Existing Member?

Moore Park Grace Centre Adventures www.gracecentres.org :: Read more about the Grace Centre

Present giving for Ethiopian Christmas

ETHIOPIA | Wednesday, 7 January 2009 | Views [2564] | Comments [2]

Everyone gets a present

Everyone gets a present

The 5th of January involved more practical assistance at the Grace Centre. We completed installation of a ground water tank to boost the header tank. Mary, Steph, Helen and Sara and some others completed preparing Christmas presents for the children. Gwennie (a civil engineer) headed up the "ditch" team which was tasked with installing a drainage ditch for gray water from the main house.

When we arrived at Grace, there was already a Canadian family staying here; Mark, Barb, Katisse and Roan (Evans-Ehricht). A lovely family who contacted Grace while on their travels through other parts of the world. They were looking for a mission somewhere that would take a family on and contributed nicely to the goings on here. Also joining us a few days after we arrived were the Frasers from Sunshine Coast Australia; Dave, Georgia, Bronwyn, Jesse and Eden. Dave works for a charity called (Solution Network Australia) that installs very precious water filter systems in various countries suffering from polluted water. One of these filters has been installed at Grace (for free / cost is around 5K).

Some more good meals and sleep preceded Ethiopia's Christmas Eve. I am writing this on Christmas day. Strangely Ethiopia has a 13 month calender and its currently only 2001 here - which means I just turned 20, and not 28... maybe that's why the average life expectancy is around 48 years old?!

So, Christmas Eve was a special day for us and the children... and the mothers. We had a Christmas performance to look forward to at 3:00pm by the kids at after-school-care (3-12 years). After some hard work we all walked over and took our seats or just the ground to watch. Some singing, some drama, some dancing, even a coffee ceremony and some more delightful singing was the best entertainment since Ababe and his little brothers performed for us in Addis. Finally, it was time for Andrew and Dee to hand out the prepared gifts for the children (mainly clothes and soap). It was a joy to see their joy in receiving what little we had to give. After a childs name was called, all the other kids would chant their name.."Huftamool, huftamool, huftamool!!". The child would then give Andrew a big kiss and say "Amasaganallo" (thankyou very much).

The same thing followed at the smaller kids day care. We helped some boys and girls put on their new clothes. They were so excited. They were all playing with the soap - putting it in and out the box. Not sure they knew what it was, but they loved it.

God Bless - Gareth

Comments

1

I would like to know how I go about giving newly knitted baby and toddlers clothes as I love knitting

  heather carey Nov 4, 2014 8:36 PM

2

AS ABOVE

  heather carey Nov 4, 2014 8:38 PM

About grace_peoples

All of us walking out of the Kebebe Tsehay orphanage.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.