Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

'Seni' means 'art'

INDONESIA | Sunday, 18 March 2007 | Views [736] | Comments [3]

I amend my description of Ubud as a village. It is a bonefide town if not small city. (maybe that's the same as a town). Anyhow, it is nevertheless quite accessible to us foreigners – anyone looking for classes in yoga, hari krishna stuff, cooking, language, culture, dance, gamelon (local music), and art are in luck. Vegetarian food abounds, and there's even a super healthy, california-style organic store/bakery. Seriously could rival wheatsville co-op in the amazing stuff that's available there, and very good prices! (sarah, they even have noni juice:). BUT, that's not the topic of this entry. The big news is: they also have Life Drawing sessions, praise God! twice a week at Pranoto's Gallery, pay 2 bucks and join at least a dozen other artist types for 3 hrs of good old fashioned life drawing. (except they apparently have a shortage of models, so one of the regulars modeled this time in her sarong. still good.) Mr. Pranoto is the quintessential image of seasoned artist – t-shirt, sandals, grey goatee, mr.miagi of the bali art scene. very mild manner with a gleam of down-to-earth wisdom in his eye. Many of the people there were regulars, from the looks of it. there were probably more than 15 – mix of locals who didn't speak english, foreigners who didn't speak indonesian, but mostly a multi-lingual, multi-ethnic, multi-nationality group. Very fascinating. One funky British woman, i quickly surmised, is a local artist. Come to find out, she is Pranoto's wife of 14 years and they have a lovely daughter. These sessions are weds & sats. will definitely be the highlight of my weeks here! hopefully i'll make a friend or 2. (already had a number of very nice introductory chats; not cool enough yet though to get invited to lunch with the hip crowd. there's still time :)

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hera! Noni juice?! That's awesome! Missing you and loving reading about your adventures.

  Rah Mar 19, 2007 7:23 AM

2

Heather. I am all vicarious and jealous and proud and awestruck all at once - sounds like you are being just where you should be - great writing, I hope to read more soon.

  Annie Mar 20, 2007 4:20 PM

3

what a marvelous place! i'm glad you're getting to stretch the ol' drawing muscles... keep writing such beautiful descriptions and tell mis i said hi and i miss her if you catch up with her again!

  laura Mar 21, 2007 3:11 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.