Existing Member?

Field Notes Close to home or in a far away jungle, there is always something marvelous to see.

Unmasked - The Ugly American

CANADA | Monday, 10 August 2009 | Views [508]

Drinks at Hovey Manor $20; 1000 Places to See ... Priceless!

Drinks at Hovey Manor $20; 1000 Places to See ... Priceless!

I don’t like French Canadians.  There, I’ve said it!  Quebec is a beautiful province and we have enjoyed the time we spent there. Quebec City is beautiful and we even had fun during a freezing week in February in Montreal.  But the people are loud and arrogant.  And they insist on speaking French.

It’s not just the language, though.  It’s the attitude.  In all of the English speaking provinces everything is written in both English and French.  Fine.  The French speakers should be included.  But in Quebec it is only French.  When I asked why they didn’t also include English the answer was, “Ici nous parlons francaise.”  As our friend Gary from British Columbia reminded us, French Canadians are neither.

It’s a fact of life that to drive from Ontario to Nova Scotia you must pass through Quebec and we did it as quickly as possible.  The campground we stayed at near Lake Massawippi was the worst we have ever used.   It was packed with weekend campers – noisy, arrogant Quebecois – and had only 3 toilets for hundreds of people.  We spent as little time in camp as possible and visited Ayers Cliff and Hovey Manor in North Hatley, both listed in 1000 Places to See Before You Die then as quickly as possible crossed into New Brunswick.  It's the only bi-lingual province but still an improvement.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.