Existing Member?

Edge of Chaos 2011/2012

Vietnam (29/12/2011-5/1/2012)

VIETNAM | Thursday, 5 January 2012 | Views [684]

Our time in Saigon was definitely more cultural than party which was nice for a change! It gave our livers a bit of a chance to heal and we saw some really neat places..After our first quiet night we went out to the cu chi tunnels which is where the viet cong were based during the war. We saw some crazy ingenuity and resourcefulness from the viet cong, including many of their traps and some propaganda videos. THe highlight wsas crawling hrough one of the tunnels whch has been widened for tourists. We had to crawl on our hands and knees and by the end of it we were sweating profusly! I cant imaging having to spent years running round down there! Very impressive indeed!


That night we had a few beers and a stroll around the international food markets which were quite impressive..the highlight of the evening was soley over eating and almost passing out. it seriously looked like he had contracted some immuno disease.

Then next day we went to he war museum and which was impressive, disturbing and a massive eye opener. There was some amazing photographs of the brutality employed by both sides. The scooter ride there and back through the traffic was awesome with us all yelling and screaming at our drivers to race each other which they thought was hilarious..

That night we caught a bus up to nha trang, but not before we all had an extremely odd experience at the massage parlor!, with soley almost being raped..it was so upsetting to him that he has promised to stop raping girls going forward.

Nha Trang is an awesome little beach town and we took full advantage of the party atmosphere. We spent ny at several pubs including the Aussie pub (who adopted us as their children as we ate there almost every day), the corner bar (our most frequented night spot) and the sailing club. The sailing club had a dj and a big party on the beach and we went pretty wild, meeting some nice Russian and polish ladies and having a cracking time. I went for a late night dip with the polish girl and our stuff (clothes) got stolen off the beach but they kindly laid them out up on the grass, only taking our money and my belt! Very lucky not to have to walk home in our underwear!

The next day we had beers at a beach side pub called the lousiane..it was a cracking way to bring in the new year! the evening continued in the same fashion and we made some english and american friends at a few of the local bars! I took off on a 3 wheeled taxi bike(i actually rolled one on new years) and was giving ppl lifts around town which was hilarious (at least to me!)

THe next day we met up with 4 girls from Wollongong who were making their way down the coast...we had lunch with them and a wander around town and then met up with them again for dinner. They took us to this awesome little place a bit out of town which was so cheap and delicious. We all shared a massive bbq of sea food, meats and vegetables and had a cracking time..we finished off there with the owner giving us free shots of chilli vodka. We then went for more beers around town and finished up at the corner bar around 5! Smashing night!

Over those 3 nights we developed somewhat of a celebrity status around the town which was quite nice and a laugh for the girls!

THe next day the sun finally came out and we were supposed to meet the girls at 12 but they slept till 3 which was lucky as danny was completely out of control. We had to take home home at 2pm cause he was too crazy..we made him go to bed and then took off for a huge walk down the beach..Me pets and sol ended up at this beautiful little resort and paid and exorbitant amount for a delicios cocktail. We me a nice American couple on their honeymoon and had a good chat to them before convincing them to join us at the louisiane. We gave them a viagra for a wedding present which the thought was hilarious and then met the girls for dinner. Again their instruction paid off and we had a beautiful big hot pot and pizza and ate ourselves into a small food coma..we had a few beers and retired some what sober!

We booked our bus etc the next day and after a checkout mission (as a result of the kind but extremely crazy vikki) we went to the mud baths with the girls (anna, emma, lisa and laura) and went for a swim in some hot springs and waterfalls. It was a class day and we finished it off by sharing some lobster on the beach watching the sun set!

THe sleeper bus to ho anne that night was a nightmare but we got it done (with the help of some Valium)! Upon arrival we set about getting some clothes made up (thats what its famous for) and then road around the city on bikes. Again its a beautiful city, reminding me alot of luangprobang with beautiful streets and small shops, as well as a picturesque river and beaches!

Sitting in the internet cafe now i have no idea whats in store tonight but with 8 nights left we will no doubt make the most of it!

About grizzly_bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.