Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

t-6 days

USA | Sunday, 27 June 2010 | Views [229]

Jon D. and Ed I. came to the apartment today and helped move the last of the stuff into storage. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! It's a darn hot day to be doing that type of work and they hung with me. I hope I wasn't too unorganized...hehe.

So I sold the Honda F2 yesterday and it threw me for quite a tailspin. It went for less than I felt it was worth, but all the market would seem to bear all things considered. I'd rather forgotten how much connection I felt to that bike...all we'd been thru together...kickin a$$ in AFM, so many SMR adventures it's hard to beleive, Konacti v.1, 2, and 3, my bro's first m/c ride (2 up out Mines Road...muhaha), Mines w/ Mark & Bill or Ian, and so on and so forth.


But then it dawned on me: that's a huge amount of energy and emotional investment in a machine and ain't that what I'm doing here? To free up a bunch of that energy and investment to make room for new stuff that the Universe will surely offer up? Besides, how to mourne a bike when there is the loss of Scooter and the loss I am about to see in a manner of days.

So I got done with the mourning. I'm still reeling a tad, but I know it's gone to a home that will enjoy it greatly and he understood what I was going thru as I was signing it over. It's all good and the good stuff built up in that bike will carry on with the new owner just as I will carry on what it gave me into the future.


So I was also thinking about 4th of July. It's a huge part of the Leister family to celebrate the 4th on the delta. It was Scooter's favorite holiday and one he even wrote of in a College Appication Essay. It hangs heavy on me that I'm not with my family on this 4th - instead I'll be on t+1 trying to learn the ropes of living in Leogane, Haiti. I can't help but think, though, that it's somehow fitting to remember Scooter by winging off to another land to help those in need this 4th. I'm not exactly sure how it's fitting, just that it does feel that way.


Finally, this American Airlines thang. I feel bad using this blog to harp on the negative out there. Here's my bottom line on it: Step up and grow a pair, AA. Really. Give me a reasonable explanation other than "we do this every year", "lots of people fly this time of year" (so if a flight was booked solid in January you'd suddenly impose an embargo on those arriving at the gate? NOT!) and "that's the way it is". EVERYONE in your company that mans a phone should know WHY your rules are the way they are. AND they should at the very least be encouraged to share that infomation with those of us on the other end of that phone, email, etc. You spout a bunch of feel good vomit on your website about customer service and corporate identity/citizenship yet I saw not one iota of that in any conversation I had with your Reservations and Complaints/Compliments departments. And the Compliments/Complaint Department really needs a complete makeover. Shameful, the response I got (not to mention the method). Just shameful.

Okay, that's all I got's to say 'bout that negative small minded stuff.

I hand in the keys to the apartment either tomorrow or Tuesday...yikes! I'm nearly officially without a home! FREAkin' out just a bit...lol

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.