Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

A time of fruity mellowness

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 26 April 2008 | Views [625] | Comments [3]

It's been a very busy month for me here in Tas. The weather is slowly changing and the leaves are definitely falling fast. I've been making the most of my last few weeks here, working hard and playing harder. The highlight was a wee visit from my lovely mate Sue, who you may have noticed is the no1 commenter on this blog. She decided to get in on the action and come see what it was like here for herself and I'm immensely glad that she did. It was wonderful to see you mate!

Last weekend I took a very short trip to Canberra. It's been said that a camel is a horse designed by committee. If that's true then Canberra is definitely a camel. It has all the aspects you would want and expect from a capital city and yet it manages to look nothing like one. It's perfectly designed and maintained, but the planners must have taken a long tea break somewhere along the way and left something out. What this means is that Canberra is not a destination that many backpackers bother going to in Aus, but I went because I had to see a man about some camels, errr, no, horses...

As you might already know, I have loyally supported the Brumbies rugby team now for many years and since their home ground is in Canberra I felt I had to go along and see a game despite the cost. I chose the match against the South African Sharks on the 19th of April not because it was a certain win for my boys (far from it), or because the weather is best that time of year (far from it), but because it was the Guvnor's birthday and while he's now playing in France I felt it appropriate to be there on that day in his home town watching the team he helped to create and meant so much to him.

The match wasn't the best I've ever seen them play, but it was without doubt a thrill to be watching at Canberra Stadium. Canberra is about the only place in Aus where Union is the favoured code of footy and it was nice to sing along with other supporters for the first time. It was in many ways surprisingly like Murrayfield in late Autumn and not just because I had my kilt on. It was bitterly cold and disappointingly empty, but my support made all the difference and the boys came through for me and won 27-21.

Back in Hobart I've handed in my notice at the restaurant which has been greeted wth a round of parties. I've chosen to interpret this as they are sad to see me go, but you never really know. The youngsters had previously taken me out on the town in Hobart where I was met with the horrible realisation that I am far too old for clubbing. If there was anyone there less than ten years younger than me, I'd be very surprised. The first staff party was embarrassing for entirely different reasons, mainly because the theme was "What the **** are you wearing?". You'll be able to see from the photos just how seriously some took it. A good night was had by most and the rest can't remember. Second staff party is this week. If I survive I'll let you know how it went.

Comments

1

Who knew that Will Ferrell was working at Hoggy's...... ? Seriously, from those photos I think we all know who won.

  Shaesh Apr 28, 2008 12:38 AM

2

Thanks for the update and the new photos mate....always good to hear from you and see what you're getting up to ( well, some of what you're getting up to!)
Was lovely to spend some time with you out there, just wish it had been ( much) longer.....
xxxx

  Sue Apr 29, 2008 4:54 PM

3

YOUR ARE NOT OLD!

sorry for yelling. ;)

Thrilled you got to see The Gov's beloved Brumbies at home.

Off to look at the pics.

Em xxx

  Emily May 2, 2008 3:54 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.