Existing Member?

Between Monks and Monkeys

Salaam Baalak Trust Walk, Delhi

INDIA | Saturday, 4 February 2012 | Views [1212]

In Delhi I went on a really interesting walk with ex-street kids, organised by the Salaam Baalak Trust. The Trust rescues kids who have run away from home or got lost in crowds and find themselves living on the streets in Delhi and other cities. They survive by stealing, working wherever they can, gathering bottles for recycling, or begging, and often sleep on the railway stations. It's very tough, and the kids often get forced into prostitution or get ripped off by shopkeepers or robbed by gangs.

Salaam Baalak Trust has several houses around Delhi for kids they have rescued. If they can't find their parents, or the kids don't want to return to an abusive home the Trust gives them a home and helps with their education.

The guy who took us on the walk around the maze of streets near New Delhi Railway Station and to visit a Trust house was Satender, an ex-street kid who had recently graduated from high school thanks to help from the Trust. It was a fascinating walk and I learned a lot about a hidden side of city life in India. The kids I met at the trust house were great guys - full of humour, life and hope.

The Trust welcomes volunteers if you want to do something to help (and donations, of course. ) They have a good website where you can plenty of info and book for a walk. Something different and worthwhile to do in Delhi.

If you liked this story, you might be interested in reading "Between Monks and Monkeys", written after my first time in India (teaching Englsih in Dharamshala) in 2010. Available as an Ebook for US$1.99 on Kindle, NOOK, I-tunes 

etc, or as a paperback (email me for details.)

Tags: city walk, delhi, new delhi railway station, salaam baalak, street kids

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.