Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Muyuna Lodge II

PERU | Friday, 21 May 2010 | Views [1018]

Mother sloth with baby, Muyuna Lodge

Mother sloth with baby, Muyuna Lodge

It rained hard all night long but Moises thought we should still be able to see some birds this morning.  We towed two small fiberglass canoes upstream to a beautiful lake and he was right.  It was cool and cloudy and the birds were very active.  We saw about 20 new species before breakfast.  We hadn’t used the canoes at all and we left them at the lake for later.

There were only eight of us left at the lodge for breakfast and Jonathan (Australia), Uta (Germany) and the Mozambique/Portugal couple were leaving at lunch.  The other two guys were going camping overnight.  No one was arriving today so we would have the entire lodge to ourselves.

We went back to the lake for the canoes and paddled through the forest.  The area was more open than yesterday and was dominated by a number of sprawling strangler figs.  We were looking primarily for antbirds.  They are shy little guys but we managed to not only see but to photograph several species.  It wasn’t easy in the low light and Connie’s paddler thought it was hysterical when I said ‘godamit’ or ‘shit’ when I couldn’t focus on a bird.  He laughed every time he thought about it.

Moises said we would be out for only a short time so we left our packs and rain jackets in the motorboat.   Not smart!  We were gone much longer and it rained.  Hard!  We were in some pretty thick forest by then and Moises decided to bushwack through the bushes rather than retrace our steps.  I zipped the camera into the leg of my rainpants and helped pull the boat from bush to bush, ever mindful of his backswing with the machete.  When I teased him asking “Conoce donde estamos?” he turned with a smile and said “Survivor Amazon.”  We were soaked when we reached the motorboat but it was a warm rain.  And we weren’t camping!

At three we headed upriver in a light rain, which soon gave way to blue sky to the most peaceful lake.  It’s one of four lakes that connect to the Amazon, 40 km away.  There wasn’t a ripple on the surface except for our wake and a breaching dolphin.  We saw several new birds and a mother sloth and her baby.

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.