Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

The Lows

INDONESIA | Friday, 23 March 2007 | Views [723] | Comments [1]

Everyone’s gotta have them. We can also call some of them ‘lessons’. I learned several this week. Like where NOT to eat when you’re on a budget.

Also, when you get a ride somewhere and plan on walking back, pay attention. This is a fresh lesson, hot off the press yesterday evening.

I have heretofore been “Kuat Jalan Kaki” - a strong walker. (this phrase is usually used to refer to eating – it’s a compliment, like my Dad says to Natalie Z. “you are kuat makan” - a strong eater). Being frugal, a bit scared of public transportation, and in need of whatever exercise i can get, I walk everywhere. My choice of an edge-of-town bungalow insures my daily exercise. Especially because almost everything i want to frequent is on the opposite far side of town. Life Drawing is 30min away.

ANYway – I wanted to go to a museum yesterday that looked very far away on the map. As it was extremely hot, i caught a ride, for about a dollar fifty. Completely awe-inspired by the museum, i headed out the gate, mentally referencing the Lonely Planet map, in the direction i thought was ubud. When the sidewalk disappeared, and there were several intersections i didn’t remember, and my life became endangered walking around bends with no curbs & racing cars, i stopped to ask someone which way ubud was. The guy offered to give me a ride. For five dollars. :(. And, yes, i had walked that far. I was thankful, tho a little embarrassed. not the end of the world, and a good lesson. However, as i will be walking from now on....


My all time low (or lows), and since I'm venting i just have to tell it, were the TWO occasions that people asked if I was Misi’s MOTHER! The first one was a guy showing us a hotel room. He poured salt in the wound by following with “Well, why isn’t she married yet? why does she want a room for one? everybody comes here with their boyfriends, why did she come with her sister?.” (not quite sure what answer he was looking for - ‘she has a disease’?) I excused it knowing how most locals perceives whities. But the second guy was a whitie! Inexcusable!


That’s all the negativity. i know. not so bad.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Agh! Don' you love the blunt questions people ask when you're in foreign countries?
When guys ask me if I'm married, I go on and on about "Yeah, of course, I actually have 5 husbands! And 10 kids. But I needed a vacation." Sometimes they start to believe me. :)

  angie Mar 27, 2007 2:50 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.