Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Pagsanjan & the normal life…then on to Palawan

PHILIPPINES | Friday, 27 February 2009 | Views [3811]

Sun 8th Feb – Felt like going out somewhere for the day, but after considering the options to go somewhere local, made up our mind to go a little further and take some things to stay overnight. Went to Pansanjan, which is in Laguna province and has one claim to fame with its waterfalls. A Jeepney up to Dasmarinas, and then had to wait for an FX van to fill up with passengers before heading off. Not too bad a journey although mainly the super highway for most of it. Once you get closer to the southern side of the Laguna lake, the countryside is lovely, with hectares of rice paddies surrounded by palm trees and attractive hills.

The Fx stopped at the market and transport station, a couple of kilometers out of town, and surprised in finding a smart tourist office/ Nipa hut there. This was a sign that this area is different to most of the other places I had been to on the mainland. A nice guy arrived and opened up and was keen to tell us what the area had to offer. He made a call to his wife, who shortly arrived and escorted us back to town on a tricycle. She then showed us around a few accommodation options until we were happy, a really kind touch and not what I expected. We stopped at ‘Al’s’ place across the Balanac river in an apartment for 1000 pesos including breakfast for both of us. A private balcony overlooking the river and nice facilities. One of the other places, the ‘La Vista Hotel’ across from where we stayed, was a clean looking place too but wanted 1300 pesos inc breakfast.

The main reason for coming here was to visit the falls, an hour ride upstream in a canoe. Every hotel and guest house here can organize the trip, but there is a saga going on about it. Up until last year the price used to be 660 pesos per person, but it was increased to 800 pesos and will rise again on April 1st to 1000 pesos. The town has 3,500 Bangkeros / boatmen who are licensed to offer the trip and the fee is structured by the local government to attempt to prevent the tourists being scammed. The present mayor of the town has instigated a project to build a central boat station, due for completion this year, and is keen to clamp down on the ‘flaggers’ who hawk the incoming tourists. The problem is that the increases in price are not received by the boatmen, but are siphoned off by the middle men, and so the boatmen are complaining continually about it. Understandable as there is little else to do in this town unless you are a boatman, or operating or working for a hotel or guesthouse.

 

After settling in we went for a walk around the town. A small a cozy place and friendly. A few nice restaurants serving local dishes as well as some street stalls for snacks. It even has a seven-eleven store, showing that it is on the tourist map! Had a nice bowl of delicious Arroz

Caldo, a traditional hot rice soup made with ginger. Joined by a couple of boatmen who spent most of their time complaining about the boatride price. Another treat on the way back of ‘Halo-Halo’, which is a desert made from shaved ice and condensed or evaporated milk, which has sweet beans and fruit added to it. Although it can be made all year round, it is generally only seen in summer.

Mon 9th Feb – After a nice breakfast, we organized the trip up the river with Al and set-off at 9:30. Luckily, it was quiet and the hour long ride upstream was peaceful…apart from the rapids. Well, they call them rapids. Don’t expect some grade 5 white water rafting experience. They are fairly gentle but for the boatmen. a hard slog having to pull the boat. with us in it, up some tricky climbs against the force of the water. They certainly earn their pay. At a number of times along the way, the head man  kept saying…don’t forget your boatman…extra special pay…we don’t get paid much…don’t forget. I made no promises as we had paid 800 pesos each already, and thought that was enough. This is the scams they come up with to make you part with more cash. Soon after starting out, a boat came up close and was offering drinks for the boatmen…they get thirsty…drink for your boatmen! Then another one selling souvenirs, then a stop at an impassable section when they offer food for your boatmen…and so it goes. After the one hour ride we reached the actual falls, which team over what is called the ‘Devil’s cave’. For an extra 90 pesos, you could take a bamboo raft into it, and under the pounding pressure of the water fall, but didn’t bother. We were the only ones there and so swam instead.

Heading back downstream we were passed by numerous boats full of Koreans and a few other foreigners. We had been lucky to get the place to ourselves. The return trip only takes about half an hour as the boat just follows the flow and the boatmen just have to steer. More exciting than the upstream trip as it builds up a n ice speed and you get soaked as the water fills the boat.

 

After recovering for a while, we made out exit from Al’s and walked back through town to the transport station. A nice walk as it passed some interesting local sights. The paddy fields will not be ready until August for harvesting, but now, they were a verdant carpet of green, dotted with pretty Nipa huts, one of which was a real postcard image.

 

A guy pulled up in front of us as we walked and introduced himself. He was Australian but had spent a long time in the UK. As an Expat living here, he was part of the law enforcement squad, trying to enforce the use of safety helmets and general safety on motorbikes. Obviously driven by the need to improve his own safety whilst living here.

 

 Returned from Pansanjan to Silang in an FX and slept for most of it..zzz…

Tue 10th Feb – Domestics day after being away, so not much happened.

Wed 11th Feb – In the evening I met up with a group of expats to chat about what goes on in the local scene. Was an excellent evening of being shown around a few different places. Started with a place referred to as Les's bar...he died about 3 or 4 years ago, but his bar lives on. He was one of a small group of foreigners who decided to set up the expats group, and so it went on from there. Next was Manos's Greek taverna in Tagaytay. We were late as most had gathered from around 5pm for a meal and it was now around 8pm. An indian guy, a couple of british guys, and some others from other parts of Europe, as well as the guy who was showing me around, Ivan from New Zealand. He runs a generator hire and repair business close to where I am staying in Silang.

Next to G-Point and met the manager who had taken the place over not long ago and rebuilt it. Tonight there was a live band playing some nice easy music, and the drinks were flowing. Starting to fly now....

Final place was Knuckles bar, a new venture that we had seen advertised along the road but had no idea where it was. Took some finding and was nowhere near the address on the street banners, so was empty...no wonder really! Chatted with the manager about why his bar was empty. The nightly band started at 10:30 and went through until around 3am, but you had to either know where it was or find it by accident behind Starbucks and down a flight of stairs in Tagaytay... Its address was Silang crossing?

A nice evening and learnt a lot although too much for one evening. The group meet every wednesday and many are also involved in the Rotary group doing local projects, which I could get involved in if I wished. They certainly have plenty of important local contacts who could help in doing just about anything.

 

Thu 12th Feb – A couple of really nice local places to while away an hour or two on the main highway. The walk there is beautiful apart from the crazy traffic, as it is a continuous stream of garden centres in full bloom. Gorgeous colours and masses of Orchids make great photo backdrops. The 'Abundant place' is a restaurant and also a shop selling craft goods and local produce such as coffee and vinegar plus clothing. Further along the road is the SSD, a Seventh Day Adventist headquarters with peaceful grounds and mock nipa hut and rice terraces. Lovely setting for photography, so dressed up a little. They also have a couple of reproduction wooden arches looking like something from Thailand.

 

Fri 13th Feb – I had been making comments for ages that the Philippines has no good bakeries. There is one however, the French baker in SM mall, so made a pilgrimage there and stuffed my face with great bread and cakes, plus plenty of take-out to last a few days...French stick, Chiabatta, etc... yummeee!! There is a reason for the lack of good bread... The Filipinos aren't bothered and only want cheap bread...it is yuk! Next, to buy some cheese to have with this lovely bread. Fortunately, not so difficult to find, but expensive as it is all imported. They don't make good cheeses here...none.. :-(

Whilst at the Mall I took the opportunity to visit a dermatologist as I had picked up a small skin infection that had been lasting too long now. Simple enough to fix with some Clobetasol  ointment, but not available without prescription. Cost 650 pesos including the consultation fee.

The problem with buying something you haven't had in ages is that it is difficult to stop...too much good cheese and bread! Will pay for that later!!

 

Sat 14th Feb – Today is Valentine’s day, and so a nice day of lazy stuff. In the evening went to Recuerdos on the Aguinaldo highway - A combined site comprising the Tita Boots restaurant and also selling traditional furniture and artifacts set amongst a group of buildings and Nipa huts. During the evening an announcement was made that the deputy mayor and his wife plus a group were present from the national TV company GMA7. The famous director Joel Lamangan was there as well as an also famous actress that I later saw on TV in a drama series.

Entertainment was provided by a keyboard player and a couple of female vocalists, but later in the evening, audience participation was welcomed and so Sheira talked me into doing a turn, so obliged...well what choice did I have considering the distinguished audience I had. Had a great response with the crowd enjoying my performance. A group were also there who knew Sheira and so were invited for some drinks before we had to leave as up early tomorrow to catch a flight.

 

Sun 15th Feb – Up early to catch the flight to Busuanga Island in Palawan, departing from Manila  at 12:45 (which I managed to get for 971 pesos all inclusive). After check-in at Cebupacific, the usual terminal fee before you enter departures of 200 pesos. A nice little 72 seater prop plane, arriving at 1:45pm. Cebupacific always have in-flight games and I won a little bag on one game. Had emailed the Kokosnuss Garden resort to make arrangements for being met at the airport. The road to Coron town from the airport is fairly rough, with cattle grids made of wooden logs that have broken up and take some slow navigation to get over. Some sections of the road are being concreted, and I assume over time will extend all the way to town, cutting the transit time from 45 minutes to 20 minutes or so.

A pleasant surprise at the Kokosnuss as it is a nice chilled place, with a few alternative styles of accommodation ranging from 450 pesos a night to 1880 for the full works, with separate chalet and mural decorated walls and our own large Gecko and spiders for night time entertainment.

Despite being told that this place was too far out of town, it was only about 15 minute walk down the main National Highway...in this place...a narrow single road! Passed a frtui stall on the way selling 'Star Apple, for 2 pesos each. Only just come in to season and delicious, so bought some to eat on the walk to town. A soft white pulpy interior that is just sucked from the soft outer shell after ripping it open with your fingers. Green and purple versions are available.

After a walk around the town for half and hour...not very big...Eat at 'La Sirenetta' restaurant, at the end of a pier and overlooking Coron island.

From here you can see the 'Coron' sign, illuminated like Hollywood on a small hill above the town.

On the higher mount Tablas adjacent to it is an Illuminated cross, which will make an interesting walk for sunset one evening.

The initial walk around the town shows that this place is more expensive than expected, and also on the verge of development. A new market area is being developed on the waterfront, that is only in its initial stages at present. It marks what I see as the beginning of something big here.

Another thing this place is becoming famous for is diving, having some of the most unspoilt sites in the Philippines. During the 2nd world war, a large group of Japanese war ships were sunk here, and so have developed a great infrastructure for wreck diving. I plan to make a couple of dives whilst here.

Another unique thing is the area north of Busuanga island on Caluit Island. A colony of imported animals from Kenya was inaugurated in the early 1970's as the only wildlife reserve in the whole of the Philippines. It is an expensive trip to make, but a worthwhile one as I am getting withdrawal symptoms from having not seen much wildlife in a long time.

 

Mon 16th Feb - A short tricycle ride from us is Horse riding at Horse Valley, so went there in the afternoon. It was a funny experience, as the horses are wild and left to run around an area of jungle, so the guy had to fetch them first. He took half an hour to bring in three horses, which then fled once again when he hadn't roped them to anything, so he had to run after them again. The horse he was going to put me on was called Charlie, and he couldn't even control it himslef, so I told him it was going to be his horse. Shiera got 'Valentine' because it had a white heart between its eyes and was pregnant! I got June, who was quite appropriate in that it seemed to always want to be in front and quite a feisty character. We were out about three hours for 600 pesos each and stopped off at a hillock where the illuminated Coron sign is. The return stretch was nice as it went off road through a quiet area of Nipa huts and plantation. After a hot and sticky, but enjoyable ride, we returned to Kokosnuss and relaxed the rest of the day over some local coconut snacks and cheap bottle of Filipino brandy and coke and Shiera got pissed. Shame on that girl!

 

Tue 17th Feb – Lazy day involving some research for tomorrow.

 

Wed 18th Feb – Had researched the alternatives of how to get to the Calauit Nature Reserve, located on a separate island to the north of Busuanga. Chartering a Bangca costs 11,000 pesos and can hold upto 11 passengers, but unless you form a group it is very expensive. Another way is to hire a van for 6,000 pesos and share with upto 10 passengers. The problem there is also getting sufficient people to join. Now is quiet and so not easy to do. The final alternative is to go by motorbike. You can hire a driver for 2,500 pesos, also expensive considering the bikes only cost upto 600 pesos including gas and we wanted to stay overnight on the island, which would have made it difficult. The remaining alternative was to hire a motorbike myself and go it alone…the cheapest alternative, but one that was to prove the least favourable option, as will become clear! Many operators in Coron town will hire motorbikes of varying standards, from 500 to 1000 pesos. I Hired our motorbike from Boyet motorcycles for 500 pesos per day and collected at 8am. He is a nice guy and full of good information. The main piece of advice he couldn’t really give, and the one I wish he had was…don’t do it…it is hell unless you are a really proficient motorbike rider, which I am not. Something that I am now clearly aware of!

Full of confidence and armed with some light changes of clothing for the overnight stay, plus a reasonable hand drawn map of the island as no proper map exists….set off into the unknown. There is a major project by the present governor to provide a paved road all the way north, aimed for completion sometime next year…in time for the elections…he will not stand for re-election, and so it is likely he will want to see it finished for his term comes to an end. This piece of information I did not have and when the concreted road ran out after around 10km out of town, I was surprised. Coming from the airport was rough road for most of it, but I hadn’t allowed for the majority of the 80km to Calauit being rough road…very rough road, and beyond my capabilities as a rider. Not being perturbed by the terrible condition and also struggling with the bike, I soldiered on. Had a small accident some way ahead when the gravel was so loose and slippy, that I lost it and had a couple of deep cuts, some abrasions and broken wing mirror as a souvenir. Shiera escaped with a small abrasion or two. Confidence rattled and the temperature rising a lot, slowed down to between 10 and 15km per hour! Now, the locals are claimed to do this in 1 ½ hours, something I find impossible….

On the way, numerous bridges where only broken wooden boards are flimsily in place to ride across on. A few that are decent enough to not be worthy of comment. A few interestingly named villages along the way…Conception…Salvation…. I got to know why they chose those names…Salvation from the bloody crap roads! At a small village we had to find a clinic for me to get cleaned up….disinfectant on a couple of the wounds was a reminder that I hadn’t lost any of my sense of pain!...ouch!  At Conception we needed feeding and headed for the pier. Located next to it was a haven at the Palace Pier restaurant. The only resort in the area and very nice indeed. The rooms look to be good, and a monopoly in the town as there is no other accommodation. Could have visited the waterfalls from here, but decided to stop on the way back, so onwards with plenty yet to cover. Even though I thought the conditions couldn’t get any worse, they did. It got to the point that I was so tired and unhappy with the road, that we were lucky that a passing guy on a motorbike would drive the rest of the way to the Calauit pier for us. Turned out to be a lucky meeting as he was also the guy who operated the Bangka that crossed the water over to the island…Jhum was his name.

At his house, his mother made us coffee whilst he went back to collect his bike. On his return, we made the crossing in a tiny boat the short (5 minute) crossing to this small remote island.

Between us we had come to the conclusion that I wasn’t going to make the return journey to Coron tomorrow, preferring to hire Jhum’s services to drive us back there, and so set about negotiating a price. The standard fee for the boat crossing is 200 pesos per person..not negotiable. Agreed on 700 pesos all inclusive for the return tomorrow with some stops along the way. A bargain I reckoned.

On arrival on Calauit, we were greeted by the admissions man…350 pesos for non-locals and 250 pesos for Filipinos. The accommodation is cheap at 200 pesos each. As is turned out, we were the only ones visiting, so we had the attention of everyone personally…superb! Jhum took us upto the guy who was the manager of the project, and I instantly felt like I was back in Africa! I will tell you a little about the project shortly….

 

The lady who runs the accommodation showed us our room in a dormitory style building…comfortable enough, and with mosquito nets provided. The manager’s daughter runs the shop and restaurant facilities. The system is that you choose your food from the shop and they cook it for you. Not a massive choice, but this is remote and cannot be expected to be much more. One of the guys kept us supplied with Buko (Young coconut) drink through our stay. Wandering around the place is like having your own savannah to explore. Giraffes, Zebras and Calamian Deer roaming freely and in reasonable numbers. A separate compound for a few Giraffe, who are undergoing treatment. After settling in and showering after an ordeal of a journey in getting here, it was time to explore before dinner at 7pm. No noise other than the birds and insects until the generator started at 6:30pm. Heaven on Earth!...

Dinner was interesting…Pancit (noodles), Corned beef, Rice, Buko and a warm beer…no ice to provide cold drinks… And then Videoke! As the generator had started, the nightly entertainment you cannot escape…anywhere in the Philippines!....The peace of the Savannah broken by Videbloodyoke!...Goodnight….zzzzz……and then the sounds of more interesting nocturnal activity…animals fighting outside and more like Africa….zzzzz….

 

A bit about this project……..

The ‘Calauit Game Preserve and Wildlife Sanctuary’ CGPWS began in 1976 when the Philippine government (under the control of Marcos), chartered a project to find an isolated island to accommodate animals that had been donated from Kenya. Calauit was remote, isolated and very much like an African Savannah land. Over time, the animals…Zebra, Giraffe, Eland, Impala… all from Kenya, plus Alligator, Porcupine, wild boar and Bearcat from Mindanao, were located here. Breeding has been successful with the giraffes and Zebras, but others have suffered losses. The Python is common here and managed to eat some of the wild boar, deer and Bearcat. Many have now been relocated into caged areas for their protection.

 

Thu 19th Feb – Set the alarm for 6am so that we would have breakfast before going on a tour of the island. Except that Shiera hadn’t slept much and suggested we went to see the sun rise. So, at 5am we were out and aiming west in the dark. The faint outlines of the Giraffes and the glowing eyes of the Calamian deers reflecting in my head torch made for a nice start to the day.  The glistening sheen of spiders webs on the ground added to the atmosphere. At about 5:45am a stunning sunrise made the early start worthwhile, and also allowed us to see a herd of Zebra coming in for early feeding. Back for breakfast…corned beef, eggs and rice plus coffee and Buko again…yummee….

Back out for the morning guided walk….not charged for this! It was lovely to have this to ourselves… Fed the Giraffes as well as some deer. Managed to spot some Eland although they are timid and couldn’t get too close. The guide’s party piece was to play with some of the animals to get them to move, otherwise they were fairly dormant. Wasn’t too happy with this…they are not performers! Anyway…a Really nice walk and talk for a couple of hours in the wonderful peace and isolation of this part of Philippines heaven.

Got collected from the island at 10am by Jhum and off on a har-raising trip back to Coron. With his mate driving a second motorcycle and us clinging on for all we could, I think this was a White-knuckle ride at 50 to 60km per hour over pseudo-lunar landscape not to be forgotten.

We had agreed to be dropped off once the road turned to concrete and that was a major relief!

On the way, we stopped at the Conception waterfalls for a very pleasant swim. The falls are very pretty and the water cool, but not freezing.

 

The feeling of a refreshing shower on getting back to Kokosnuss was beyond description…so won’t try!

Off into town later to eat and check out the options for getting to El Nido on the Palawan mainland, sometime over the next few days. I had read about a shipping lines company running a boat once per week, but that had left on Wednesday. The word in the town t=was that it doesn’t run anymore….but it does. The problem here is that everything seems to be geared around getting as much money out of the few tourists that visit. Bangkas make the journey to El Nido almost every day, but the price is 2200 pesos per head. A flight used to go but that was abandoned some time ago, and so now, the only choice is the extortionate 2200 pesos for the 6 hour trip.

 

Fri 20th Feb - Started the day with a brief stop at the adjacent hospital to get my wounds treated, followed by breakfast at the Seadive resort in the main town area. Fully booked for a while, so wasn't able to stay there, but worth considering next time...free wi-fi, limitless free tea and coffee, and the best range of food in town, and good price.

Wasn't sure about the options for moving on from here. Had considered El Nido being the main option, which is on the main Palawan Island. Checking around showed that the flights that used to exist have all been ceased due to cost, so only flights to/from Manila now exist. The passenger boats to El Nido have also been pruned back. Two large Bangkas exist; the Jezebel and the Overrun, which cost a fixed 2,200 pesos a head, with nothing included and no stops, taking around 6 to 8 hours and leaving at 8 or 9am on alternate days... changeable. The 'Asiente' shipping company runs a once a week ferry leaving on Wednesdays at 10pm, taking 10 hours and costing 950 pesos (booking office on the main road near the port. Wanted to consider the options for a while as would have also liked to do some diving before leaving Coron, although not essential.

Picked up a tricycle to check out the main port and then decided to go to the 'Hot springs' for a dip. Lucky to get the place to ourselves, something we seem to strike lucky with often. 100 pesos admission each, but worth it. The location is beautiful overlooking the lovely scenery of surrounding islands. One main thermal pool has two smaller higher temperature pools attached. Comfortable and slightly salty, we spent a couple of hours relaxing and taking in the views.

On the way back to town, stopped by the Landbank, the only place in town with an ATM...unfortunately, it is only for their customers and doesn't take visa/mastercard etc. Shame...the only way of getting money in the whole island is to bring it or have currency to exchange. The day an ATM appears, will be a major step forward for tourism here.

Dropped off at a travel agent and was made aware of another option. Instead of going to El Nido, we decided to change plan and head for Puerto Princesa instead. Super ferry run the once per week sailing, leaving tomorrow at 6:15am and with price options. Bought the economy tickets including three meals for 950 pesos. Seems ironic that we will travel much further, with better standard and meals for less than half the cost of going to El Nido.

Happy to now have an arrangement and tickets in hand, set off to enjoy the rest of the day.

A great lunch back at Seadive Resort, and then took a detour to explore the old Coron village. A pretty and rustic collection of shanty huts built over the water, with rambling broken wooded pathways to reach them. Some paths are so rickety that the whole thing shakes with every step, and almost seems to be ready to collapse.

Afternoon and evening back at Kokosnuss  and getting ready for moving on. A fun evening of Videoke over a San Miguel beer. Getting into it now and sing whenever I can.

Mosquitos are a pain here and so nets are available, but still need to cover up and use plenty of repellant before going to bed...zzzz....

 

Sat 21st Feb - Up at 4:30am to catch a tricycle to the port. Had to pre-arrange this as the tricycles normally don't start until around 7am. Supposed to get under way at 6:15am, but was delayed until 8am, due to security baggage searches...sniffer dogs used as a first pass, plus luggage searching of everyone then body frisking.

The ship was a comfortable ride. Breakfast was simple, but adequate, with better food available at extra cost. Top end accommodation is available in a 'State room' as well as a nice air-conditioned restaurant, albeit at a higher price. The cheap accommodation we were in was ok, but noisy and warm, so not easy to get any sleep. For an extra few hundred pesos the 'Tourist class' was available, with more solid bunk beds and aircon.

Arrived in Puerto Princesa at 9:30pm'ish. A sea of tricycle drivers ready to pounce as we exited the port boundary. Had seen on a map that the main town is walkable from the port, so dodged the hawkers and carried on. Looked at a couple of accommodaion options nearby but they were expensive (best was the Puerto Pension at a minimum of 1300 pesos including simple breakfast), so ended up getting a tricycle anyway. Finished at the nice Ardent hotel (1150 pesos per night with free wi-fi but no breakfast), a little way out of town as everything else looked a bit dire. Decided to only stay one night and get out of town to Sabang in the morning.

As usual, the information is rubbish....one person, confirmed by another, told us that the buses to Sabang would leave at 7am, 9am, 11am etc thru until 3pm. Minivans and Jeepneys are all available for the same route, and all leave from the central market. That bit was correct...

 

Sun 22nd Feb - The Ardent has a super range of food available as well as a spa and sauna. Thinking we had plenty of time, we took a leisurely breakfast whilst checking email. Was about to head for an ATM and asked again about the Sabang transport, to find different staff on today who told me a different story. The last bus was at 11am, with maybe another one at 3pm, but not certain. With an hour to go, decided to rush to the central market bus terminal. The hotel were kind to take us there....to find that the 11am bus wasn't going to happen and there would be no more buses for a while. The only option would be a van at 2,500 pesos or a Jeepney for 300 pesos each, and it turned out that would not leave until 12 noon, so a long time to wait. It just proves that most of the Philippines, and especially this area, is hopeless for planning anything, as it continually changes, and even the locals have no reliable idea on what is running.

So, squashed into a Jeepney and stocked up with some snacks for the journey, we set off....

Was surprised to find most of the road was concrete, with a few stretches of tarmac and only a small percentage unmade surface. Arrived at Sabang in around 2 1/2 hours, to what seemed like a village being built. The transport terminal is on the waterfront adjacent to the Tourism centre, and is currently being made into a proper paking area. For now though, it is a mess. A guy approached us asking if we wanted accommodation, and dismissed the places I mentioned as being no good. Not unusual, but decided to follow him and check out what he was offering. Sabang beach follows a bay that seems to trap strong waves and is windy. We were lead to the far end of the arc, to Mary's cottages. Got a Nipa hut for 600 pesos. Cold water only, but in a beautiful location separated from everyone else and peaceful. No mosquitos here, but nets provided if required.

Soon after arriving, the done thing was to go for a swim...something that should carry a very strong warning! Undertow  is very strong here. That is, the waves coming in, are counteracted with a strong flow back out under the surface, that you don't see, but is strong enough to sweep you out and no matter how hard you swim, you struggle against it. We got a taste of it very rapidly, and had to battle to avoid being swept out to sea. Was a shock and not a good start, but survived it...phew...

Walked back to the village later. This place is very basic, and only one resort, the very attractive Daluyong, exists. The rest are just nipa huts. Another even bigger resort is under construction, and I guess will dominate the future development here. At the pier where we had arrived, the scene changes as the beach gets dirtier and then vanishes, to be replaced by the stony mess of the real Sabang village. The nipa huts here are ocals only, and a different story to the beach area. I expect that it will remain this way for a long time without the beach to attract visitors to this stretch, and hence no developers, only a couple of backpacker cottage owners.

A few nice choices of eateries along the front and in town, fish being the main diet here....shark, tuna, mahimahi etc

No electricity throughout the day and power only when generators are used. The strength of the waves and accompanying wind increased as the night progressed, and a very breezy walk back to the cottage later on, with almost no light to guide the way, but a superb starry sky due to the lack of light pollution.

Went to sleep to the sound of the waves and little else, with our cottage only metres away from the beach....zzzz.....

 

Mon 23rd Feb - A lazy day planned today ahead of a day sightseeing tomorrow. Nice breakfast overlooking the sea, and then off for a short walk, after watching the locals saddle up a Caribou cart...the lazy way to travel!

Mary's cottages couldn't be in a more perfect location. We had heard of another beach close by, and we were also at the starting point of the 'Monkey trail'. Within a hundred metres is a superb flat white sand beach, with almost no development, plus a much safer beach. The most interesting feature though, is a small island outcrop that shows the evolution of this rugged landscape to perfection. A stratified mound that must date back millions of years, multicoloured with the different solidified sediments. The view along the coast from here is a postcard image. Perfect white sans and rugged landscape, surmounted by the limestone mountain behind. It is this that brings visitors to the area...the famous St Pauls Undeground river. 8km of it, and accessed from the Monkey trail or by road. For now we just stayed on the beach and swam in the warm sea, so much safer than the other beach. At times we had the whole beach to ourselves.

Back to Mary's for lunch and a bit of catching up in a hammock overlooking the waves.

 

Tue 24th Feb - Underground river via Monkey trail

 

Wed 25th Feb - This morning's objective was to finalise tomorrow's transport to El Nido. This is when you come to realise how much the tourists are riped off here. For example, coming here we paid 100 pesos on the Jeepney. Foreigners are charged 300. At the wharf there are Tourist Transport Service vans that try to charge 9,000php for the 8hour journey using toyota Hi-Ace aircon vans. Using a bit of negotiating skills we managed to get this down to 6,000 in a 10-seater. The problem then was to get 10 passengers. Not easy when people are spread out and not around. Ended up leaving my mobile number around some places. The other option and the fall-back option is to get the 7am jeepney out of here to the Salvacion junction on the higheay, and catch the passing bus from Puerto Princesa, which should pass around 10 or 11am. Total cost maybe 350pesos, and so the cheapest. Mayor Edward Hagedorn is the guy who is spearheading much of the development here. The problem is getting the locals to support a fair system, as they are so greedy to get as much as they can. I am always disappointed when approached by children who ask for money for a photgraph. It happens here already, and the attitude isn't as friendly as found elsewhere in the philippines, as I think they resent the foreigners coming to take over their town. A Filipino term I learnt this morning is 'Thick face'...which means not shy and can talk to anyone, so they are the only ones who can communicate with the tourists. A couple of 'thick face' guys stand out after a couple of days here, who are obviously on commission as they were trying to push people into taking the expensive 1,700php option to go by Bangca.

At the other side of the wharf going around the bay, you reach the old town with the Dabdabs and Blue Bamboo cottages backpacker places. Had an interesting chat with the lady who owns blue bamboo. Land here used to sell for an average of 50 pesos per sq m. Now that has risen to between 500 and 1000 as all of the beachfront land has been sold to developers, such as Sheraton and owned by foreigners...not one Filipino. Mary's cottages has been here 25 years although the original owner Mary is dead now, it is still owned by relatives. The wharf project should be completed by end 2009, the 154 room Sheraton within 2 years, and who knows what else is in the pipeline. The main emphasis is to take advantage of the St Paul's underground river, as there isn't much else in the area. No diving available and any snorkelling is some way off towards other islands.  A short way past the blue bamboo cottages is the Esplanade resort, which is showing its age as another of the oldest here. Through it is a chinese Tao temple that is also trying to take advantage of a view across the bay at what they call the 'Sleeping Buddha' - a land formation that does put your imagination to test to see what they mean. We sat and stared across the bay from that side to imagine what this place would look like in say 5 or 10 years from now. It will never be another Boracay, as it doesn't have much to offer. The sea is too strong for most of the year for it to offer good swimming, and as I said, no real dive opportunities.

Bought a nice fish for 60 pesos from a stall in the town to cook for dinner later, and then strolled back to Mary's to chill the rest of the afternoon.

At 11pm was in bed and my mobile rang. The driver we had organised for the morning wanted to increase the price from 6000 to 8000! I'm sure he knew he was too late for us to do anything about it. Couldn't contact any of the others in the group, and so were stuck. Through some arguing we managed to get him to agree on 7000, but then he still didn't seem happy. Will have to see in the morning.

 

Thu 26th Feb - Got to the tourist assistance centre at the agreed time, and no van...no Lui the driver. Rang him and he was in Puerto Princesa, 2 hours away. Annoyed with him, and feeling let down, we argued again and he agreed to get somone there, but not him. Wasn't bothered to wait around for a couple hours as had lost faith in anything he now had to say. The wharf area was full of local boatmen keen to sell us a trip to El Nido for 11,000 pesos. Other van drivers now wanted to charge us 12,000 pesos knowing we were theoretically stuck. They wanted 2,500 pesos to juske us to Salvation junction! The tourist centre didn't want to know...much use they are...crap...only interested in taking money for fees into the park! Nobody wanted to help. What was even more annoying was that half the group who were also supposed to be going with us, didn't turn up, so there were only four of us now. Spotted a truck loaded with a few school children pull into the wharf area and so I ran over and asked if they would take us to 'Salvation Junction' on the highway, and the driver initially refused, saying it was a school trip. I offered him some money and he changed his mind! Over the next half an hour the truck stopped at a couple of schools and filled up with around 100 children and a few teachers and parents. Standing room only, as there were so many. It was great fun and they thought it great that we were ther with them....full of smiles and play. They were on a trip to Puerto Princesa for the day, so lucky for us. For the next hour and a half we bounced around stood up in the back of the truck with them. Where the road turned to dirt track, the billowing dust clouds filled the truck and the heat baked on a layer of dirt. Arrived at the Salvation junction at 10am and luckily, the El Nido bus hadn't passed yet. Plenty of Sari-sari stores there to stock up with snacks for the journey. Only had an hour to wait, as the bus arrived at 11am with plenty of spare seats. 300 pesos each for the 5 hour ride from there, had paid the school truck driver 100 pesos each, and so the whole trip cost 400 pesos! This fiasco needs a letter to the minister for tourism, as it is painful, extortionate and to be honest, not worth the cost of going to Sabang. They want it to be the seventh wonder of the natural world. What they really want is to make the locals realise what they are doing to their own prosperity by stuffing up the tourists! My advice is...be prepared for a rough ride...in many ways!

The initial part of the northward journey was fairly smooth concrete surface, and so the driver threw the bus around every corner. He of course knew what was coming up ahead, as the road changed to rough dirt track occasionally broken up by short sections of concrete. The billowing dust was choking for most of the time and the temperature rising as we progressed. A couple of toilet stops en-route in Roxas and Taytay, finally arriving in El Nido at 5pm.

It is no wonder the state of the buses are dire, as the conditions are terrible for most of the time. It does confirm though, that the price charged by the tourist vans are a total rip-off. The cost of gasoline here is no different than anywhere else I have seen in the Philippines, currently around 31pesos per litre of diesel and 36 for high grade unleaded.

The couple who had travelled with us from Sabang were from the uk and enjoying the adventure, having only only been in the Philippines for a few days now...a rapid introduction to a less organised and smooth transport system than experienced in the UK!

Accommodation on the beach isn't too bad at 800 a room on average, with most only cold water as usual. Most places are on generator for most of the time as there is no permanent electricity. Stayed at Casa  bena in a clean room which was above a family home. Nobody there for most of the time, and really hot with inadequate ventilation, and a hot shower that didn't work, but seems as though most are like that.

 

Fri 27th Feb - Up early to see the sun rise, but didn't see much as it appeared from behind the limestone karst hills that tower above the town, and then vanished into the clouds. Gave us a nice view over the bay though, which is pretty.

This place used to be a backpacker haven, but it seems to have overrun and is now a bit too expensive for most I guess. No ATMs still, and cash advances against visacard only available at the Art boutique for a whopping 10% commission or the Caltex garage around the corner for 6%. A few dive shops such as Sea Dogs offering 2 dives for 2,800 and 3 for 3,500 pesos all inclusive of equipment and lunch. The main activity here seems to be island hopping and snorkelling, plus chilling of course.

 

That's it for now folks......

 

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.