Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

EcoManu - It's A Family Affair

PERU | Friday, 23 April 2010 | Views [797]

Fernando and Connie make positive ID

Fernando and Connie make positive ID

If you are coming to Cusco and want to get to the jungle, take a look at EcoManu Center Expeditions.  You don’t have to book from home, although you can at www.ecomanuperu.com.  It’s just as easy to drop in; they are conveniently located near the Plaza des Armas on Calle Arequipa.  Ruth usually takes care of the office while husband Fernando is off guiding.  And baby Bruce is always a fun distraction.

EcoManu has budget pricing but provides a great experience.  While birding tours with other companies can cost hundreds of dollars a day, a four-day/three-night trip to Manu National Park with EcoManu will set you back less than $100.  Six and eight day through Puerto Maldonado cost about $100 per day.

This isn’t a specialized birding trip.  There are no 16-hour days with a guide pointing out every species and rushing you off to the next spot.  It’s relaxing and interesting enough for the serious birder or the beginner.  Fernando grew up in the area and knows the birds pretty well.  We saw around 100 species, 45 which were new to us, including cock of the rock, golden-headed quetzals, and hoatzins.

There were only three of us on the trip in a 10-passenger van.  Fernando’s brother arranged the family boat from the family home in Atalaya and sister Betty handled all of the cooking chores.  The food was varied and plentiful with a vegetarian option.  The “lodge” was rustic but comfortable with solar lighting and cold water showers.  And when the weather didn’t cooperate Fernando always had an alternative plan.  And it is so much warmer than Cusco in April!  

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.