and a nice local band called ‘Illusions’.

Sun 24th May – Sunday market is here again and this time decided to get up early to see what it was like. Normally only see it later in the day when most of the activity has died down. Set the alarm for 5am and quick breakfast and a tricycle into the market.

Alive and kicking is one way to describe it. People arriving from all directions for bulk buying. The fruit area is always a great place to start, with truck loads of pineapples, bananas and coconut filling the roads. Buyers were filling their Jeepneys and tricycles to overflowing. The meat market was the liveliest I have ever seen it. Every type of meat and good quality too. I was only really there for photographs and so they obliged with some nice poses. Vegetables is always a great place to spend some time as it is fantastic quality and the diversity of what is on offer is wonderful. As a treat for lunch we bought some Oysters. At 40 pesos per kilo, they are ridiculously cheap compared to prices back west. For the traders this is the peak time of the week, and when they will work their hardest, employing helpers to cope with the volume of business. Forging relationships with high paying customers, generally Korean, is the main aim of the game. Maintaining that relationship is also important as losing one high payer can spell disaster for a small business. Some businesses only appear on a Sunday, and I wanted to try some ‘Duhat’; a red grape looking fruit which can be sweet, but also a slightly dry after taste. Decided not to buy any after sampling some from a lady that only appears today.

Lunch back at home was a superb combination of Oysters dressed with Calamansi and Tabasco sauce, accompanied by curried Jackfruit, Banana flower heart (with coconut milk and Chili) and rice, followed by fresh Lychees, Pineapple and Banana, all washed down with a handsome glass of red wine. Tasty and fit for a king!

After that little lot, nothing else to do but to recover…..and do some dancing back at the house in the evening.


Mon 25th May –
My visa runs out on 2nd June, at which point I will have been here for 6 months. Contacted the immigration bureau in Manila to confirm my options. The crazy thing is that, after 6 months of stay it gets ridiculously expensive to stay. I can stay for upto 2 years on a tourist visa, extending in 2 month increments. The main problem is that, If I leave at all to go travelling in another country, on return, I go back to a standard 21 day tourist visa (or extend at the airport as usual to the max of 59 days after paying the visa waiver fees). And then rep[eat the 2-monthly extensions upto 6 months again, and then leave again. The other options they offer are firstly, to apply for a temporary residency, which can only be applied for after marrying a Filipino, and then come and go as long as I want when travelling with her. Secondly, is the Standard Retirement Visa, where you have to deposit a large sum of money into a Philippines bank account and take a medical. Still have to pay a high application fee for that one and can only stay for a year and then have to reapply to renew it again following a re-assessment of finances and medical health. There are other quirks of the system, but basically the conclusion I have come to is that I have to leave on or before the 2nd July. This doesn’t give much time to sort out a flight somewhere nice. Java (Jakarta) is currently coming out as the favored option, based on price and also being somewhere I haven’t been yet. Can get a 30 day visa on arrival and be able to tour to some nice places including Bali, Lombok, Java itself and Komodo Island, plus wherever else fits in. Will keep you posted on that one.

To make matters worse today, I have the diarrhoea. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a by-product of the tasty lunch of Oysters yesterday! Life on the run....gotta go….honestly!

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.