Existing Member?

Moore Park Grace Centre Adventures www.gracecentres.org :: Read more about the Grace Centre

Smaller team but lots of work

ETHIOPIA | Saturday, 17 January 2009 | Views [492]

Over the last week, many people have left to continue on their travels. We are now down to 9 adults and 2 kids but plenty of good work has been completed.

A few of us went out to help one of the workers build her own traditional mud house out of eucalypt sticks, nails and mud. It was amazing to see how deft the 'builder' was and how strong a structure could be constructed with such minimal materials.

We have delivered 3 home kits now to different single mothers connected with the centre - it is very humbling to see the tiny mud rooms these mothers live in with hardly any possessions at all. They were all so grateful and it was rewarding to us to see that we are giving such useful gifts.

The After School Hours house has seen great improvements - a new cubby house painted and revamped, a garden removed and replaced with gravel to allow more play area, and a new and organised library and teaching resources. Other projects under way include fences, shelves and mass cleaning up while Andrew and Dee  and family are away at a wedding in Addis Ababa.

Today the school across the road hosted the interschool soccer grand final - it was fascinating to watch, especially the enthusiasm of the drum beating, singing crowds and the way everyone ran into the field at every goal and penalty.

More stories to come in the next few days.

About grace_peoples

All of us walking out of the Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.