Existing Member?

Moore Park Grace Centre Adventures www.gracecentres.org :: Read more about the Grace Centre

AMAZING DEDICATION

ETHIOPIA | Sunday, 18 January 2009 | Views [849] | Comments [1]

Start a house

Start a house

This is my first contribution to the blog as the team is breaking up and Adele and I will be the last to leave. This is our third trip to Ethiopia and each trip has been different. While there are things that are the same (general maintenance and improvement of the Grace facilities) there are many different things (house building and home kits).

For us the biggest impact has been the last few days when we have been in charge of the Grace Centre. The couple who are normally in charge, Andrew and Dee Knife, went to Addis on Thursday for a wedding. Leith Harding also went together with Zewditu, Ian, Lauran, Bryce and all the Knife children (Lydia, Joshua, Berhani, Moconna and Sara). Keliesha also went to keep Zewditu company. This meant that Adele and I were in charge with Michael, Stephanie and Naomi for help. The Fraser family from Sunshine Coast are also still here for another couple of days.

Michael, Stephanie and Naomi leave in the morning (I drive them in a Tuk Tuk) and Andrew and Dee (and children) arrive back at lunch time.

It has been an amazing experience to be in charge of a ministry employing 82 people and caring for over 100 children on the premises and even more people being fed or otehrwise supported. The experience was even more amazing because we did not know that we would be asked to do this.

I have an incredible respect for the resilience and dedication of Andrew and Dee. It is not an easy ministry to run. There are decisions to be made from when you get up in the morning until you go to sleep at night (and then we get up at 2am to check the night staff). I believe it is only possible by the grace of God and by the very capable staff that God has brought to Grace.

Language is a barrier but with the right attitude it is surmountable. Many Ethiopians have a little English and we have a little Amharic. The result is that we work most things out. When we get stuck there are a few staff who can translate well so we get by.

Across all things we need to watch finances. God has been gracious and the ministry is not seriously limited by finances, but there is nothing to spare for luxuries. The wedding is the first break that Andrew and Dee have had for months. I hope we can get through till theyreturn without messing anything up.

Mark

Comments

1

So pleased, your expereince has been life changing.
I am sure your time spent thre was such a blessing to Grace Centre and the Knife family. You are all incredible people. Be blessed!

  Amanda Jan 28, 2009 11:46 AM

About grace_peoples

All of us walking out of the Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.