Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Kota Kinabalu to the Philippines

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 14 December 2008 | Views [4905] | Comments [2]

This blog is a long one…Sorry, I haven’t been on line much recently as been busy and haven’t had easy access. Anyway, better late than never….. Sit down with a nice Cappuccino and a comfortable chair and read on….

Fri 5th Dec – Time to change country today, as I Fly to Clark airport north of Manila in the Philippines at 15:30 aboard Air Asia flight AK502. Check-in time 2hrs, so thought I would get to the airport early in case of traffic delays. Time to say goodbye to Rose, who has been lovely to be with. A very intelligent lady leading to some great conversations and learnt a lot in the process. Second shower of the day that made no difference as roasting outdoors.

A change of currency to the Philippine Peso, and got 13.72 peso to the Ringgit. It is always tricky when doing currency exchange if you have no idea of the costs when you get there. I had at least done a bit of research to check out the transport costs, so had a fair idea.

As usual, went to the check-in area and asked which was the one for Manila. We don't know yet, so you will have to wait until it is announced. To one side I noticed a long queue forming at a counter which didn't have any details displayed yet. Didn't want to stand there, but wondered why. Turned out that was the one for Manila. So why were the locals told to wait there but not me? Is it a foreigner thing? Anyway, I wasn't alone and got talking to a Canadian guy about stuff, so passed the time nicely. Got talking about people connections. Have you ever talked to someone randomly from another part of the world, to find out that you both know the same person? I have, many times...and it's rather eerie when it happens. I heard recently that we are all connected by at most five people in-line, that is friend of friend of friend, or family connection etc. Not sure about that, but interesting to know how they arrived at that figure?

After getting through check-in and proceeding to passport control, a pretty girl came along side of me....you going to Manila?...yes...for how long?...I don't know, maybe a few months, but not sure...would you like to stay at least a year, and she put her arm around me and smiled. I guess the Philippines might live up to its reputation...they're friendly!

The flight was the fullest I have been on with Air Asia and took off on time, with the rains just starting. So, it is goodbye to Sabah and Malaysia. Don't know when I will return, but will some day. It has been full of nice experiences, wonderful people, and happy memories. The Malays are amongst the most helpful and friendly people on earth, for whom I have a lot of respect. There are many things I haven't done here that I could have fitted in. The Danum valley, Tabin National Park and Pulau Tiga, to name a few. But I no longer try to do everything, and whatever I haven't done can wait for another visit, as there definitely will be one.

 

Arrived at Clark airport (Diosdado Macapagal) at 17:30. Simple immigration but shocked at only getting 21 days visa, as I thought it was going to be 2 months. She said I could extend I at their office, no idea where that is, so will have to find out. Right outside of customs clearance is the bus booking desk for Philtranco and cost 350 Pesos (1GBP=75 Pesos). The Bus, which is right outside of the door leaves at 6pm for Manila, and takes 2 hours to get to the SM Megamall Terminal in Manila, and 2 1/2 hours to get to Pasay, which is where I needed to go. The buses are timed to coincide with the Air Asia flight schedule, so it all fits together easily. As it turned out, a Filipino lady in the seat in front of me on the plane was going to Cavite, and spoke good English, so decided to travel down there together.

The route leaving the airport was chaotic and crawled at a snail’s pace for a while. I didn’t mind as I got to take in some of my first sights of the country. Jeepneys and Tricycles everywhere. For anyone who doesn’t know…. A Jeepney is a long four wheel vehicle with bench seats down each side and come in many designs, each one personalized by its owner to be, in many cases, a work of art bedecked in all manner of decorations. Most are chromed and some look like old fashioned 1920’s style wide wheeled pieces of history. A tricycle is a motorbike with a side-car. Capable of seating two people (or three at a squeeze) in the side-car and one person or more behind the driver, and generally priced upto 20 pesos in the town, depending on the location and distance, more obviously if going beyond the town limit.

Apart from the above mentioned, there were all manner of transport, from busses to some that don’t fit any category. After clearing Clark the road opens out into a toll highway and so the pace speeded up for a while…and then we hit Manila! Of dear…Manila…it lives up to its reputation. We almost ground to a halt and crawled in amongst the mass of buses, Jeepneys, Tricycles, and the like. At one point we got pulled in to the kerb by a traffic cop. For a while he paced around the bus and got his book out as if to fine the driver for something, but didn’t actually write anything. Turned out that this is a regular event and it is a ‘Christmas Present’ for the cops. A bit of corruption going on in getting some pocket money from the drivers that gets hidden!

So after what seemed like an age, the bus got through some of the mass traffic of Manila and to our destination of Pasay. The taxi touts descended on the bus as soon as it pulled into the bus station. Now, being the only foreigner that I had seen since leaving the airport, made me stand out from the crowd as usual, and got a lot more attention that anyone else. Between the Filipino lady (Grace) and myself, we bartered a deal to take her to her town first and then me to where I wanted to go for 1,400 Pesos. An old guy picked up our bags and stuff and put it in the boot of the taxi, and then held his hand out for a ‘Christmas present’ or ‘Kotong’ as it is called (a word of Chinese origin)…I think they are cashing on Christmas a fair bit here!! Needless to say, everyone looked at me to pay him, so I got the feeling that they were thinking…here comes rich foreigner time! If only that was true…Anyway, a brief stop off for a takeaway to eat in the taxi en-route and another stall to buy a Philippines ‘Globe’ SIM card (150 Pesos for the starter pack, plus 300 Pesos credit top-up)..cost 16 pesos a text. Then off south of the city….On the way she told me about a problem she had at the airport. They have a bit of a scam going between Filipinos who have a large amount of luggage to bring through immigration. A helper finds other passengers who are not using their full baggage limit, and they get paid a small amount to carry other peoples goods for them. The person who owns the luggage pays less than they would in normal airline excess baggage charges, but to be honest, with the reputation about illegal trafficking, I wouldn’t bring anyone else’s goods in for them. It works for them though.

In such a short space of time I went through many styles of area and saw many sights. All too much for one evening and was feeling very tired, as didn’t get much sleep last night and been on the road for a while now. Had the address of the place I was aiming for in Silang Proper (the term ‘Proper’ on the signs here just means the main town), and managed to track down what we thought was the right place. So got out and started knocking on the door..nobody answered. Kept on for a while and someone turned up in a car wondering why I was knocking and who I was. Fair enough thought at midnight…it appeared that there was two buildings with the same name in Silang…me at the wrong one of course. Anyway, got to the right one as texted my friend Sheira wondering what was going on and she came and found me. So all ended well. Today was moving day for her as she was moving from a house and so things were in a bit of turmoil. Just the right time for me to arrive then! Was nice to catch up before crashing out after a long day.

 

Sat 6th Dec – Today was a ‘normal’ day, if one of those exists? New environment and new experiences in a different country and a way of life to explore. First off was a mission to get some food in for today, so went off to the market. I love markets as they are everyday events for people, and every country has its idiosyncrasies on how markets work and the range of produce available. Sheira's parents run a stall in the market selling groceries and stopped off to say hello and introduce myself. A lovely couple called Napoleon and Susan, who were instantly friendly, as Asian people are. The journey to the market was an experience in itself, as I am the only foreigner in the area so it seemed, and therefore attracted quite a lot of attention, especially a foreigner walking along with a Filipino lady. I love the way people will play with you as a game of friendly interaction plays out. I was relaxed and happy to be there, and with lovely friendly company to explain life…the Filipino way.

Now, Silang is placed in a lovely rural part of the country in the foothills of a mountain, and only a short ride to the small town of Tagaytay. Ideally placed for a view of the active Taal Volcano. Fortunately, it hasn’t erupted in a long time, and hopefully, not whilst I am here, but will be climbing it whilst I am here. Getting about is an introduction to transport in the Philippines, and the infamous Jeepney. Paid by the distance and only about 20 pesos each. The front of the Jeepney has a signboard showing its destination, and it is a hailing system. Just stand wherever you want and put your hand out when you spot the one going where you want. Shout ‘Para po’ or just ‘Para’ when you want it to stop. The ubiquitous Starbucks is there plus some other nice eateries, with great view of Taal mountain on island. It was a bit cold and windy as we are fairly high here. Nice place for a Cappuccino and cake, and a good social atmosphere.

Dinner was an interesting concoction…the starter was Balot…chicken embryos! 12 pesos for one egg from a street vendor, and similar to the duck embryos that I had in northern Vietnam some months ago, washed down with red wine and the fish we had bought in the market this morning served with a fiery sauce and rice, finished off with ice-cream. An interesting combination!

I fancied some dancing and so we took a tricycle out to a resort offering dancing, Videoke/Karaoke and a swimming pool. The singing was fun and finished off with a fun time in the swimming pool, then caught a  Jeepney back to town. Some wine to finish off and accompanied by nice conversation talking to Sheira and her very astute sister Kaye until 3am. Zzzzzz……

 

Sun 7th Dec – Early morning start…too early considering having only gone to bed at 3am…but things to do for the girls, as they are still sorting out the new house. I was helping clear out blocked drains at 2:30am, which is different to normal travel experiences! They have washing machines to connect up, broadband connections to get installed, etc, but we also want to get out and about for them to show me the area. Today’s mission was to climb the Taal volcano. Needed to take walking boots for was supposed to be an hour's climb to the top, and take a picnic for a bit of alfresco viewing. The reality was a bit different.....

Took a Jeepney to a place near to Tagaytay and then had to negotiate with a tricycle driver to take us to Leknes, which is where the boat transfer is to the Taal volcano island. Only cost 100 pesos for the journey, and was amazed at how far it was and how winding the road was. The boat or Bangkas, was a fixed price of 2000 pesos for the return trip, but that included a guide and we had as much time as we wanted. They provided life jackets and thin disposable poncho raincoats, which we thought we didn't need! Mistake....the boats are long and narrow with outriggers on each side...the sea was rough, and we were lashed by the head-on waves and got drenched. It was excellent fun, and even though we looked a mess when we arrived, we were happy and laughing all the way. Fortunately, it was warm and hence we weren't bothered as expected we would dry off. At the boat landing, we had the option to take a horse up to the volcano for 500 pesos return, but declined, as we preferred to walk. The horsemen followed us for some time trying to sell us the horse ride, and a number of people and children were trying to sell us face masks, claiming it to be so dusty, that they were essential. The reality is that the walk is an easy one and soft ground makes for comfortable walking. At one point the subterranean activity becomes apparent as jets of steam emit from vents in the ground. There was no need for the face masks either, as the dust was hardly noticeable. Took about 40 minutes to walk to the top, where the view over the crater was nice. Towards the edge of the water the colour of the ground could be seen to be interesting, and could also see steam vents in various places. Great place to break open our al fresco picnic, washed down by fresh coconut. Most people turn around at that point and return to the boat, but we wanted to trek down into the crater. They tried to charge us 2000 pesos for a guide, insisting that it was essential, but I disagreed and wanted to do it on our own. It was actually a bit tricky due to the dusty terrain and mixed areas of dense growth to break through, but we made it in under an hour, to the edge of the water. Despite not paying for a guide, we were joined at stages by guides who were interested in our safety. They didn't come right down into the crater bottom with us, and we could understand why...On the way, we passed a caldera filled with bubbling mud and rising plumes of noxious Sulphurous gases. The ground was far too hot to touch in many places, and the colour of the rocks showed the presence of Sulphur and other minerals. The water was like hot bath water, with multi-coloured rocks around the outside.

Didn't hand around for long other than to have a wash in the water, and a photoshoot. We were filthy by this stage as had slid down some of the descent, due to the steepness, so needed the wash.

Took exactly an hour to get back to the top. A nice touch was that our guide, who didn't Come down into the crater with us, was waiting part way back with some coconuts. Carried on back to the boat quickly as the light was fading. Good thing we did, as got lashed again and it went dark very rapidly. Back at Leknes and we were drenched once again and cold. We had arranged for our tricycle driver to be there to take us back, so got moving straight away. It was a long and winding road on the way back, and due to the temperature drop, a very cold ride. By the time we reached the main road in Tagaytay, we were shivering and ready for something warm, so ran across the road and into the 'Chowking' restaurant...a chain of them throughout the country and good value for money. Nice to wrap my hands around a mug of coffee and a nice Lauriat dinner.

 

Mon 8th Dec – Have been having trouble sleeping enough recently. Any little disturbance and I am awake, but still feeling tired. Part of the reason for wanting to take a break from the road was to get some energy back, as I have been feeling a bit drained lately. Problem is that I came straight into the Philippines and not rested yet, and yesterday’s adventure to the volcano, although great fun, was tiring, and was followed by another late night of conversation, so still feeling drained this morning. A domestics day today with getting laundry up to date and trying to get internet stuff done too. The other thing is that I wasn’t sure whether Silang was going to be the right place for me to take a break until I got here. Still not sure but coming to the conclusion that It might not have the facilities I am after, so rather than feeling settled, I am still concerned that I might need to move on to somewhere else, but the other aspect was to be in a place that had some atmosphere over the Christmas period, rather than being isolated. Stuff to think about….

 

 

Tue 9th Dec – The day started with poetry! Yes poetry. Sheira is a lovely girl with a passion for prose and a nice collection of poetry books, so between us, we spent a couple of hours or so reading whilst Kaye was embroidering. One book was by the infamous Leaonard Nimoy...of Dr. Spock fame in the TV series Startrek. Turned out to be some thought provoking moments and a quality time.

Later in the day needed the internet, but there was an opportunity to go to the university to check out what courses might be on offer. Got free use of the internet whilst there and also met some lovely people, in a peaceful setting. Unfortunately, I didn't sort out a course as they had nothing suitable. Not to worry as something will turn up.

Made a decision to do some travelling leaving tomorrow to Donsol in the south of Luzon region, as this month is the beginning of Whale Shark season...the Butanding as it is known here.

 

Wed 10th Dec -  The morning was a problematic one with the old landlord, which necessitated some involvement with the Baragay or local arbitrator. An ongoing situation which is common in the Philippines and results from people trying to get every centavo they can out of someone.

Even though I could have left it later to leave, I decided to go at around 3pm, as I have to go back to Pasay in Manila and then transfer to another bus going south, departing from a different station. Cost 50 Pesos for the bus to Manila Pasay city. So many bus stations that it is a mess. Every company has a different location and many cover the same destinations. I didn't want to get to Lagaspi too early in the morning, so was happy to take a later bus and had been advised to use Philtranco. This is the same station I had arrived at from Clark airport. When I got off the bus there were many bodies mooching around for business. I jumped in a tricycle...the pedal powered version. Part way along he announced it would be 150 pesos. Told him to get stuffed and would only give him 50 pesos tops. He stopped at four other bus stations all going to Lagaspi, but eventually ended up at Philtranco. The others were a bit more cramped, but left earlier. I was glad I held out as the Philtranco one was a good standard air-con for 850 Pesos, taking 11 hours and departing at 7pm. Gave me plenty of time to eat and stuff my face with rubbish. Not too impressed by the food available at the bus station! Some slithering gunk described as beef, which resembled offal....and yes it really was awful offal.

A few nice Filipinos to exchange smiles with that warms the heart...Sweet!

It has been a tough day in Silang for Sheira. Cannot go into detail, but suffice to say that many things get put into perspective when someone has problems. Nice conversation with Napoleon, Sheira's father, a very intelligent man and good English and knowledge of the Philippines due to work he used to be involved with.

The bus from Manila departed on time, and it was nice of them to come and get me personally at the right boarding time. Reassuring that the driver blessed himself before he set off! I will most probably be back here for Christmas…well...ordered to come back here!, and have been looked after so well by the girls. Very attentive and nice to be around.

 

Thus 11th Dec - Arrived in Legaspi at 7:30am to what is the usual mud bath bus station. Thought all was going well when I was pointed towards an FX van for onwards transfer to Donsol. Time to have a coffee and breakfast and chat with the owner and her cute nieces. She splits her time between here and New York, where her daughters lived, and so spoke good English. A crowd was soon building up for a photo shoot. Exciting and fun time. Also got talking to a guy about climbing the Mount Mayon volcano, which we are at the foot of. The problem is that the weather isn't that good and we cannot see it today due to mist cover.

The van really needs 10 people to make it viable, and there were presently only three of us, including two locals, so it is a waiting game. It could turn out that the van won't run at all, and I have to stay here anyway. The girls were singing sweetly to the music on the radio, so didn't mind just sitting for a while. Luckily a large group of locals arrived and so we set off with a packed vehicle to Donsol. The route is a very beautiful one. This is an agricultural area with traditional style bamboo huts lining the road, banana and palm trees completing the postcard scene. We had to make a stop at the Pilar Pier to drop off a couple of ladies. This is where I will most probably return when I take a boat onwards to Masbate soon. The driver was excellent in giving me all the info I needed in which boats to take and their times, and more importantly, which ones not to take, as they occasionally sink! The sort of thing that is really nice to know!

Got dropped in Donsol town at a busy junction with a few home stays within easy reach. The main and most obvious one was the Santiago Inn. Looks a bit run down from the outside, and even moreso from the inside, but it has character and soon negotiated a reasonable rate of 300 pesos a night, room only, as no breakfast or drinks are provided. Plenty of choice around on the streets so not bothered. I could have looked further, but as luck happens…to me anyway….a lady was sat in the common area who I got chatting to. She happened to be working for the Philippines tourism and specifically to do with an eco-project connected with the Butanding (Whale shark), the very animal I have come here to see. The project is trying to establish within the community a project where the locals develop a tourism attitude towards the Butanding and are able to create a tourism approach to something that earns them income. They currently don’t have a structured way to deal with it apparently. I was shown some brand new tourism leaflets dedicated to the Whale Shark (Rhincodon typus)…the world’s largest fish, sometimes growing upto 18 metres and 40 tonnes in weight, and living for upto 100 years. The project is also aiming at the protection of the species as it is being hunted for export, due to the high price of its meat, skin and fins.

I also met a guy who is part of the research team and a diver, who confirmed that sightings of the Butanding have been made in the area. They start to appear in December, and continue through to May, with February being the dominant month. A festival is held in April dedicated to the Butanding. Off to lunch in the market with Lisa to learn more about life in Donsol. At the entrance to the café, an old man was pounding cocoa to, one of the ingredients they use in confectionary. Pili nuts are a favourite here, so much so that Sheira had asked me to bring some back for her. A few old ladies where gathered around a table, one crushing Pili nuts, another assembling a mixed cocoa and nut paste into sweet wrappers, another one wrapping Pili nut fudge sticks. Of course I had to dig into a little free sampling. Yummee…. Lisa gave me a bag of the fudge she had been given. Couldn’t eat too much as it is a bit high in Cholesterol as it is made with condensed sweetened milk, but tasty.

Was slightly wiped out after a long journey, as didn’t sleep much, in fact don’t think I slept at all, on the bus down here. Bounced up with a shock later thinking I needed to go out and explore whilst it was still light, so picked a random direction and set off. No maps so it doesn’t matter. After a hundred metres or so I heard some music being played, so went to investigate. Turned out to be a church hall where some youths were practicing. Went in and they offered me their guitar to play, so off I went and for an hour jamming with them. Had a great time as I was singing on the microphone and that drew a large crowd of locals to come and listen in. The man in charge ‘Father George’, was trying to encourage them to learn and be able to provide better instruments for them to use.  What they had was a good start.

Lisa arrived and listened in to the entertainment and after we had finished, suggested we went off to the market for dinner. An interesting choice which doesn’t satisfy a healthy appetite, but enough.  Chicken cooked in spiced chocolate was interesting, albeit not that spicy, and a pork Bicol meal was slightly bitter and the meat was all fat, hardly any meat. At least I got a nice cold beer to wash it down with. First since I arrived in the Philippines.

A stroke of luck then happened as we went to the town center…well, if you can call it a center, but spotted the first foreigners since I had arrived in Philippines. A couple form Slovenia. Turned out that they were also here to see the Butanding and had managed to find some others to share. Maximum of seven people on ea h boat and they had six people. Fantastic luck then as I made up the remaining place on the boat. The price is now 3,500 pesos per boat including diving/snorkeling, so now only 500 pesos each. Agreed to meet at 7am tomorrow morning as we have to get to the Tourist Visitor Centre which is a short tricycle ride away, and be there by 7:30am.

Wanted to go walkabout in own on my own, which turned out to be a great time. Stopped to talk with an old guy, who was so pleased to welcome a tourist to their town. Met up with a bunch of guys who were running a street-side barbeque stall, but I recognized one of them from the church centre earlier, and he had a guitar, so spent the rest of the evening playing together and drinking brandy and  tea chasers, as they are sensible and don’t like feeling drunk. Made some plans to gather at the beach tomorrow afternoon for a party. Will have to see what time I get back from the Butanding trip. Also, have been invited to a meal at a family home for a meal. Will have to go to the market first to buy some food.

 

Fri 12th Dec – Almost impossible to sleep late here as the Santiago is located at a busy traffic junction and so woke early by the sound of tricycles and the like. Had to meet at the ‘Butanding Interaction Centre’ at 7:30am, which is part of the Visitor Information centre, a couple of kilometers from where I am staying. A nice ride there on a tricycle through a beautiful rural area of stilted bamboo houses, surrounded by rice paddy fields. After a bit of confusion at the centre, it appeared that there were now nine of us and the Batangkas only permitted seven passengers, so the last two to arrive were disappointed and would have to wait until tomorrow. Sharing the 3,500 Pesos between us and also having to pay a registration fee, came to 800 pesos each. They then charged 300 Pesos to hire a snorkel and mask, which was a bit expensive. Could have bought one for that probably. Anyway, we had the boat until around 2pm to go Butanding spotting. After setting off, two of the passengers announced that they had to return to land early as they had a flight to Manila to catch. So, after barely two hours we had to go back to land to drop them off. Another of the couples decided that, as they hadn’t seen any Butanding yet, they would also get off. No patience some people! As it turned out, the couple who had been disappointed earlier, were still there, and so they got to join us for the second outing. Lucky they decided to wait around. The crazy thing was that the boat could have held at least 12 passengers plus the five crew, so why they wouldn’t let them on in the first place was a mystery. Apart from spotting loads of dolphins and flying fish, which was exciting, we didn’t see any Butanding today. It is early in the season, the main time being March and April, but they had seen five yesterday. Later in the day we found out that another boat had managed to see only one. The way the luck goes I guess. We did do some snorkeling though, and so it wasn’t all wasted.

After returning to land, a note had been left by Lisa for us to go to ‘Jack’s place’ for lunch, only a short walk away. She had laid on a superb lunch for us of local specialties and wanted nothing in return for it.

There was some activity on the beach as a group of fishermen had laid out a drag net from the beach, which they were hauling in. About half a dozen puffer fish and a grouper were trapped in the net, along with the smaller fish that they actually wanted to keep.

Lisa has been a superb ambassador of her country and the TV company she works for, and a joy to be with plus the most generous of ladies.

Back in town they were preparing for a dance show tonight. It has been a year since they started a programme to teach the youth and adults how to dance. Tonight will be a showcase of their achievements and also an opportunity for anyone who wants to join in…guess who will be in the front line? Music was being played continuously through the PA system and that got my feet itching to dance, so cannot wait. Went for a walk around town and the very friendly Filipino girls proved they don’t disappoint…got asked to marry one within minutes. Their techniques are funny and direct. No wonder I was walking around the town with a big smile on my face. Bought a bottle of iced tea at a small shop, and the gorgeous girl behind the counter, within about 20 seconds...are you single...I am, she said... Can I have your cellphone number?...hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you? 16....aahhh. I would love to marry you, but there could be some issues to deal with....thank you for the offer though!

Had a simple but great dinner with the lovely Sasha and Luca from Slovenia. Wonderful people, and then time to hit the dance floor! Well, as already mentioned, this is the culmination of a year's learning by the youth of Donsol. Father George saw me as soon as we arrived and ushered us to some seats in front of the presentation dance. VIP treatment....I got up to dance with one of the teachers and the crowd cheered, but then the whole crowd got up and lined up in front of us, now that felt interesting, so I asked them if they would like to join in. They had actually been told over the PA that the evening was about to start, not because we were up dancing. The timing was perfect and it felt good and relaxed. The show they presented was wonderful. It was magic to see so many beautiful young people having a superb time. They covered the Cha-cha cha, Samba, Tango and Foxtrot and some Hip-hop. All had dressed their best and the girls looked stunning...shame they were only 15 to 18 years old...bad strain on the heart!

After the show, time to get on the floor, well the town square...and then it started raining....bloody typical! Fortunately, it didn't last and then got on with the dancing. So much fun, I couldn't believe my luck lately. So many pretty girls to dance with and the best range of music I heard in a long time. They aren't  too advanced here, but it was so good to dance, I was happy as could be. Every time I got a new girl up to dance, her friends would be cheering with encouragement, just wonderful. Got invited by the deputy lord mayor for drinks, so joined him and some other local notaries and got welcomed into the crowd pretty quick. Introduced to his niece to dance with and plenty of the strong stuff flowing. Had an awesome Pasa Doble in the pouring rain with the older people around the square. Such a hoot I loved it. The rain was heavy again and it didn't matter...soaked to the skin and smiling from ear to ear. I have had the most amazing day, and met fantastic people. Back up in Silang, Sheira is busy sorting out a Christmas tree. Looking forward to this Christmas more than last year, which will be my second away from the UK.

 

Sat 13th Dec – Awake early as usual. 5am this time, and today heading off to Masbate, although I could stay here for a while. Many connections already and could build more if I stayed. But that seems to be the case everywhere recently. Everywhere has the potential for more connections and possibilities for a life, and then I move on....again. Well, I could come back...another great place to add to the list of desireables!

Jumped on a Jeepney right outside the door of the Santiago, going to Pilar Pier for 20 pesos. Started to get concerned about the time as he stopped for a long time to pick up some fish and wait for some students to boars. During the journey we managed to squeeze in 26 passengers. It was very cozy indeed. Arrived at Pilar with less than 10 minutes to spare, and had to walk...well, run...to the pier from where we were dropped off, about a couple of hundred metres away. Easy enough to work out what to do. Just called out 'Masbate fast craft', and enough people pointed the way. Stopped at a stall to get some hot beef noodles and drink for the journey and then the ticket office. Fixed price of 396 pesos aboard the Montenegro Shipping lines ferry 'Masbate city', which should take about 2 hours. Had to go through an entrance where an additional 5 pesos was charged for 'Passenger Terminal fee'. Important to get on the right boat as there were others, the 'ordinary' speed, and from the look of it, smaller and less robust. I had been advised not to take these boats as they often sink, mainly as they overfill them with goods and passengers, often to double their official capacity. Our much more swish boat departed at 8:15, after the journey was blessed by a guy that sounded like an Irish Padre...

Over the tannoy a prayer was made in English. Some of the lines I picked up were....Bless this journey in times of storm, and shipwreck. Guide us in times of misfortune, that we may reach our destination safely. I felt much more relaxed now.... A smooth and easy sailing with the Eagles playing on DVD followed by an English movie. Arrived at 10:15 and went straight to the Trans-Asia Shipping Lines Ferry office to check out what the sailing time was for Cebu. The boat was to leave at 6pm and ready to board at 4pm, so that seemed ok. Bought a ticket in 'Tourist Class' for 937.80 pesos. The alternatives were a cabin, with none available anyway, for 1434.80 pesos, or 'Economy Class' for 527 pesos. The difference with economy is that they are bunk beds in the open on the lower decks, whereas the tourist class are nicer beds in an air-conditioned room.

Left baggage at the ferry office and went into town to eat and explore. Masbate is a functional sea port town. Got an ok feel to it. The usual markets and rustic shops everywhere. Everyone you come across is friendly and smile easily. Many beggars, especially children approached with their hands out asking for money. It is an obviously poor place. A nice meal at Odi's Grill house and then further explore before heading back to the port because it was too hot to be out in the sun. I stopped at a small café where a group of old ladies were chatting and saw that one was wearing a women's group T-Shirt, so enquired about it. They met regularly to gamble. Her statement was that they were poor so had nothing to lose in trying anything to make money. It is illegal and so she gets arrested often. In Fact she had only just been released!

Got back to the office and was tired so crashed out on the floor leaning against my backpack. Before I had a chance to fall asleep, a nice lady arrived asking if I wanted a manicure and pedicure. Too good an offer to refuse, so for 100 pesos, I got hands and feet sparkling with toe nails that I don't hink have looked that good in a very long time. She was soon joined by another lady who helped and a third lady who started massaging my feet. For a good hour I had three of them cleaning, manicuring and massaging. All for 100 pesos. How's that for great value!

Whilst killing time many locals come up to talk and it soon builds to a crowd squatting on the floor in discussion. Went out for a short while to see what was going on with the boat. Busy activity everywhere with forklift trucks whizzing around. Within seconds a group of boys appeared with their hands out begging for money. This town is the first place in the Philippines where I have experienced begging in an open fashion.

The boat departed a little late and it was dark. The tourist class is quiet and comfortable and has a shower which was well appreciated after a long day, albeit a cold one. Played cards over a nice meal, good quality although more pricey aboard a ship. The economy class was fairly full, and to be honest a very comfortable option. They aren't provided with sheets as we were, but the temperature was pleasant due to a gently sea breeze flowing through. Could easily have slept there. The tourist rooms are much cooler and a little quieter.

 

Sun 14th Dec – Arrived in Cebu Harbour at 7:30am and had decided to not stop here yet. Instead I will go on to Bohol Island, which is a couple of hours south of here. For the first time in a long while I saw something that made you stop and think…. As the boat was docking, some small Bangcas pulled along side with occupants begging for anything we could throw at them from the boat. People were throwing money, which an old lady would catch in a makeshift catcher from tarpaulin and sticks. Others would throw food they had left. If they missed catching it, the kids would jump in the water to retrieve it. This became a bit of a sport for some who deliberately threw their offerings away from them, so they had to dive in to get it. Over half a dozen boats were vying for the offerings. Guys were steering the boats with their feet and would also sometimes jump in if they needed to rescue something. It was a little bit of a circus, but for these people, it is a matter of having to do this every day of their lives probably, and they have to beg in whatever way they need.

 

After arrival, off to ferry terminal 3 to buy a ticket. Managed to get on the 9:10 sailing, which cost 500 Pesos with Weesam Express. There is also a Sea-cat going there from another pier next to the Weesam. Both arrive in Bohol at Tagbilaran (can also fly into the same town from other parts of the Philippines). As it was roasting hot, needed to leave my backpack at the terminal. To enter the terminal costs a 25 Pesos ‘Terminal Fee’. This seems to be charged at all ports, so cannot be avoided. No set price as all are different. Also cost to leave baggage in their store, but the price also included them loading it onto the boat. 100 Pesos for 3 items of baggage.

Needed to have breakfast and soon realized that there wasn’t anything much at the port itself…later learnt that there was a café inside which we hadn’t seen. Ah well, anyway, walked towards town and gave up finding anything decent open as it is Sunday and everything was closed. Ended up at a street food café and had a weak fish soup. Better than nothing I guess, but didn’t fill me up much, so was still hungry.

Back at the port and through into the waiting area, to be greeted by a band playing Christmas music. They were blind…from the ‘Sugbuanon Blind Masseurs-Musicians Association Inc’. Fantastic band who played a diverse range of music, not all Christmas classics, but so good had to leave a donation as they were collecting towards new instruments. Made the time waiting a memorable one. One thing I noticed was that the Filipinos weren’t applauding, but we were. Eventually they followed and started applauding when we did. Not sure if this is a cultural thing, but anyway, it doesn’t harm to show appreciation.

The ferry left slightly late at 9:40am and managed to get some pot noodles on board before going outside to get some sunshine. Talked to an old lady who was living on Panglao Island, a short taxi ride away from Tagbilaran, where we arrive. She said that Tag wasn’t a great place to stay and so was convinced to head straight to Panglao island instead. Almost exactly 2 hours crossing on a smooth sea, with a lovely warm breeze all the way.

I was very impressed by the terminal at Tagbilaran. It has a visitor information desk and gives out excellent free maps, plus can organize accommodations, tours etc. The thing is that this place is more touristy than other locations I have been so far…and as expected…more expensive. Had already been told that the best place to aim for was Alona Beach. So picked up a taxi after some negotiation for 300 Pesos, which took about 25 minutes to get there. The beach is dazzling pure white, with aquamarine sea and palm trees…just perfect. Didn’t take long to find somewhere to stay, although it is expensive with many luxury resorts charging many thousands of pesos for a room. I ended up in an Economy room at the lovely Bohol Diver’s Resort, a short walk along the beach. Only cost 500 pesos a night, and next to the beach and private bathroom.

Had spent a long time getting here and desperate to get into the sea, so quick change and straight out. At the bottom of the steps into the place is the Blue Ocean dive shop, where I stopped off to get some info and they offered me a beer and so sat with them for a nice chat about diving in the area. This beach front is wall-to-wall dive shops, and so it is easy to arrange an outing from here. They dispelled some rumors that Sharks were in this area, which hasn’t been true for a very long time, and through the conversation I had with them learnt much about the incorrect information that seems to have spread about diving possibilities here. Anyway, better informed now to make a choice. They do have three good dive areas to explore from here, so that will be enough to keep me satisfied. Finally got into the sea, and…just like a warm bath. About 28 degrees, crystal clear and teaming with life. Bangcas bobbing around in the waters painted in bright colours, making the place look straight out of a postcard. The dive shop lent me some booties as there are many urchins and spiky starfish and corals in the shallow depths, so need to be careful.

After a nice swim I also learnt from the guys that I could extend my visa in the local town much easier than I could in Cebu, and it would only take 10 minutes as it is a small place. It just kept getting better and better….and then it got better again…Tonight is Christmas party night for the hotel staff and there is a band playing, who were setting up on the beach, and guests were invited too. Dancing on the beach until 1am or so. Fantastic! I couldn’t have picked a better place to come, or a better time. Was on a roll now and so had a great massage by the very capable Bawn, who works at the hotel. 300 pesos for 90 minutes full massage and superb technique. This place is in the slow lane and nothing happens fast, so now felt down at their pace….slooowwww….

 

That is about it for now..hope you managed to hang on in there without falling asleep!

 

Bye for now

 

Comments

1

Interesting story! Good that the guides were not too bad. A good guide can really make the trip interesting and exciting. :)

  jean Dec 18, 2008 12:06 AM

2

Hi there,
I am a traveling freak...and I want to rough it out sometimes..so, is it possible to take a ferry from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah to Cebu?

  Hannah Jul 7, 2011 4:10 PM

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.