Existing Member?

Edge of Chaos 2011/2012

Laos and Vietnam (21/12-28/12)

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 28 December 2011 | Views [409]

After our semi wild start to luangprobang we decided that it would be a good idea to get a little bit cultural..So we decided to hire bikes and go for a ride around town. It was a beautiful afternoon with the 4 of us messing around on old school bikes (culminating with luke blowing a tire)..We finished that afternoon at a cool little bar overlooking the mekong and watching the sunset.It was one of the best i have everseen!

That night we chilled at a really cool little bar called utopia and smoked some shisha and had a few quiet beers..then things got a little wild and we ended up at the bowling alley at 2am (the only thing still open) causing the general ruckus, highlighted by soley getting his camel nuts out (ask him when we get home)..We met some really cool ppl (dutch girl named angie) and some not so cool canadians but all in all another cracker!

We spent most of the next day in bed catching up on some well needed rest, only rising to run a few errands. That night we went for a walk down the beautiful street markets and we all ended up purchasing slingshots which made for a hectic dinner! That night we went back to utopia and met the NZ girls, finishing up at ours with a case beers and some good old laos whiskey..

We were up and away the next day to vang vieng round 2..what started out as a cruisey 5 hour bus ride turned into an epic mission..the mini van was jam packed and the roads were atrocious.. We did stop off at some pretty cool lookouts but it was a mission, culminating in a window falling out of the van and the driver trying to get danny and i to pay for it! Very funny!

Again the time spent in vang vieng is a bit of a blur so the best way to describe it is by a few highlights!!:

1) Drinking every night at the usual, with the owner (saun), becoming such good friends with us that he partied with us and even came to our guesthouse one morning..

2) Smoking shisha and taking cobra shots at the usual..

3) Angie

4) Talking to our families on christmas day and wishing we could be involved (in the lunch especially!)

5) Christmas day (and every day for that matter) going wild on the river..

6) Boxing day at the irish pub and hiring scooters (very stupid when drunk but TOO much fun!)..only in asia would they let you on one after a few beers!

7)The awesome guest house we stayed at (jammees), and the beautiful view form the guesthouse!

8) The lads!

9)FIRE TRUCKING..NEEE NARR

We left vang vieng broken men (both physically and mentally), myself having a very bruised hip and soley a very sore foot but for partying you really cant fault the place..Its so much fun its hard to describe.

We caught the bus to vientien and had a VERY quiet night, all in bed by 9pm..the highlight of the night was as follows..we were all starving as we hadnt eaten all day so we went out to get some dinner..it took ages for the meals to come and only after all of the meals had been served they came up to him and said "we no have" haha..it was classic...he was fuming but it was so funny! only in asia!

The flight down to Saigon was trouble free and to say the place is intense is an understatement..it puts bangkok to shame..heat, horns..the driving is the craziest i have seen anywhere in the world! CRAZZZZZYYYYYY.....crossing the road is insane..

We took it easy on our first night, run some errands and got our new years accom in nha trang sorted..still a little wounded from vang vieng but loving life..Heard many great things about vietnam so here goes!

About grizzly_bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.