Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Culture Galore II

INDONESIA | Friday, 23 March 2007 | Views [689] | Comments [1]

enter: Society

WED: Glorious Life Drawing! :) There were a few different people there. 2 notable things: #1)the model was an extremely slender young Indonesian man- i had never drawn anyone like this before and it was very good practice (i was surprised at my own shock at an Indonesian revealing himself thus. but as with all life models, it takes 2 seconds to get over that. he obviously was a pro). And Pranoto, the Mr. Miagi, complimented my work :) score.

#2) Via eavesdropping, I found out about a big art opening that was happening that evening, this time, a very short walk from my house. Score #2!


The Opening: I had no idea what to expect. It was a group show. As i walked in, the hotel hosting it struck me as one of the more luxurious around. Were there kings or queens visiting, i imagined they would stay there. Then as I approached the gallery, the narrow stairway became almost impassable due to the huge volume of people! Again, fascinating mix of east meets west. These were evidently the very high brow local artists, looking extremely dignified and beautiful in their headdresses and sarongs. (i wish i could wear one! boys only, though). And, of course there were a lot of foreigners. Complete with free wine, sushi & other fineries. What a scene!! But i quickly found my little life drawing group, and also scored an invitation to a Jazz Cafe to hear music afterwards.


Pranoto/Miagi came & talked to me a few minutes -every familiar face was welcomed. He leaned in a whisper, affirming what suspected: “This is the Who’s Who in the Balinese art scene!” and proceeded to point out several prominent people. Misi, Mario de Balnco was there :) Mis & I visited his father, Antonio de Blanco’s outrageous ‘renaissance museum’.


The art, was, to use a Lonely Planet word, spotty. Some good. some very disappointing. There was one that i considered for a second buying though!


The Jazz Cafe: I trouped out with the 5 or so people from the LD class – interesting being in a ‘group’ again. we hopped in a car & drove very far away – past Pranoto’s gallery. (i mention this just to indicate the distance of my walk home – my sacrifice for human company :) Only one lady, Jen, a British older woman with a very dignified accent but very spunky everything else, was the only person who had ventured talking with me at all. I think I am not very approachable.


Let me interject a moment to shed a little more light on my company. My latest take on Ubud is that it is the San Miguel Allende of South East Asia. Some of you know what I mean. Beautiful local culture inundated with most middle-age visitors, with an abundance of art classes, language classes, and real estate available. I imagine a similar crowd here. same people who populate austin’s informal art classes. Occasionally i meet someone close to my age.


Back to Jazz – after a steep cover charge, and ordering the cheapest drink on the menu, i had a very pleasant conversation with Vic – a bald NewYorker who’s been on the road for nigh on 4 years – australia, new zealand, thailand, and now here. sweet guy. told my about the artist he’s taking private lessons from – i may check it out. But the funnest part was talking to a girl named Kelly – She just served 2 years with the Peace Corp in Lesotho (sp?) in South Africa. She’s been traveling since december and we struck up a lively conversation. She got her MFA from an art school in New York that one of my neighbors had gone to. She doesn’t want to be a professional artist (‘doesn’t have the personality for that’.. oh great), but wants to live abroad the rest of her life :) she’s looking for somewhere she can help facilitate micro-business crafts endeavors with locals. Wednesday was her last night here. nice while it lasted :)

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

You are so not "unapproachable"! One trick I used to use in my solo travel days (soon to use again) is asking some other traveler I wanna be friends with a silly little question like "Do you know where the bus picks up to go to (wherever)?" and then "Hey- where are you from, what do you do?" soon follows. Be that super bubbly outgoing person who talks to everyone (no one knows the difference of what your personality really is!):) Have fun! I love that you're "in the scene" Sounds a lot like San Miguel like you said.

  angie Mar 27, 2007 2:58 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.