Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Lake Yarinacocha

PERU | Sunday, 16 May 2010 | Views [910]

Capped herons

Capped herons

Laguna Yarinacocha is much nicer when the sun is shining.  We spend both Saturday and Sunday mornings cruising around in Miguel’s peki-peki (the sound the long-tail motor makes) looking for birds.  Miguel caught on quickly.  He slowed the boat every time we raised our camera or binoculars and he kept the sun to our backs whenever he could.  Large-billed terns dove for the jumping fish and Connie was a bit startled when a 6-inch mullet landed on her lap.

On Saturday we cruised the lakeshore and up the canal that connects to the Ucayali River.  We saw three new species and got good photos of many others.  There were hundreds of black-crowned night herons, many loud Amazon and ringed kingfishers and of course the long-billed terns.   While Miguel stopped to add more gas to the engine we watched a pair of pink dolphins hunt for fish.           

We returned today to visit the botanical gardens.  Other than the sign on the riverbank we aren’t sure we actually found it.  Victorio guided us through a mosquito filled forest on a trail we wouldn’t have found on our own.  His two dogs ran ahead, scaring everything.  One of them caught, killed and devoured a squirrel monkey.  We did manage to see four new species and got great photos of a pair of capped herons, the nightjar-like great potoo and a laughing falcon.

 

 

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.