Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

t+3

HAITI | Sunday, 13 February 2011 | Views [244] | Comments [5]

Sunday, our day off. Yesterday was a half day so allow for a BBQ in celebration of All Hands 1 year Leogane Anniversary. Chicken, potato salad, fruit salad, brownies, guacamole(!). Then many of us headed over to the newly opened volleyball court. We do indeed have a volleyball. Net is made from ingenious folks around here who took some of that bright orange plastic netting you might have seen CalTrans (or your version of the arm of the government tasked with building roads and the like) using.

A lot of effort was also put in to cleaning up the rubble in the front yard and letting the grass grow so the court is at least reasonable safe to get crazy on.

I think the crew of hardcore folks just came in off the court about an hour ago which means the v-ball was in the air for the last 7 hours! I had to bail after 3 hours as I'm beginning to get some blisters on the balls of my feet. I did hear that a bit of blood was spilt and I know just by looking around that there are quite a few players that eschewed sun screen.

Our school program is humming along: I was out at school 7 saturday installing door jambs and building furniture with a great crew of 8. Tomorrow we go back to hang doors and continue the furniture assembly. I imagine we will be going back one for partial day to complete those tasks.

Meanwhile, the foundation at ekol ('school' in Creole) 8 is poured, and the foundation at ekol 9 is beginning this coming week.

It was a very good day around here and the atmosphere is upbeat and happy. The volleyball court is a boon!

Other than that all is fairly normal here. Well, as normal as normal can be given the situation.

The new tent is fantastic, but the old tent has yet to be found. I've not yet soured the camp for it, so I'll reserve being pissed off until later. Truly, the tent was not much longer for this world so I wasn't planning on bringing it home: but I did want to at least be able to decide whom to lend and/or give it to for it's remaining useable days.

Okay, gotta go sharpen some chisels and the block plane in preparation for tomorrow's work.

Comments

1

Thanks Mike,
Good to see you and look forward to the entries.
Best,
John

  John Feb 14, 2011 10:22 AM

2

Man- you use chisels? I'm not sure I'd know what to do with one of those!

  Dave zl Feb 14, 2011 10:28 AM

3

Hang tough, Mikey!

  Mark White Feb 14, 2011 10:33 AM

4

Sounds like you're getting back in the swing of things already. Sorry I missed you stateside, but I'm looking forward to spending time with you in the delta this summer. Go Mike! Build those schools!! Jon says hi!

Love, Anne

  Anne Feb 14, 2011 4:08 PM

5

Hard to believe you're back in Haiti! Hope nothing else walked away while you were stateside?!?
Happy Valentine's Day Bro!
xox -K

  Korin Feb 15, 2011 11:09 AM

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.