Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Return to Aus

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 29 July 2008 | Views [761] | Comments [4]

Dorothy did it, so I can too, ok?

When I've told people my plan for coming back to Aus for the rugby it's been suggested to me that I might be insane. All that time and money and travel just for a game of rugby? The general consensus is that I'm completely off my head. Only Kiwis and the occasional Aussie seem to think I'm doing the right thing.

But, this is not just a rugby match. It's the Bledisloe Cup match, between Australia and the All Blacks. A chance to see the best rugby in the world! And the Wallabies!!! And for me as a fan of Aussie rugby, a chance to be part of a sea of gold shirts, singing with the crowd and not against it. A rare and precious opportunity.

The match itself was outstanding and not just because the result went my way. Both teams played some excellent rugby. The atmosphere was great. The banter between the fans was mostly good natured and entertaining. In short, it might just have been the best game I ever seen. So it might have been crazy to some, but to me it was well worth. A million thanks to my mum and dad who made it possible for me to go. I couldn't have asked for a better end to my trip.

Of course, there's other things for me to be back for, not just the rugby. It's unbelievably cold here, or perhaps I've just gone soft, so I've been spending much of my time indoors. It happens to be the Sydney Biennale at the moment, and I've spent a couple of days at the various galleries in showing it in the city. It's also the Melbourne International Film Festival this week and the Art Fair. So much to do, so little time...

 

Comments

1

Your lads did you proud!! Glad you enjoyed it!!
Your joy is our joy. Memories to look back on during the long winer nights back home.

Love and Huggles

Mum

  Janet Weir Jul 29, 2008 8:32 PM

2

Bledisloe Cup? Homeward Bound Intensive Climate Training more like.

  Shaesh Jul 29, 2008 11:15 PM

3

A fantastic tour by a fantastic lass! Thank-you so much Esther for taking us all on this amazing journey, your account of it all has been first class. Photographs great! Continue to be safe on your journey.
Love, Aunt Mina xxxxx

  Mina Malarkey Aug 1, 2008 12:20 AM

4

Glad you had a ball mate,and I'd never say you were mad going back to Aus for rugby!
xxxx

  Sue Aug 4, 2008 4:47 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.