Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Tagged!

ECUADOR | Thursday, 17 June 2010 | Views [622]

Church door, Quito

Church door, Quito

It could have been worse.  It was just ‘things’ after all.  They are insured and no one was hurt.  But it was the icing on the birthday cake, so to speak.  Yeah, today is my happy f-ing birthday, one we won’t soon forget.

We had pretty much decided to cut the trip short anyway.  Brazil is too expensive to justify now that Sandy isn’t going to meet us there.  It seems like we have seen all the colonial towns before; Lima, Arequipa, Cusco, Cuenca and now Quito – plus all the places we visited in Mexico. 

For something different we took a bus this morning for Banos where the Tungurahua volcano is erupting.  On the way someone opened my backpack on the bus and took both cameras and my sunglasses.  When I picked up the pack it weighed nothing.  And I almost stopped breathing.  Both my cameras were gone, about $2500 worth.

We knew we would get tagged eventually.  The odds were against us.  And this is the third time we have had problems in Ecuador.  Without cameras it hardly makes sense to continue the trip so after filing a police report – in Spanish, mind you – we bussed back to Quito, found an American Airline office and changed our flight home.  To tomorrow!

Does this leave a bad taste re Ecuador?  You bet your ass it does!  We had eleven wonderful weeks in Peru and in only three weeks in Ecuador (1) I was almost robbed at an ATM in Guayaquil, (2) Connie had money stolen on our Galapagos cruise and (3) today.  We are getting tired of the food, greedy cab drivers, high prices and (let's get petty here) buying drinking water.  So it's time to go home.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.