Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Cape Cod

USA | Wednesday, 9 September 2009 | Views [380]

Cape Cod National Seashore, MA

Cape Cod National Seashore, MA

The red flag is flying at Chatham.  The beach is closed to swimming not because it is too rough but because of sharks.  Great whites have been cruising the shoreline looking for lunch, the grey seals that are currently sunning themselves on the nearby island.  The single public parking lot is packed with tourists and arguments keep breaking out over the next available spot.  Chatham isn’t friendly towards outsiders – parking on any street carries a $500 fine.  The houses are “humble” Cape Cods, not opulent like those around Bar Harbor, but the total land value is more than the GNP of many developing countries.

Farther up the cape the land is undeveloped thanks to the National Parks’ Cape Cod National Seashore.   The Seashore stretches for more than 100 miles of dunes, pines, oaks and marshes and is a wonderful place to look for birds.  We camped in North Truro, just south of Provincetown, the artsy-ist spot on the Cape.  The weather continued to be autumnal, too cold and windy for swimming and the fishing was off, too.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.