Existing Member?

Every Journey Counts Working with a charity and taking a look around. Just enjoying meeting people and living a different way of life with new challenges.

Bangkok: 'Bastion of wholesome tourism'

THAILAND | Thursday, 5 May 2011 | Views [1452]

Two bits of advice for people visiting Bangkok.. one, have the name and address of your hotel written down in Thai for the taxi driver.. they don't do english! And two, never get in a tuk tuk without an oxygen mask. The pollution is scary. Though not to do this city down, it is an amazing place, with a somewhat futuristic feel to it. 

We stayed at a hotel that time forgot 'The Atlanta'. Famous for it's 1950's art deco lobby complete with the original perky and quick witted staff. It's a hidden jewel.

"Zero tolerance & sleaze free zone, no sex tourists, junkies, louts and other degenerates." Dr Henn 1952

The title reads... 'Terrible portrait of Dr Henn good portrait on opposite wall'

Oh how times have changed Dr Henn but don't worry, your vision lives on in The Atlanta!

The rooms were pretty basic but it had a pool and a tropical garden with a family of turtles living there. There were two cats who occupy the guest armchairs in the lobby, stretched out flat like a couple of bolster cushions. There is a miniature library and a reading lounge and a hefty visitor's etiquette guidebook! The internet access has a very serious looking 'honesty box' above it, for use of the net.

Our short stay in Bangkok consisted of a trip to the reclining Buddha and a lesson by our tour guide on how to be a good buddhist. The one tip I remember is 'to live in the present'. So its strange that I'm writing in the past tense?

The palace grounds are full of pagodas (a tomb for ashes) of previous kings and royal family. But as well as being a place of worship, it is also a place of study. There are a wealth of reliefs and murals that can only be described as teaching resources. Monks and privileged people would study there. In one of my photos you can see anatomical drawings used when teaching medicine and accupressure points of the body. Amazing!

I won't say much about the reclining Buddha except that, you must see it! His feet are made from mother of pearl and show the steps to enlightenment. All of the statues there are surprising.

This city feels like it's larger than London (?) with a skytrain and skyscrapers towering over you, an international airport to rival heathrow and hyperactive street life, there is so much to explore here.

Tags: accupressure, bangkok, buddhist, monks, pollution, reclining buddha, study, taxi drivers, tuktuk, zero tolerance

About gem_sky


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.