Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Pahiyas 2009

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 17 May 2009 | Views [4215] | Comments [1]

Thu 14thMay – Set off to Lucban in Quezon region of South Luzon province this morning. Every year Lucban hosts the ‘Pahiyas’ festival, where hundreds of houses are decorated in the most elaborate way to celebrate a bountiful harvest. Being one of the areas with the highest rainfall in the Philippines, guarantees it to be a fertile land.

Getting there was a combination of Jeepney to Pala-Pala in Dasmarinas followed by an FX van to Pagsanjan, then another Jeepney to Lucban.

Even though the festival was to have begun on 11th May, heavy rains had made preparations difficult, so when we arrived the day before the main event, the roads were chaos with activity buzzing everywhere, as teams of people were busy decorating their houses. In some ways, this was a stroke of luck for us as it meant seeing the interesting bit in full flow.

A brief chat with a local yielded a surprising fact….one day to prepare for the competition, one day for the event itself and then the following day it would all come down again! This seems an incredible amount of work for such a short span of time. We felt that it should be on for many days and a waste to be removing the decorations in such a short time, but that is their policy. The houses are competing for a substantial cash prize and so make a lot of effort in their artistic use of fruit, vegetables and any naturally occurring materials at their disposal. Most will be using stuff only from their own farms. One of the houses was being used by the network television channel GMA for a news article, and so the streets surrounding it were crowded with folk desperate for a glance at familiar faces.

Lucban itself is a pleasant small town. As normal, the dominating feature is a lovely old church from the 18th century. The site was previously occupied by a succession of churches; the first in 1595 was ruined in 1629. The next was completed in 1640 and destroyed by fire in 1733. The present church was built in 1738 and had a convent added in 1743. The nuns from there were a regular feature walking around the town.

A surprising number of beggars swarm around the town, mainly in the church and street stall area. Sleeping in doorways of a night, they are a sorry sight of a group of people who float from one festival to another in this region. The babies seem to be born with their hands held out asking for money. They walk up to you and poke you and moan. After a while it gets annoying and intrusive, but not to be condoned by giving in to them. The kids are also pick-pocketers and you have to be well aware of everything you carry.

Along with the event come the sideshows. The sponsors for the event were ‘Smart’  the internet provider, Jollibee and a number of drinks companies, so banners were plentiful around the town along with free samples where appropriate. The best one for us was an infinite supply of fresh coffee, which we availed ourselves of regularly.

 

Fri 15th May – The day starts with a church ceremony which we didn’t attend, but of more interest was the street parade which began at 7am. We were staying at the ‘Summer City Inn’ (800 pesos for basic and noisy room), one of only two accommodation options in the town and located behind the church where the parade was to start. The other place is the ‘Patio Rizal Hotel’ (2100 pesos upwards) in the pain town plaza, where Smart had set up an events stage for live bands. The parade was complete with some nice floats, mainly based around covered Jeepneys. Every year they choose a different route so that different houses get the chance to decorate. A good idea to prevent the same houses monopolizing the show every year.

Lucban, like most places in the Philippines is famed for some form of specialty food. Here it is Hab-Hab, a meal of noodles and vegetables. They serve it as a snack on banana leaves and in every restaurant. They even had a competition for the best hab-hab. The ladies who made their own special version dressed in long gowns adorned with various décor, such as mini hats. One guy dressed in an outfit made of bamboo shreds. The town is also famed for other things, another being Longganisa sausages, which you can see being made in their thousands along the streets. To be honest, they aren’t my favourite as I think they are too fatty, but the locals flock to buy them in vast numbers. Another food is Kipin. This is made from rice and for anyone who knows what Indian popadums are like, this is a form of equivalent. The difference is that they come in many bright colours and are used as decoration on the houses. Very brittle to use, but can be modeled when soft into lots of interesting shapes. They make lanterns, flowers and all sorts of things from them. It is interesting to see them being cooked. One stand had a box of broken up kiping which they cooked in a wok of hot oil. Seeing a pan full of colour burst into life as it swelled, twisted and spat oil as it cooked is an interesting sight. Very bland in taste as it is really only rice and a dye, but can have a little salt added for flavor if wanted.

Stalls are everywhere selling typical Filipino sweet treats such as Yame (soft fudge like cone sweet in coloured cellophane wrapper), Tikoy (a soft toffee made from rice), Broas (long biscuits), Otap (another flaky biscuit), plus many others aimed at fattening up and rotting the teeth of this nation that seems totally disinterested in counting calories!

After a day of walking the parade route a number of times, on each occasion seeing different things, and indulging in hab-hab, volumes of coffee, and free alcoholic beverages, it was a shattering time. No time to rest, as the night brought another treat as many of the houses lit up fairytale fashion, many with moving characters. An area of the town adjacent to the market had an outdoor stage set up by St Miguel beer and a live band. But in true tradition, the sky opened and deluged the event with rain. The cover that had been provided wasn’t sufficient for the number of people there, and so we had to escape eventually for somewhere under cover. The fireworks that had been laid on were washed out by the rain too.

Later in the evening whilst sitting in the Patio Rizal hotel having a meal, Pakistan’s tallest man was sat outside having his photograph taken with a mob of folks vying for a closer look. He had a side-kick who was asking 50 pesos for a photo with him. I actually felt very sorry for him as he looked to be in agony every time he was asked to stand up for the photo. When he walked he really struggled, looking crippled with arthritis. I later learned a bit more about him. At 26 years old he is still growing and is expected to put on another 3 or 4 inches, possibly making him the tallest man alive today. He had a car accident a while ago which left him with a foot injury that will cost maybe 50,000 dollars to operate on. To cover the cost of his operation he set off on a fund raising tour and has been in the Philippines since early May.

 

Sat 16th May – Before heading out of town we decided to make one last loop of the town to see what stuff was being given away. Collected a load of kiping, shaped into leaves of many colours for free plus some really nice ornamental flowers to put into a vase as well as some garden plants. If you have your own transport, there are mounds of stuff being given away.

Before going back to Silang we decided to go to another town not far from here called Paete. Famed for its artistry in woodcarving. A couple of Jeepneys away on the eastern side of the Laguna lake via Pagsanjan, where we had been earlier in the year to visit the falls. It doesn’t get many visitors but there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of shops selling locally made articles. Really good quality, much of it of a religious kind, and not sure how they all survive. It was a great place to break for lunch too as we found the lovely Capati café to get out of the scorching heat. Artistically presented by its owner who was happy for us to leave our luggage there whilst we toured the town. There is even a tourist office by the health centre. It was amusing when we went in and asked what there was to see here…”well what do you want to see”, the man said. “How do we know….what is there to see here”, we replied. Well, not much…as it turned out. There are three crosses on a nearby hill, and a couple of churches, but it was worth a couple of hours break.

What we hadn’t realized or given much thought to, was it being Saturday. The journey home was ridiculous. The volume of traffic was horrendous, and instead of a couple of hours, it took is 6 hours; mostly sat in queues of horn honking, diesel spewing traffic!  By the time we reached Pala-pala we were ready to fall asleep and hungry. Jumped into a nearby Korean restaurant for a great meal before heading for home and collapse into bed.

That's all for now folks....

 

Comments

1

Hey jeffbrad! We like this story and have decided to feature it this week in our "Popular Stories this month" so that others could enjoy it too!

Happy travels!

~World Nomads

  World Nomads May 19, 2009 3:27 PM

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.