Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Pisac

PERU | Saturday, 17 April 2010 | Views [422]

Agricultural terraces, Pisac

Agricultural terraces, Pisac

Pisac is the last of the archeological sites near Cusco on our boleto touristica, and the largest.  The ruins overlook the Urubamba River valley and are best know for the massive agricultural terraces.  Even higher on the hillsides you can see the plundered tombs of Incas.

We arrived early and had the ruins to ourselves (sound familiar?) for two hours, enough time to explore the entire place.  We wandered along the criss-crossing trails, through tunnels and up vertigo inducing stairways, enjoying the scenery and looking for birds until the tour buses showed up.

We could easily have visited all of the ruins around Cusco, including Machu Picchu, in three or four days instead of the ten we took.  But we wouldn’t have had time to appreciate everything, much less digest all we saw. When we return to the hotel we enjoy a leisurely lunch, relax, write in our journals and download the day’s photos. The luxury of time is one of the things we most appreciate about our style of travel.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.