Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

A Day at the Office: Instituto del Bien Comun

PERU | Thursday, 6 May 2010 | Views [770]

Our first IBC meeting

Our first IBC meeting

Once again the Shipibo family was camped on the sidewalk outside our hotel selling bracelets, necklaces and such.  They are so hopeful we will buy and look so pitiful when we don’t.  Maybe someday.  Peruvians are so polite, offering a ‘Buen dia’ as we pass or sometimes ‘Eh gringo!’  Pleasantries must be exchanged even with cab drivers before asking where you want to go.  In the office everyone shakes hands each morning and excuses themself before leaving the room.

It is only a short walk to the office and we leave later each day hoping not to be the first to arrive.  Time here is relative.  Today we timed it right and got there just as Diego and Juan Pablo were unlocking the door.  Carlos, the boss, showed up about 30 minutes later.  We are learning a lot about the Instituto del Bien Comun but still don’t have a good translation for ‘Bien Comun.’  (The consensus is 'Common Good.) IBC (ee-bay-say) is an NGO (or ONG in Spanish) that is dedicated to protecting the rivers, the forests and the indigenous cultures of the Andean Amazon.  Funding comes primarily from USAID and the Gordon and Betty More Foundation in San Francisco.  IBC works with other NGOs like The Nature Conservancy and with similar organizations across the border in Brazil. Juan Pablo gives the impression that they in direct opposition to the government, which seems to have a different agenda which, if followed, will reduce the Amazon rainforest by some 50% to 90% in the next thirty years.

Peru has laws to protect the rights and heritage of the indigenous people who live by choice in isolated communities.  But they are largely being ignored in favor of big logging concerns, petroleum exploration and mining operations that obtain concessions to work on supposedly protected areas.  Other pressures come from illegal logging, fishing, poaching and harvesting of forest products.  The indigenous people are highly susceptible to diseases from the outside and a single epidemic of flu could seriously affect an entire culture.

IBC is working to change these practices, to protect key river basins, the forests and the indigenous people who depend on them for their livelihood.  IBC has a large map and database and provides resource management and even legal aid.  Our job is to organize and catalogue their photographs to use in presentations.  But so far I fear we have mostly been making a nuisance of ourselves.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.