Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Mollendo and Sancturio Nacional Laguna de Mejia

PERU | Friday, 2 April 2010 | Views [696]

Meija Reserve

Meija Reserve

Our bus was the “earliest we have been late” and we arrived in the seaside town of Mollendo just after lunch.  Our cab driver agreed to meet us at 6:00 AM to take us to Sancturio Nacional Laguna de Mejia before we even checked into La Posada.  Senora Sara was adamant that we be in before eleven when she locked up then had a conversation with the driver that was too fast for me to follow.  We dropped our stuff and walked along the crowded beach.  The sand was nearly black and the waves were huge but we had no desire to swim.  Mollendo is hardly what I would consider a ‘resort’ and I suspect the sewage goes directly into the ocean.

We were ready at six.  Our driver was ready at six.  But Sara had locked everything so we couldn’t even get to the lobby, let alone the door.  We banged and banged and she finally appeared, wrapping her robe around her.  Apparently that’s what the conversation yesterday was about.  And apparently Mollendo has a crime problem.

We paid our 5 sole fee and drove into the sanctuary.  Reynaldo, our driver, knew the place well and even knew the names of the birds – in Spanish.  We saw lots of new ducks, coots, and grebes as well as some colorful finches.  My favorite was the red and black Peruvian meadowlark.  We were back at La Posada by nine and decided to change our 1:15 bus tickets for something earlier, which turned out to be 9:45 so we arrived back in Arequipa in time for lunch. 

            

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.