Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Silang & Indonesia here we come

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 31 May 2009 | Views [1236]

Tue 26th May - Remember me saying that I had a dose of the Diarrhoea? Well I sure did. The worse that I think I have ever had. I started yesterday at 138 pounds, which is already under what I should weigh for my height of 5ft 10in. By the end of the day, I was down to 134 pounds. I must have been on the toilet the whole day and couldn't hold anything in my system. Sorry for the detail. Not a good day!

Wed 27th May - Well, lost another 2 pounds and at 132 pounds am now off the bottom of the scales for the height/weight charts. Fortunately, things started to improve a little throughout the day. Another visit by Smartbro to waste even more time trying to improve their internet service...failed, so have given up now with expecting anything better from them. Totally random and unreliable service.

In a moment of clarity and a break from the pan, I managed to book flights to Jakarta in Java for this coming Sunday 31st, returning on 22nd June. Yippeee...3 weeks in Java and Bali. It always amuses me that a flight can be only $63 one way for such a journey, but the taxes are another $60! Still, a good price though.

The 'Bali Arts Festival' begins on 13th June and lasts for a whole month, so booked some time in Denpasar (capital of Bali), where it opens, to avoid getting stuck without somewhere nice to stay. Will be first time out of the country since last December...six months ago. For Shiera, many firsts; First time out of the country ever, first time in a country with different language, different currency, the southern hemisphere, time zone changes, as well as different culture and food. Exciting time eh!

Have to come back on 22nd as there is some potential work with a Korean teaching company that should commence on 25th June. More on that another time.

It also highlights an issue which causes me a little concern. When I took on the contract for the house I am living in here, I knew I would have that commitment whether I was here or not. Having to pay rent for almost the whole month without being here, is something I haven't had to do before and seems such a waste of money. Real life of course, and have to put up with it for the time being.

Dynamic thunder and lightning outside later as we happened to be watching 'Tomb Raider' with the amazing Angelina Jolie in full pouting mode with spray-on clothes, whilst being attacked by what seems like the whole universe at times - the female equivalent of James Bond. Great make believe action movie.

Thu 28th May - With a mission to get ready for going away on Sunday, had to get some things sorted out, mainly financial. Imagine my frustration then after visiting three banks and not getting any money as my card had been frozen...again! The Philippines is on the high security risk list, and periodically my ATM card gets blocked by the bank. I have to go through the rigmarole of phoning the UK to get it unblocked. A pain when in a hurry but sorted it successfully.

Got my head shaved in a local barber's. Only costs 50 pesos for the full job and easier than struggling myself at home. Like to begin a new adventure looking my best.

Was sat on-line at home and glanced out towards the town to witness a modern miracle...well, for us anyway. The path for internet signal had a big tree in its way...the tree was coming down. Not sure if Smartbro had a word with its owner, or it is just coincidence. We can now have an uninterrupted view of the transmitter, so hope that should improve things.

Fri 29th May – Nothing exciting other than starting to feel much better now. That was until I noticed some silver paint on the sink unit outside the back door. Thought it odd at first and asked Shiera if she knew anything about it, which she didn’t. Then noticed some silver graffiti sprayed on the side wall of the house and some other marks around the outside of the house. Luckily, next door’s gardener had seen two young boys at around 10am doing it; didn’t stop them of course! Anyway, he knew that another house around the corner had been sprayed also, so we went to see them. The lady had spotted them in the morning when she and her husband returned from shopping; they dropped the spray can and ran. Fortunately, she recognized them as they were only young kids, but hadn’t done anything about it. Why, I have no idea? Anyway, off we went to confront the parent, who we knew, and her son. Got it all sorted eventually as to whom it was and they will have to put right the damage. They were just silly little kids with a couple of brain cells to share between them, but it is their parents who have got the worse problem to sort.

Feeling much better now after the bout of Diahorroea earlier in the week, so glad about that as getting close to going away. Off to the cinema in the evening to see ‘Night at the Museum 2’. A great hoot of a movie, and as good as the first one - Best seen on the big screen as much would be lost on a small screen.

Sat 30th May – Rainy season is now in full throw, and it now rains every day, and will do so for most of June. Does make going out a bit more of a planning mission as no way other than to walk. Off to Jakarta tomorrow and looking at the weather forecast for there, it isn’t that much better – 50% chance of rain instead of 100%! Packing, cleaning and last minute stuff.

Sun 31st May – Fly to Jakarta this evening with Philippines Airlines. Will arrive there at 23:55, and so will roll into our accommodation at the ‘Jakarta B&B’ in the early hours of the morning. Also go back 1hr. More of that next time.

Bye for now folks

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.