Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

The Best Laid Plans: Part V

PERU | Thursday, 8 April 2010 | Views [292]

Bye-bye Bolivia guidebook

Bye-bye Bolivia guidebook

Today didn’t go exactly as planned.  We boarded the bus for Copacabana, Bolivia only to find out that Americans have to pay $135 to enter Bolivia.  It seems the president’s new best friend, Hugo Chavez, of Venezuela convinced him to dump on Americans.  (Everyone else gets in free for 30 days.)  If this was done to piss off Americans it worked.

We hopped off the bus, Gus and made a new plan, Stan.  We gathered our luggage and transferred to the bus to Cuzco.

Paul and Wendy from Scotland and the Netherlands were good companions for the 6½ hour trip.  They have lived all over the world and have some interesting travel stories.  The scenery was great and we made many comparisons to New Zealand and Colorado.  We also did some “high-speed birding,” adding three new species.

We are staying at Hostal Marani in the very old and charming San Blas district of Cuzco.  The streets are narrow and hilly and we are sure to get lost as we stagger uphill in the rarified air at 11,000 feet.  Our room is a little pricey but large with vaulted ceilings, thick walls and heavy warm blankets.  We have plentiful hot water and a buffet breakfast. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.