Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Anyone for tennis?

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 18 January 2008 | Views [525] | Comments [7]

I had a fantastic week in Christchurch, largely thanks to Scottish/Swedish hospitality and kindness. Didn't do much sightseeing or activities, but a week of home comforts was as good as any trip, tour or event so far on my travels.


However it's great to be back in Aus for the Open. I got back on Tuesday and headed off to Melbourne Park on Wednesday and Thursday for some second round action. Compared to my earlier experience of Grand Slam tennis goes, this was a total skoosh. It's within easy walking distance of the CBD, and it's possible to roll up on the day an hour before play starts, stand in a queue for half an hour and get a ticket. Nae wurries! It makes Wimbledon look like training for the SAS.


On Wednesday G and I got tickets for the Vodafone Arena, but it wasn't worth the money, so on Thursday I went back with just my grounds pass and had a cracking day. I'll email details of matches and TT if any of you are interested. ;o)

I'm off to Tasmania for a few days, but I'll be back in Melbourne for Australia Day at the tennis. First person to guess why gets a prize...

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

I know, I know! Pick me, pick me. It's because you want to see Sabine Lisicki play Caroline Wozniacki, isn't it? Match of the tournament so far. Do you know though, that while you're there, you could see Pat being inducted into the Australian Tennis Hall of Fame? Isn't that a lucky coincidence, since you'll be there anyway? Only if it doesn't clash with the tennis though, because it is all about the tennis, after all.

xx

  Cat Jan 18, 2008 7:33 PM

2

Is he? Well, in that case I should really go and have a look, shouldn't I? ;o) Sadly I don't think I'll see him, since the very expensive tickets for RL have sold out, but it'll be nice to be there on the day.

  esther Jan 18, 2008 8:11 PM

3

I think you can find a way into sneak RL. Just wear a top which shows some cleavage and flash that beautiful that smile of yours.

If that doesn't work myD & OCF are playing - probably on the court near the ferris wheel and traffic. ;-)

  Emily Jan 19, 2008 5:29 AM

4

Did someone say Tasmania?
;-)))))
xxxx

  Sue Jan 19, 2008 10:15 AM

5

Don't listen to all these tennis fanatics just do your own thing - remember its all about the tennis - some hope!! I think some people are having a bad influence on you again!! Lucky you!!! Have a ball in Taz. and talk or hear from you soon. Who's jealous -EVERYONE!!!!!
Love and Huggles
Mum

  Mum Jan 19, 2008 12:31 PM

6

Pat who? ;O)

  shaesh Jan 22, 2008 1:59 AM

7

irish, honey,I've heard that the Grand Hyatt Hotel is a particularly lovely hotel to sta...erm I mean see stuff during the AO.
;-)

  Sue Jan 22, 2008 11:43 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.