Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Parade of Monsters

INDONESIA | Friday, 23 March 2007 | Views [687]

Sunday night, the eve of the Balinese day of Nyepi, Hindu new year’s day (more about that later), the entire population poured onto the streets of Ubud for the long-anticipated parade of the Ogoh-Ogoh. (saying something twice in Indonesian makes it plural). As far as I can figure, the idea is to build the scariest looking float you can muster, and make as much noise as possible in the hopes of scaring all the demons away. Then on Monday, Nyepi, everyone is as completely quiet as possible, so when the demons come back they will think Bali is uninhabited and leave it alone for another year.


I was as excited as the next person to witness the festivities. As morbid of a concept, it was an exceedingly gregarious occasion. (The master of ceremonies said the kids hadn’t slept for the last three days preparing.) It reminded me of our Halloween. So, each street/neighborhood had its own floats – usually a small one in front made & carried by the children, followed by the big one carried by 15-30 men, followed by a gamelon (traditional percussion choir) playing as roucusly and loudly as possible. They also all had neighborhood pride t-shirts they all wore. cute. The floats processed one by one down Monkey Forest Rd. & all gathered in the soccer field where everyone, EVERYONE, mingled & gawked & snapped photos. Then they proceeded back up Monkey Forest Rd. to the main intersection in front of the temple where the MC talked about each one, they jumped & spun in circles, hooted, hollered, scared everyone (mainly that the power lines would come down), and went back home. I also heard that traditionally they are burned that night to exorcise the demons, but i had left. I also didn’t see/smell any fires. Our taxi drive Gede said that people had been putting so much work into making them that after the parade they would keep them in front of their houses for a while. “Very Bad Idea” he said.


My second favorite thing about the whole affair was seeing all the many and varied families out in the field. I shouldn’t have been, but was surprised to see that it was at least half foreigners. And a LOT of mixed Indonesian/foreigner families, with all their adorable kids. All the Balinese were dressed in traditional clothes, even all the teenagers, with their lip piercings and sarongs. Loved it.


My MOST favorite thing was watching the designated Guardians of the Electrical Wires. These were guys (as you can probably guess) with very long bamboo poles that were forked at the top who ran before the Ogoh-Ogoh and lifted the wires, while the float carriers ducked sometimes almost to the ground until the yelling crowd around indicated it was clear, whereupon they would hoist and bounce and shout until the next wire. The fact that none of the monsters went up in a blaze of glory was a miracle itself. And the pause every 10 meters or so duck under wires didn’t seem to dampen anyone’s spirits either.


I’ve just put up a few pics – it takes forever to load them, so you just get a few at a time.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.