Existing Member?

Gauri's Adventures

On the road to Cinque Terre...

ITALY | Friday, 20 April 2007 | Views [255]

Today we left for Cinque Terre. I didn’t end up going to school because I wanted a personal sleep in day in preparation for the beach. After we ate lunch, we headed to the station around 1 because our train left at 1:30. Before getting on the train, I ate McDonald’s and it was extremely delicious. I don’t even like McDonald’s when I’m at home but I was craving fast food. I definitely need some Skyline in my life. Anyways, after we finally arrived in Cinque Terre around 5:00, we went to our hotel, put our bathing suits on and headed straight for the beach. The weather was still amazing, even though it was late in the day. We hung out at the beach for a couple hours and then went back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Morgan, Katie and I decided it would be more fun to not shower and just start drinking our alcohol before dinner. While in Cinque Terre, we stayed in new part of one of the two biggest towns, Monterosso, and ate dinner at a restaurant in the older part of Monterosso. Since we were right on the coast, seafood is obviously the specialty but I absolutely can’t handle seafood so Chiara told the waiter that when we got to dinner so every time a big platter came out for everyone else, I got my own special plate. My food was actually amazing. For the first course, I had pasta and my second course was grilled chicken and French fries. At dinner, we had these big jugs of wine and apparently we heard Cinque Terre wine is really amazing… and it was. After all our wine, seafood and pasta, the waiters brought out lemon sorbet for dessert and it was AMAZING. It reminded me of the frozen lemonade at ATP. And then after the lemon sorbet, the waiters brought out shots of limoncello which is Italian liquor. I couldn’t handle taking a shot of it because I smelled it and it was awful, so Katie and I passed ours off to Alexia and Kristi. After dinner, we went to the one and only bar (called the American Bar, they must know Americans like to drink). I had a drink called a Capiroska which was strawberries, limes and vodka. It was delicious, but strong! Chiara had two and was drunk, but that wasn’t counting all 6 glasses of wine she had at dinner. We all made fun of her because she just kept drinking the wine and then at the end of dinner we would ask her questions and she would be like “Oh I’m sorry, I just had too much wine.” We made some new friends who are from around Cinque Terre though so that was a lot of fun! There names were Roberto and Domenico. One of their friends was named Niccolo but his nickname was Spigolino which apparently means he is a bad driver and crashes into things a lot. Domenico told me I should go say “Hey Spigolino!” to him, so we went inside the bar and I said that and walked away and he just laughed at me and told me he would take me driving in his car and he wouldn’t crash it. I obviously refused that one. Somewhere in the night, Kristi wiped out (because she usually does) and she was on the phone at the time and her phone went flying. I didn’t see her go down, but the aftermath was hilarious!

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.