Existing Member?

Quest

Nanaimo

CANADA | Friday, 2 November 2007 | Views [549] | Comments [1]

We're finally here!

First, we had to downsize: we purchased two backpacks on wheels with break away day packs. It is a great way to travel. We fed exed two big suitcases back to my brother in Winnipeg who will take them over to David's mom's place. They were filled with things! I got into a bit of a panic. After taking a taxi to the bus stop with our things (add a few grocery bags full of food to the small suitcase/backpack load), and taking a bus across West Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay, I got us there with loads of time to spare!! But, it was nice because we got our tickets without any line up whatsoever, had a picnic by Horseshoe Bay, and checked out the local aboriginal shop.

It was amazing to arrive here in Nanaimo at the home of my oldest friend! We have been reminiscing and she has brought forth some of the most amazing stories from those days long ago... My (that's her name) is warm, energetic, humourous -- a clown, actually, at times. She lives here with her husband, John, and 13 year old son, Spencer. It has been really neat to be part of a family household such as this. And really interesting to remember what it feels like! My is a consummate cook, but we do have our quirks, among which is eating totally organic and so, we have been sharing many dinner times together and having great visits, but we have been preparing our meals in tandem. It's a first for My! She has never shared her kitchen before! Can you imagine what that must be like?! Anyway, My is very clear and expressive about her needs, and so, we have worked together to make this work! It's pretty different for her -- she is accustomed to being the 'mistress of her own domain' (kitchen)!  Thanks, My, for accomodating us. I have loved our visit! (Afternote: Since leaving, I have to say that I understood the meaning of the expression: I felt as if I left a part of me behind!) 

We found an environment where the coniferous trees were much bigger than we were used to in the prairies.  The climate is more nurturing of plants here.  North Nanaimo was where we were visiting, and it is a place of slopes, and houses looking over lower areas and the ocean.  The air was moist and oxygenated by trees and nice to breathe.  We had jaunts to local shopping areas from John and My's house for groceries and bought a small camera from a super person, Peter Ward at London Drugs there.  If you find yourself near Nanaimo and are in need of a camera, Peter's your man.  (Afternote: Unfortunately, we left our battery and battery charger at John and My's place, and so there may be few or no pictures until we arrive at Marla and Henry's place in Victoria this coming weekend.)

Nanaimo is our first stop on the island, and we are definitely heading for Victoria at some point, but the rest is in process... We are enjoying the air in Nanaimo as well as the uphill and downhill walks! Fantastic!

 

Comments

1

Hey Dave and Fran, <br><br>Nanaimo, is a great town. This was my first place to live on the Island. Lots of shopping and cafes to eat at. Like many things Nanaimo has changed (grown) since I have lived there.<br><br>If you get a chance there is a collier (mine) museum at the Harbour park Mall. It might still be there!!! It's been a while. Another great hike or thing to do: check out New Castle Island. A Ferry takes you there and you dock at the Pub. There is a 7 km hike around the island. Lots of views and history. Great thing to do if you get the chance or the weather holds out.<br><br>Been a while since I have done the hike, but the clam chowder soup at the pub. Let me know if you get a chance to try it. I still think it's the best, I have had on the island.<br><br>All The Best<br><br>Bart and Lynda

  Bart McCombe Nov 6, 2007 8:14 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.