Existing Member?

Edge of Chaos 2011/2012

Rio 26/2 - 2/3

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 2 March 2011 | Views [283]

Our last night in flori was epic as promised..we went to a couple of clubs and went pretty wild..met a heap of new people and some new friends..ended up on the beach at 7am looking for vodka..luckily we were unsuccessful..

Rio..an epic city..like nothing i have ever seen before..mountains, coast and millions of buildings and people..the fisrt day here we went up to the statue of christ..its amazing..the view from the top is breath taking..you can see the entire city from side to side..from copacabana to the shipping lanes..

That night we went to a pre carnival street party and as usual tings escalated..benny and sos joined us once again and sos started vomiting before we left the hostel so they had to bail..we drunk on the street, ate hotdogs, went to clubs, got back to the hostel, smoked a joint with some american girls and played them in fifa..great night..

we met benny and sos the next day at their hostel down at copa and went to the beach..again it was breath taking with the mountains backing onto the ocean, 6ft shores, people trying to sell you everything under  the sun..

That afternoon we hiked up sugar loaf, the 3rd biggest mountain in rio..luckinly we only had to hike half way, and we cable cared the rest..it was a legitimately tough hike, especially in thongs..the view from the top was amazing with the statue of christ peeping through the clouds..

We couldnt see the sunset due to clouds but it was still amazing..that night we figured that all our mates from flori were stayin at the same hostel so we chilled with them and watched a move, firts night off in 8..it was nice to get to bed early..

We all went to the beach the next day, and took it pretty easy..i had a coffee on the street and watched the world go by for a while..we all met up at ours (books hostel) and shared pizza, beers, fifa and drinking games tillthe wee hours..nothing much was happening (given it was a monday) so we didnt venture from the hostel, other than to buy food and beers..favela tour tomorrow, really looking forward to it! yew

The favela tour was amazing!!..to get up into the favela you need to ride on the back of a motor bike, and they all take pride in scaring the Gringos, so its an awesome ride..a wild hill climb past on coming trucks and cars, awesome thrill but fucking dangerous..

the favelas themselves were a spectacle..there are many favelas in brazil, its like housing commission on top of housing commission on top of housing commission, on the side of a mountain with drug gangs, guns, cops, shoot outs..its insane..the view from the top was incredible..we saw several people walking around with machine guns and binoculars..as long as you dont photograph them there is no worries..we walked from the top all the way to the bottom and then chilled on ipanema beach for sunset (spectacluar) and then had quiet beers at a pub and watched the soccer..off to salvadooooooooooooreeeeeeeeeeeee tomorrow..party time..yew

About grizzly_bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.