Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Culture Galore III

INDONESIA | Friday, 23 March 2007 | Views [705] | Comments [1]

THURS: The Neka Museum was my visual art experience highlight, hands down! i took some pictures which i will download later. And I won’t go into all the gory details. (i’m tired of writing.) Suffice it to say, Inspiring and Educational.

I feel like i’ve been consuming so much information, my little brain needs to digest. This is why my hermitage is so helpful.

Anyway, I’ve read a ton, anything I can find. Like a story by the Ring of Fire brothers (who explored & documented Indonesia – you should watch the series if you haven’t yet! available at your local library). Anyway, they told the story of living with a head-hunter, cannibal tribe in Papua (irian jaya). They make elaborate totem poles when someone is killed. To release the dead person’s spirit from the pole, they must do a revenge killing, pour the blood on the pole, barbecue and eat the person, and then flaunt their head. Ugh. Well, a couple of years before the brothers arrived, in the process of acquiring some of these poles for their museum, a young Rockefeller disappeared along the coast. No one knew what happened to him... until the brothers showed up. Turns out some dutch militia had killed some of the clan members in some dispute a while back. When the white boy washed up on the beach (he had swum there after his boat ran out of fuel or something), the tribal men, their father’s having been the ones killed, seized the opportunity for revenge. Wild, isn’t it!


Back to the Neka...it was a feast :)


My second cultural experience on Thurs was a spontaneous attendance of one of the traditional dances. I don’t think I have ever been more delighted by an experience of this sort, ever! It happened to be Youth Night-all the performers looked to be 12-15-ish :) (that explained the good ticket price). I don’t think i have the words, and you don’t have the time, for me to sufficiently describe how amazing it was! The gamelon group, who provided the background music – all boys – would rival or soundly beat any drumline at highschool football game half time for their enthusiasm and rhythmic prowess! I was in awe. Did i mention it was awesome? and the dancers! Their costumes were phenomenal, their skill jaw-dropping. Boys and girls. Traditional Balinese and Javanese dancing involves every single part of the body – fingers, toes, eye balls, eyebrows, elbows, knees, bobbly things on the hats, scarves – everything was perfectly coriographed and infused with every possible human emotion. just amazing! Over these last days viewing the art, the dancers had been subject of a great amount of the art. Seeing them first hand though, none of the artists had done them justice! if you guys can get your hands on film of this stuff, do it.

well, that’s all for now. i’m sure everyone’s as tired of reading as i am of writing. thanks for hanging in there!

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

heather i miss you so much. i'm glad you're having such a rich time tho. i love you.

  kara Mar 28, 2007 12:34 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.