Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Gulf Islands National Seashore

USA | Tuesday, 6 October 2009 | Views [1238]

Great beach, Gulf Islands National Seashore FL

Great beach, Gulf Islands National Seashore FL

Without National Parks we 'commoners' would never have access to some of the most beautiful places in the country.  Yellowstone and Grand Teton would be ranches for the wealthiest Americans posted with signs reading 'Private.'  The Cape Cod region near Truro would be covered with beach homes.  Gettysburg would be a townhouse development.  And the Gulf Islands would look like Pensacola or Miami or Myrtle Beach.

We have seen a lot of beaches, even camped on a few.  But nothing compares with the Gulf Islands National Seashore for sugary sand, pristine dunes and wonderful camping.  Sadly, the white pines stand as shattered sentinels, reminders of the hurricanes of recent years.  Even more sadly, the condos, hotels and beach houses that were destroyed by the same storms are being rebuilt.  But the live oaks remain and there is no better place to set up your tent than in the shade of these magnificent trees. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.