Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Caleruega Church

PHILIPPINES | Tuesday, 27 January 2009 | Views [3732]

Sat 24th Jan - Had planned to spend the weekend away somewhere local, but plans had to change due to a problem Sheira had to deal with. Went walkabout in Tagaytay instead. Had heard about the possibility of some dancing in Tagaytay at the Filipino Casino, so picked up a Jeepney part way and walked the rest. The casino is a little out of town on the Batangas road, and has a hall in the Casino building. No dancing tonight, only Thursdays in the ballroom. Tonight though has a jazz singer Nina performing. A combined 300 peso ticket gives access to the show plus 200 pesos tokens for the casino.

Next week is Chinese new year and so there is plenty of events going on in the area that look interesting.

 

Sun 25th Jan – The weather was nice today, so decided to go out for the day. A place that Sheira had planned to go for a while seemed a good idea and not that far from here. The place is Calareuga Church, in an area called Butalao near to Nasugbo. A Crow bus through Tagaytay and then on towards Nasugbo getting off at the Evercrest hotel & golf resort. One the way there, the scenery was beautiful. The more I get to see of the Tagaytay area, the more I love it. It is very rural with awesome scenery and plenty of options for walking and quality places to go. Restaurants of every type abound in the area and it is easy access to many other places of interest from here.

Once at the Evercrest there were plenty of tricycles to take us the rest of the way, which is only a few kilometers. The church is famous in these parts as the location of choice for weddings, conventions and special occasions. The setting is just beautiful atop a hill and overlooking the magnificent countryside including the Taal volcano. The grounds are have been landscaped and planted with many exotic plants and shrubs, and also include a picnic park. On the way from the top where the church is to the lower park area they have created a lovely elevated bridge area overlooking many ponds of large koi carp in a semi-jungle setting. A magic place for an afternoon picnic and walk.

On the way back we decided to walk, but ended up hitching a lift from a family who had been picking their vegetable crop in the field and were crammed into their own Jeepney. They were all grubby from a day’s work out in the fields and looked tired from it, but were happy to give us the lift.

In Tagaytay we had been offered to visit a friend of Sheira’s and her expat Hungarian husband, so decided to take up the offer. Laszlo and Beth were lovely; very hospitable and talkative. We were treated to a rather unusual meal whilst chatting. Laszlo has had an amazing background including artwork and photography throughout many countries that I had visited recently, and it was interesting to see some works of his that I could relate to. The expat community in the area has regular meetings and a newsletter for events, so there is potential there to join in.

 

Mon 26th Jun – Was hoping today to hear from the Post Office in Manila that my mail had arrived but nothing. It has been 2 weeks now and think that it has got lost. Should not take that long for a simple letter from the UK. Very frustrating indeed, but have to wait a little longer before deciding what to do about it.

Had been to the Balinsasayaw restaurant before Christmas and decided to go again today. Better this time as the sun was shining and just a gentle breeze blowing through the Nipa hut dining huts. The standard of food is really good and, being the only restaurant in Silang, a monopoly when it comes to eating out.

The Silang festival is next weekend and preparations are under way for it around the town. The main plaza has a stage that was running performances from local groups of children, but couldn’t get close enough when I was there as it was very busy.

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.