Existing Member?

Travel blog I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental and I eat French toast (Beastie Boys) | | | Photos available at www.istockphoto.com/georgeclerk

Xian

CHINA | Monday, 22 October 2007 | Views [4909] | Comments [7]

Telling me all about China before I left, Rosie McC said that Xian (Xi'an - pronounced like Sheean - just a wee city compared to Beijing and Shanghai, with only 7 million people!) was a great place, and she wasn't lying! After a few days I decided to extend my stay to five nights at the brilliant Xiang Zi Men hostel, a traditional Chinese old building with courtyards and all the trimmings, facing out onto the monumental south wall of the city.

Eva arrived from Shanghai the day after me, and we went to a Tibetan restaurant for a traditional hotpot meal, which involved a man with a net going over to a tiny pond in the corner, fishing out a large wriggling carp (an oversized goldfish I think), and bringing it over, weighed at 1.5 kilos for us to decide if it looked Ok. About three minutes later it was gutted and bubbling away on an electric stove set into the middle of our table, joined by oily water, spices, lemongrass, chillies, bamboo, beansprouts, huge amounts of garlic, and - whenever we chose to chuck them in - sliced potato and cauliflower (slightly dull choices, but these were the only optional extras from a long list that our waitress could translate.) All very delicious.

As well as trying to teach me to play Chinese chess, LiYong, a very nice crazy mentalist from Chengdu, looking for a new job in Xi'an (but mainly just fooling around) who insisted on using a special pipe to smoke normal cigarettes, took me, Dan and Adam (who I'd met in Shanghai) and to a proper local restaurant pronounced Loulu (=Happy) the following night - we wouldn't have stood a chance deciphering the menu or bossing the waitresses around without him, and we had a huge meal complete with drinks, tea and soup for about 90 pence each.

Talking of food, Eva noticed it in the hostel, and I had the same on the street the next day - fruit salads here include tomatoes! Fair enough and quite nice actually, I remember being told they're fruits... as long as I don't get a vegetable stir fry which includes strawberries!

Between Eva, Dan, Adam and me going to see the Terracotta Army, it turned out that three of us had studied archaeology, but none of us knew a single thing about Chinese prehistory, so it was lucky that, on the journey from Xian, the staff on the minibus changed so much that we were told the same stories and facts three times!

The terracotta warriors were discovered in 1976 by farmers who were digging a well. Incidentally, one has become a celebrity in China because when Bill Clinton came to Xian on a presidential visit, he met Yang Zhifa, one the farmers and asked for an autograph. Being illiterate, the farmer drew a small circle for Clinton instead and got his 15 minutes of fame.

Lots more excavation is to be done, but almost 10,000 life size warriors have been found already - each with different facial figures, and specific ranks and functions.

In the 3rd century BC, Qin Shi Huang, the Emperor responsible for the terracotta army managed to unite China and also started the Great Wall, but for all his achievements he sounds like a bit of a git! He tricked and killed hundreds of intellectuals; ordered all books that weren't to do with his family history or agriculture to be destroyed; hundreds of his concubines that didn't have children had to die as soon as he did, and he even decided that all the makers of his terracotta army should be killed as soon as they were finished! No surprise that Mao was a big fan.

Before growing a full mullet, I decided to try getting a haircut in Xian, which started with a mandatory head massage and shampooing - I tried to find out how much it was all going to cost but in the end had to hope for the best. After that I was put in a seat and a Chinese car magazine was thrust into my hands. Ten minutes later... 'Hello' - the barber was ready, and the risky business of trying to communicate using only hand signals began.


Cowboy's clothes floor (I think that meant jeans and checked shirts)

I wasn't sure from the signals if he'd decided to take a little bit off, or leave me with a little bit of hair, but a lots of scissor cutting went on, and at the end my hair was a very slightly shorter version of what it had been an hour before! £1.

I also hired a bike to ride the 15km route around the top of the huge city walls that enclose the central part of Xian. Supposedly only one other city in China still has complete defensive walls intact. Never got to see all the way along any of the walls, because of the ever-present smog.

Though the hostel had WiFi, they seemed to have some upload problem or limit, so I couldn't upload to iStock. I decided to try the lobby of a swanky hotel, and went to the Howard Johnson Plaza, not too far from hostel, on the other side of the city wall. I tried to impersonate a guest by wearing my smartest clothes, but still stuck out like a sore thumb as a young, hip, streetwise, undercover traveller(!) from the chinos and pressed shirts of the middle aged tourists.

Anyway, I didn't get chucked out, and sipped my beer (felt I should buy something, but at 29 yuan for a small beer at the HoJo versus 4 yuan at the hostel for a large beer it was like being back in Scandinavia!) as the cheesy music came from a white piano on a fairy light encrusted revolving stage. When I arrived there was a man playing, but he'd got bored and switched the piano to autoplay before I left.

On my last day I headed on a long trip out of the city to climb the Taoist holy mountain Hua Shan, joined by a few real pilgrims, and many thousands of Chinese tourists. Thankfully most of them didn't climb too high, as the steep and narrow walkways at the start were ridiculously crowded with pushing and shoving tourists. Trying to keep polite when you're being repeatedly jabbed by elbows and stepped in front of can be hard!

There were no paths, but chunky steps cut into the rock for the emperors who came to the peaks - back when Xian was the Imperial capital - to appease the gods, presumably for their appalling behaviour, like having to themselves regular lavish eighty course meals that could have fed thousands of their starving peasant subjects!

But the reason for the mountains being considered holy was clear, which me and my camera - only with a 50mm lens couldn't do justice. Huge sheer drops all over the place with autumnal trees everywhere they had a chance to grow.

As well as pilgrims and tourists, these sherpa style guys climb up and down the peaks three times daily, carrying gas, water and food. I had to have total respect for this guy, who - while climbing with his heavy load, was also able effortlessly to play a harmonica and smoke a cigarette, at the same time. He also tried out his English phrases - 'hello', 'how are you', 'good afternoon' and 'I love you'!

On my way down from a peak towards the end of the day, I stopped in at a teahouse, and there he was again, grabbing a bite to eat. Four Chinese guys were also there, and they managed to (with some help from 20 yuan) persuade him to sing a song, which he did with great passion, his booming and operatic voice drawing others in to watch and listen from the level above in the pagoda. After the applause I added my 10 yuan for the effort (sitting right next to him I'd got a good listen), and that prompted him to launch into a further three songs, one of which was a sort of very long Chinese rap, involving audience participation. Then he sat down for a smoke and some more tea to get him ready for another load.

Chongqing Strange Tasting Horsebeans. Do exactly what it says on the tin!

Leaving Xian, it was sad saying goodbye to the friendly staff and new friends at the hostel, especially to LiYong (catchphrases 'Come On' and, sung Ronan Keating stylee, 'It's a little bit funny'), who'd been a constant source of laughter and fun, plus good advice on China and Mandarin. He kindly gave me a dvd of 'Cheers' - not the US sitcom, but the English name of a sweet voiced Taiwanese pop sensation who sings melodic ballads.

Wet One's Whistle

Then the 18 hour journey from Xian to Chengdu, on a much older train, with the carriages identical to the older of the Russian trains, except that they had squat rather than western style toilets. Thankfully my stomach was back to normal by now, as I didn't fancy trying to use one for serious business on a swaying and jolting train, especially after reading somewhere the advice to westerners - 'until you are experienced in using a squat toilet, remove your trousers and pants completely to avoid defecating on them'!!

How to stop the carriage

Having memorised a new phrase 'ni jiang ying wen ma' (do you speak English) with - I thought - all the right tones, I tried it out on a smiling guard in the restaurant carriage who'd said 'hello', but neither him nor the other laughing staff members could work out what I was on about - I think they thought I was speaking English still. But I did manage to get a cold tea when I was after a hot coffee!

More general stuff about China

- Lots of employees. I suppose communist traditions and a population of 1.3 billion have something to do with it, but it's sometimes astonishing to see the number of staff shops, restaurants, trains etc have. In one fairly small, normal priced clothes shop there were four employees in a line outside the door, about eight near the front of the shop as I went in, all wanting to help me find something, three or four behind the till, many others scattered around plus two security guards. I went to the changing room and there were two more staff members, just having a natter and a laugh. Sometimes if getting a drink or something, one person will reach to the fridge and get the drink, one will write a receipt and take your cash, and a third will - if it's not a modern till - use a calculator (or sometimes an abacus) then hand over your change.

- Although most young city-dwelling Chinese are very trendy and cool, it seems to be standard practise that the men carry their girlfriends' frilly and spangley handbags for them while window shopping.

- The food is great, but after weeks of spicy, oily and dumplingy meals, I've sometimes found myself craving things like milk, bread, coffee and cereal, which are pretty much only available from cop-out western or western style coffee shops etc. I've copped out and paid outrageous prices for the odd latte or bowl of cereal once or twice!

Concuss with the world together. Not really sure what they're trying to get at with that tagline!

Tags: On the Rails

 

Comments

1

Hi George
Am loving your pics and pennings - entertaining and fascinating. Carry on!
lots of love, Ro xxx

  Ro Oct 25, 2007 8:11 AM

2

George, I agree, your blog is superb, very informative and fun. Look forward to reading the next chapter from wherever you might be. Mark

  Mark Anderson Oct 27, 2007 4:24 PM

3

dear george simon and i have had another look at your blog and we enjoy it very much. I will look again tomorrow. Tim is loving Cardiff Uni but says that only the Medics & Architecture students do any work & he's having trouble keeping up -what with the horrendous initiation ceremony for getting into the architecture football team. He seems to have a permanent hangover but no doubt he'll aclimatise or (more likely) run out of money! George it seems from your blogs that you are having a fantastic time and we wre having a wonderful time reading about it. Keep it up! with love from us all, G.

  Isabel Collins (senior) Oct 27, 2007 7:16 PM

4

Hey George! found you... well at least I think its you
Remember me we met in Xian Zimermen?? Hostel. will be following your progress great work mate

  Tim Nov 11, 2007 1:43 AM

5

Hi Tim, yes it is me! Thanks for the advice to go to Hua Shan, really enjoyed it & it was great to get above all the smog

  george Nov 15, 2007 2:09 AM

6

I loved reading about your everyday exploits whilst traveling through China. I head off on 14th October and will be visiting Beijing, Tibet and Hong Kong - can't wait!Although I lived in Germany in the 70's, I have never done any long haul trips until now and at 55 yrs old I am looking forward to the adventure....ta for sharing yours

  Mary Sep 16, 2009 3:59 AM

7

Hello George. China really fascinating! Thanks for sharing us the view along your trip. Terracota and Taoist holy mountain so awesome!

  Edi N Oct 22, 2009 2:21 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.