Existing Member?

Moore Park Grace Centre Adventures www.gracecentres.org :: Read more about the Grace Centre

Life at Grace

ETHIOPIA | Friday, 9 January 2009 | Views [769]

"Tuk Tuk" and Mark.H working on something useful (we think)

There are so many people and so many different aspects and functions of life here that its hard to decide what to write without it becoming a thesis. A few people have been sick (Mary, Naomi, Keliesha, Bryce, Jeff, Simon and myself) so we appreciate prayers for health as it seems to be a bit of worry sometimes.

Mark, Adele and Keliesha arrived at the Grace Centre on Wednesday the 7th which is Ethiopia's Christmas day. As usual it was after some rough plane rides including a mini plane ride from Addis to Bahir Dar on which Keliesha continued to consume the interesting food of which did not appreciate its new home and retraced its steps back into the world frequently over the next 24 hours. All ok now though.

The Horsburgh's have been making themselves useful, Mark building some shelves and Adele looking how to improve aspects of each of the day care centres for the kids education and play needs. Keliesha and Zewditu will be working at big and small kid day care chillin' with the kids.

I wanted to detail a typical day at Grace. So I will to that quickly here.

A typical day at Grace involves emerging from our Mosquito netted beds and have breakfast at HQ at 0900. We usually have a bible study together or separately and then get into the days tasks. Its pretty flexible at Grace so people can attempt whatever they want to whenever they want to. We have lunch around 1300 which is also flexible and not necessarily as a group. More afternoon tasks and then dinner separately at one of the various homes. People can chose to eat anywhere really. After dinner, a group of cool people play 500 for a few hours, while the rest watch either (A) Amharic TV or (B) the Gilmore Girls on DVD supplied by the Canadian Katisse. Everyone tends to be pretty exhausted at this point so we go off to sleep.

Thats a typical day. Fortunately and sometimes unfortunately life in Ethiopia is not very often typical. Both our vehicles are currently out of commission. Leith almost caught on fire riding the "took took" (which is a hybrid motorbike/cart) from an electrical issue. The Suzuki 4WD swallowed too much dirty fuel and stranded Andrew for a while. Its currently in the workshop. On Christmas night instead of playing 500, we let off about 50 very legal fireworks outside Grace - this was just awesome and the best way I can describe it is by a quote from Andrew "I love Ethiopia, you can blow up stuff". I should clarify though - nothing was really blown up, it just seemed that way.

Again I just want to express the blessing it is to be at Grace. We are looked after so well. The staff (cooks, maids, guards) make us good food, wash our clothes and make our beds, and protect us even in this very safe area. The main blessing (and a privledge) however is to be surrounded with a fellowship of believers in Jesus working together to improve the lives of our Ethiopian friends and supporting Andrew and Dee (and kids) in their service to the Lord.

About grace_peoples

All of us walking out of the Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.