Existing Member?

Travel blog I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental and I eat French toast (Beastie Boys) | | | Photos available at www.istockphoto.com/georgeclerk

Generalisations about Scandinavia

FINLAND | Monday, 17 September 2007 | Views [2226] | Comments [5]

- The cities have lots of good buskers, using all sorts of instuments - trumpets, saxaphones, wine glasses, glockenspiels etc.

- The food from kiosks on the street is surprisingly good, but not that cheap.

- Coffee is taken quite seriously, and most people drink their coffee black. Sometimes you can't get milk even if you want it.

- They have more reasonable anti-smoking laws than we've now got in the UK... hostels and hotels are allowed smoking areas and rooms, pubs and clubs have smoking rooms, and smoking's allowed in some big public spaces like train stations.


- Its true about the outrageously high proportion of attractive girls in Scandinavia, putting them at a close second to Scotland.

- There are more people asking for money than I expected. As well as a lot of normal beggers on the street, quite a lot of people approached me asking for money with long stories based around "I'm travelling from X to Y and someone stole my wallet, could you spare maybe one crown..."

- Where there's no cycle lane, bicycling on the pavement seems to be OK.


- Snus is more popular than I realised. It's the moist powdered tabacco which you make into a little ball and put under your upper lip for anything between a few minutes to most of the day.

- Almost everyone waits for the green man at the pavement, even when you can clearly see that there's no traffic coming for 200 metres.



- Accutately aimed projectile spitting is quite popular.

- Despite the high cost of Alcohol, people still manage to consume it in abundance!


- Trying to leave the Free Record Shop, which is all over Scandinavia, with a record for free may lead to prosecution.

Tags: On the Rails

Comments

1

Hi George
It's raining here in Brighton! Am feeling very jealous - but loving your photos. Bournemouth is next and then Blackpool! Surely you're missing something there!!

Alex x

  Alex Whiting Sep 19, 2007 9:47 PM

2

Is that as close as you could get to a woman to take a photo? You should get a "Lambo special" camera with tilting viewfinder and ultra zoom lens. In Monaco he determined that the girls on the floating sunbathing platform were not topless - something you could not tell with the naked eye. We didn't score a solitary goal in Monaco. Not enough practise me thinks. Lyndsey doesn't know the song Norwegian Wood so I told her your poser was "A Forest" by The Cure!

  Not Kevin Clements Sep 20, 2007 1:20 AM

3

Why did you send that message three times Andy Wadsworth?

  Kevin Sep 20, 2007 5:44 AM

4

momentum - and the error messages I kept getting

  Clem unmasked Sep 21, 2007 6:56 PM

5

George,

Where are you now . . . are you on a train? Your adventures look fun.

Mark

  Mark, Marko, Anders Sep 22, 2007 6:23 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.