Existing Member?

Asia Adventure

Mad Manila

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 26 November 2008 | Views [384]

The Jeepneys that take you around town for about 8 pesos.

The Jeepneys that take you around town for about 8 pesos.

After a 2 hour bus ride arrived in Manila. Wow so many people, crazy. Finally got to the bus station. There is security everywhere, armed guards, 5-6 to bank, 2-3 to a shop. Bags are checked entering every public building including shooping malls! and everyone is searched at the metro sations.

Dropped my bags at a great hostel called `Friendlys Guesthouse` and set off, got a bit lost briefly but then got back on track. Then a retired family of 1 brother and 3 sisters, said hello to me while I was on a street, they were on their yearly holiday from the North, and no sooner then they realised that I was Irish and Catholic I was off in a Jeepney on a tour of 3 of the Manila`s most famous Churches, we nearly ended up at  a mass at one stage. Then an impromptu tour of the old town ensued and after they realised I wouldnt have time to visit the local Volcano, but! however there was  another church nearby with an Bamboo Organ to see. Afetr being stuck in another Jeepney during rush hour(not recommended) and the Metro (also not recommended, but an experience nevertheless) we finally arrived at this famous church. IT WAS CLOSED After some brief disappointment, and me reassuringly saying I would see it the next day - they interupted the local choir practice in a nearby room, it was then established that the key holder was in the vinicity. Eventually the entire church was opened for my private viewing  & a quick tour and and I got to see the famous Bamboo Organ (picture to be posted)which is actually really famous and holds a prestigous world event every year.

Then this very entertaining eveing finished with a few local beers in a local Videoke Bar, were the 3 sisters began to sing their hearts out and we tasted some local cuisine.  

I never realised I was so Holy. A great start to my Philippino adventure.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.