Existing Member?

Moore Park Grace Centre Adventures www.gracecentres.org :: Read more about the Grace Centre

Addis Ababa - Day Two

ETHIOPIA | Monday, 29 December 2008 | Views [1311]

Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

This morning after another fine breakfast filled with eggs and bread, we hoped on our trustworthy little bus driven by the ever faithful Bitsai and headed to the Kebebe Teshay orphanage in Addis. This was only originally schedule for Mary, Jeff and Simon to visit with their adopted daughters Sara and Helen (adopted 14 years ago from the same orphanage), however we were all granted permission to visit.

It was very special and quite sad as well. The kids were beaming and constantly running after you, grabbing your hand or requesting you to throw them in the air. We played some soccer. Michael ended up giving a line of kids some high fives on the way down from a slippery slide. For Mary, Jeff, Simon, Helen and Sara it was particularly emotional to see the place where Helen and Sara were adopted from so many 14 years ago. I am not sure how to express their feelings and thoughts so I will stop here. It was just lovely to see the smiles on the kids faces, who I am sure even without the presence of these strangers in "Australia" jackets are probably quite content with what they have, which is little to speak of.

From there it was a 30-40 minute wait on the side of the road for a slightly less faithful Bitsai to pick us up. We watched the traffic which never ceases to amuse or generate conversation. The consistency of the Ethiopian taxis mingled in with a couple of brand new Landcruisers, some bicycles and the lovely flow of local people smiling and  sometimes asking for food or money as they walked past.

We had lunch had a pretty western style cafe. Big meals, Pepsis and cool atmosphere. I had a massive Club sandwich with ample supply of tasty chips which came to a grand total of 28 Bir or around $5 Aussie dollars. The price of food is truly just as wonderful as the food most times.

It was time for shopping now. Firstly for Grace Centre items, lastly for recreation. The Grace Centre items took us to a scary, bustling spread of markets called the Merkato markets. The people here are more serious, less welcoming perhaps and less afraid to charge you twice the local deal. We sat in the bus mostly as Bitsai gave us a taxi driving lesson which included precise navigation through a range of people and vehicle obstacles you could never ever come across in Aussie-land. It was bus ride worth paying for. Leith, myself, Naomi and Simon hopped off the bus with Bitsai to go traverse our way around the markets looking for (1) baby formula and (2) plumbing fittings. We negotaited, were stared at, negotaited and left without the (1) and with a nice deal on (2).

With some relief we headed back to the typical local markets (that line most streets in Addis) and enjoyed some shopping there. Most people managed to leave with a nice hat, bracelet, ring or bag purchased at relatively very low AU price. I managed to agree to purchase an Africa poster that started at 40 bir and ended up sealing the deal at 20 bir. It was nice to give the local community some business and a pleasure to mingle in there happy company.

Feeling quite depleted by now. We all joined Bitsai for another excellent display in taxi-bus-navigation back to our Hotel (via the bank) for a brief siesta. At 7pm we walked maybe 2kms up the road for Pizza in a brick and cabin like restaurant for some splendid wood fired pizza, more Pepsi's and some excellent local beer enjoyed by myself and Simon for 8bir ($1.10 each). This dinner was highlighted by some Glass bottle tower building I managed to instigate which caught the attention of the restaurant staff - who then proceeded to copy and build their own Coke bottle tower, which finally ended in a single broken Coke bottle as we joined together to try get 6 standing end to neck in a row. We'll have to try attached a photo for you to see how cool this really was.

Until tomorrow. Over and out. Thanks for reading.

About grace_peoples

All of us walking out of the Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.