Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Tim Mayhew, Wildlife Artist

USA | Monday, 1 March 2010 | Views [428]

Tools of the trade, Tim Mayhew studio, Farmington, NM

Tools of the trade, Tim Mayhew studio, Farmington, NM

Tim Mayhew is a wildlife artist.  And a sculptor.  And an author.  And a student of the techniques and materials of the Old Masters.  So it’s not surprising that he has been selected as ‘Artist in Residence’ at Teton National Park this summer.

We met Tim when he was researching trumpeter swans, his current subject, in the zoology department of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science where we volunteer.  His plan was to sketch the details of the swans so he could sculpt a model of the head, which he would use as a model for his paintings.  Seems like a lot of work to this photographer!

Anyway, Tim invited us to his studio in Farmington, NM if we were ever in the area.  And since we were heading that way we took him up on his offer.  He showed us some of his works and the natural black chalk he uses for his sketches, a material lost to artists since the Old Masters used it.  Until, that is, Tim rediscovered its formula.

The fact that I am easily impressed doesn’t diminish Tim’s talents.  Check out his website at timothydavidmayhew.com.  Oh yeah, Tim makes one mean chili, too.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.