Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Good Afternoon Vietnam

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 23 July 2008 | Views [720] | Comments [1]

I was very sad to leave Malaysia, but glad to be heading back to Phnom Penh, if only to see Uncle G again. He's not been keeping the best of health recently in more ways than one, but we still managed to get out and about for some excellent meals and spent many, many hours talking. That was all I really wanted to in PP as I'd already done all the required sight seeing last timne, but I did want to do something new in Cambodia, so I went to Sihanoukville for a couple of days. Snooky is Cambodia's number one (only?) beach resort. I'd been well warned that it's not as nice as the beaches in Thauland so I wasn't expecting much. It turned out to be nice enough, although I was glad to be there in low season. On the downside I managed to get myself a slightly dodgy tummy. I had been feeling a bit smug since I'd survived four weeks in Asia without any problems, and thought I might be able to make it to the end. More fool me. Thankfully it didn't hinder me too much and I made it back to PP for another day before heading off to Vietnam.

I loved Saigon the last time I was here, and nothing has changed except helmets are required on motorbikes which makes the traffic even more mental. I had big plans for shopping, but that hasn't worked out. Instead I've spent most of my time eating, sleeping and reading, which is fine by me. The Vietnamese are still complimenting me on my beautiful white skin, so that's removed any fears I might have had that I'd got a tan after 15 months of perpetual summer. (Although it seems to rain more here in the "dry" season than in the monsoon. Maybe Mother Nature is just gearing me up for what waits for me a home?)

Again I wanted to take advantage of being back somewhere I'd been before and so I did something different to last time. I did a short tour in the Mekong Delta. It wasn't much of tour, really, more a trip around various shops and factories. But the scenery was beautiful and if I ever make it back this way I'd like to spend some more time there.

Tomorrow I leave. As crazy as it sounds I'm going back to Australia. I have to see a man about a Wallaby...

Comments

1

Go wobblies.

In fact, since you haven't filled that big ol case with shoes from Vietnam...... room for a wobblie, methinks. Just a little one.

  Shaesh Jul 25, 2008 7:22 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.