Existing Member?

Moore Park Grace Centre Adventures www.gracecentres.org :: Read more about the Grace Centre

Sunday, Gondar, a Sponsor Child, Soccer

ETHIOPIA | Monday, 12 January 2009 | Views [2624] | Comments [2]

23 People on the Gondar trip - sitting by the Kings pool.

23 People on the Gondar trip - sitting by the Kings pool.

On Sunday morning we assembled on the lawn of Grace Centre HQ for a little cute church service. This was very refreshing. We started with sitting around in lazy chairs singing some songs - lots of Moore Park classics including "Blessed be Your Name" and "Lord I Lift Your Name on high". Ian lead the service while Michael was on preaching duties.

We shared a few stories and then Mark H lead us in prayer. Michael followed with a really good message on 2nd Kings which had several different allegories and applications. This service came the day after the last of the Gondar trips... if I may go back in time. On Friday and Saturday most people at Grace Centre boarded a mini-bus for a 2.5 hour road trip to the city of Gondar. This is a city quite rich with Ethiopian history including a beautiful church (17th Century) filled with, well... beautiful paintings :-). Before this we visited an array of spectacular castles from the times of the Ethiopian Kings. There are some photos of this in the Gondar Gallery on the blog.

The Gondar trip also involved a visit to a "bath" site where one of those Ethiopian Kings had built a "Camp David" style retreat which including a massive (larger than Olympic size) swimming pool with a Palace in the middle of it. He was smart enough to built this in a position ideal for diverting the Blue Nile into his pool for quick filling ;-).

The drive also allowed us to enjoy some more of Ethiopia's spectacular landscape.

As for work at Grace: our projects have been continuing well. Most of the plumbing issues are fixed (kind of). The ditch is having some plastic piping added for increased drainability. Kelisha and I will complete the double step for the kids water tap today. Some timber fences are being built for the big/small kid day care centre. I forgot to mention that Barb (the Canadian mother) was doing some sewing, mending back packs, clothing and other baby accessories.

Steph and Michael had the excellent opportunity of visiting their sponsor child who lives in a town of Bahir Dar. Steph has been sponsoring this girl for a long time (since high school) and it was a nice coincidence that the child and family were living in the same city as the Grace Centre. I won't say anymore here as I don't know the details - but Steph will probably write a blog entry about this.

At the moment we are getting into a good routine of playing a game of soccer with the local boys (there is a soccer field opposite HQ). Dave Fraser, Michael Cox and myself played yesterday for about 45 minutes which is not bad at this altitude. We had an Aussie v Ethiopia match and went down 2 nil which was ridiculous as one of the goals was an own goal (badly defended by GS) and the other was just pure altitude sickness or something.

I should let you know I am heading home on Wednesday, its been a trip. Someone else (maybe Keliesha) will continue the blog for Moore Park after I leave. Cheers. Chow.

 

Comments

1

Hey guys, this has been an insightful blog. Great to hear that God is good in so many ways. Dav

  DavRoss Jan 12, 2009 10:24 PM

2

Hope you will read it!
first of all thanks for paying a visit to my country, and helping the " poor". i do appreciate your commitment of giving away your time, and money to the orphans! but your goal is not just providing material things but also to get a convert to protestantism-your version of the "right" kind of christianity! The reason i am writing this is that you mentioned that you were tempted to tell them how Jesus freed them from all those kind of religious practices ( rituals)! I do respectifully disagree with you! even though there are some ideas which i share from protestant tradition, i am of the opinion that that it is not the "right" kind of religion in which all the people of the earth should adopt! while trying to get a convert in the name of sharing God's love, i think you should be mindful of the local people's religious and spiritual tradition! Your goal-humanterian as well as spiritual-is commendable but please do not try to make a copy of your protestant tradition in which church attendance is a kind of fast food activity! ( i live here in the USA for the past three years, and i know what i am saying)> so your brand of christianity does not suit us-ours is based on the belief of the ORIT-you call it Judaism in the west, and the revelation of Yeshua which you call it Jesus in your Latin! So all those religeous practices are based on that! by the way you could have got a glimpse of First Century Christianity, how it evelved out of Judaism if you just try a bit to understand the religous background of the people you serve! Other than that The God of Isreal bless you!
By the way the reason we are poor is not becouse we are "orthodox Chrisitans"-the name should be changed to Orthodox messianic for that term proply describe the church well, but the are other plenty of reasons protracted war with a dozen of countries for a long time-Italt two times, Turrky, egypt, sudan, somalia, political manuvers by British, indirect war USA when US was an ally of Somalia...etc, and natural disasters..etc But Our faith kept us alive through it all
you can email me any reactions you have, i am willing to be reprimanded if offended you
By the way i used to serve with my other protestant brothers, and sisters, i am a born again person-just for your information!

  Eli Jun 9, 2009 3:32 AM

About grace_peoples

All of us walking out of the Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.