Existing Member?

Another trip part 2 The amazing adventures of a lass from Belle Isle!!

Wow!

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 26 September 2007 | Views [1204] | Comments [6]

Hi All

Sorry have not being in contact, but this is the first time I have had access to the internet. What an experience since my last entry !

We left Lake Malawi after been fleeced by the locals, but rested after after a few days in a bed and catching some sun.

We arrived in Zimbabwe (after a 3 hour delay at the border of Mozambique and we only wanted to drive through!)to a power cut and no water, we pitched our tents and had a wee behind the bus then off to bed!!

Now in Zim. we had at least 3 stops by the police wanting to get on the truck to see if we had guns or explosives!!

First stop was in Harare for an hour to drop off Douglas our chef so he could go drop off food for his family and spend a few days with them. Harare is a lovely city, we felt safe although we dare not take photos as a previous truck had spent a night in jail for taking a foto near a goverment building !! The shops are practically empty and water and electricity are sparse in some parts but the locals appear remarkably up beat, we take so much fro granted.

Our next stop was at the Great Zimbabwe Ruins, the showers looked like something out of Coldwitz!! and it was freezing in the night we were sleeping in any spare clothing we could find!!

We spent the morning going around the ruins which was fascinating. On the truck again and off to Bulawayo.

We stayed on a lovely site on the outskirts with a small pool. Unfortunately there was an ant problem and I ahd to upgrade to a dorm the 2nd night as I woke up to ants in my pants!!

The next day has to be the high light of the trip  so far, we went on a walking safari in the Matobo national park, home to the largest group of white rhino. Our guide was a less hyper Steve Irwin and fascinating. We came aound  a corner to see 2 adult rhino about 20 metres away fom us. Ian our guide then said come on lets go see them! 1/2 of us got out of the jeep and followed our leader, not without acertain amount of hesitation, no actually fear is proberbly closer!!!

We got about 7/8 metres away before we had to retreat a sthey were getting edgy!!That night we went out to a local watering hole, where the majority if the group got extremely drunk!!!

Last stop on the tour was Vic Falls, a really small touristy town but the falls wre worth the visit, saw them from a helicoptor and in the national park and they are breath taking.

Watched some of the group throw them selves off the bridge; bungee and swing which had a 80metre freefall!!!

After a few tears left the group yesterday and arrived in Cape town around 8pm, the B7B is lovely; double bed,hairdryer,ensuite,pool!!! Ok camping was fun but this is fab!!!

Chilling today then going to explore tommorow.

By the way Fozzie goes back to college days he was my favourite muppet !

The tatto is not real did I not say that it was henna!!

Hope you all well

Take care

Loads of love

Tracey xxxx

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

Wow Trace that all sounds amazing and I'm pretty jealous! Will definitely have to put it on our list to do! Well done for getting through it all! Enjoy your relaxing by the pool and a proper bed!
Take care,
Love Lizzie

  Liz Ascham Sep 26, 2007 9:34 PM

2

I'm sooooooo jealous. I agree it sounds so exciting and out of this world. What an experience and dead proud of you. So are you now more contactable and do we get to see some photos - real evidence of your trip. Re charge your batteries and chill and reflect on your adventure so far and what's to come.
Take care,
Tracy
xx

  tracy b Sep 27, 2007 4:27 AM

3

Wooooaaahhh!! That is too much excitement for my little friend to have!! I think I would have truly been pooing myself. So where did you actually hide your explosives Trace??? We are all so bloody fortunate and still dare to moan cos the White Rose or Meadowhall are too busy on a weekend etc. What a hard life we have to endure. I hope you are going to come back a better person from this Tracey, remember how shallow and materialistic you were before you went??? JOKE!!!!!

I wasn't going to lower the tone and mention 'ants in your pants' but then realised it would be expected of me so all I am going to say is that I read it a little quickly first time and thought you'd had 'ands in your pants'. You little minx,I thought, inviting the locals in! I have had two wildlife encounters myself this week (three if you count seeing Tress in Primark!). I saw rabbits on Tingley roundabout and a hedgehog going a little too slowly across Lowry Road. I can tell you are impressed.
Please try and post some fotos, want to see!!!

Shame WE can't post fotos on, I have some of Josephs new student house, it may harbour species that haven't even been identified!!! Another joke, it is actually clean(ish) and tidy(ish)

I think you should be ashamed to try and fob off your friends with that rubbish about why you are called Fozzie!!! Myself and Miss Piggy know the truth and I for one feel you should be upstanding and come clean about the real reason!!! Just think about it while you are chilling and recharging your batteries (Im intrigued as to what battery powered product you stashed in your rucksack, I really thought you would have left that at home!)
Msg for Tress, hope you are feeling much better and managed to wangle another sicknote from doctor!!

Lots of Luvvy Stuff

Maxine
ps your roof repairs are coming on great. Well, by great I mean that your Keith has been to look at it. But he forgot his ladders so didn't actually get out of the van. But I have seen Property Ladder and I know it will all come right in the end. Now where did Iput Sarah Beenys number.....???

XxXx


  Max Sep 27, 2007 8:11 AM

4

Ooops.Didn't mean to post twice. Sorry.

  Maxine Sep 27, 2007 8:13 AM

5

Well finally some action - and what action, sounds amazing (not the ants in your pants bit), hope you remembered to shoot (camera speak:)) the bits where you could, I'll bet you were itching to have a go at the Bungee, and got slaughtered with the others, you pretend to be a lady, but I'll bet it was Lady to Ladette mmm (yeah right). Sorry I missed your call today, was shopping for a coat (because I've not got one - well I didn't have that one)!
Cannot believe you have nearly been gone a month. Had my strip off yesterday and am healing nicely. My (luvly - nice person not fworrrr) surgeon recommended me to buy some anti-scar gel for ONLY £30 for a 15g tube. I thought, I'll just not throw my head back when I laugh thanks. Then went to Boots today and before I knew it I asked if they had it and the rest is history!!
Anyway from your voice mail you are living it up in Cape Town, good for you! I am living it up at home - R&R.
I am going to see Carnival Messiah tomorrow at Harewood House. My cousin is playing the lead female part and has got Nads and I some free tickets. Wonder if there is a part for a slightly elderly tap dancer? what do you reckon. hahahahahahaha


Take care of you! Hi from Debs and Chris

T X

  Tressey Sep 30, 2007 5:06 AM

6

Hi Trace

Was so nice being able to speak to you at the weekend. Got a bit choked when I put the phone down! You know what I'm like :0) Sounds like you are having the most amazing time though. I can't believe you enjoyed the camping bit. Glad you did. Never mind the ants in your pants think I would been clenching my cheeks being soooooo close to those 2 Rhino!! AND, you went up in a helicopter and looked down over the Falls - this trip is definitely turning you into a changed woman. You'll be Bungeeing and Hangliding before the end of the week!!

Look forward to the next installment.

Love Jo Sav

Cape Town sounds lovely and nice for you to kick back and relax and enjoy some comforts again.

Like everyone esle I'm dying to see some photos.

Max don't worry about getting hold of SB for the roof, that 'No More Nails' is great stuff and between us I'm sure we can stick it back on and it'll be as good as new.

  Jo Sav Oct 3, 2007 9:06 AM

About fozzy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.