Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Down Under Down Under

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 24 January 2008 | Views [655] | Comments [3]

I arrived in Tasmania on Saturday. It was a very last minute decision to come and I hadn't booked ahead. When I arrived I soon discovered all the rooms were full in the backpackers and I ended up sleeping in the pub. (In Aus the traditional pubs are hotels and have a few rooms upstairs for overnight guests.) There was the risk that it would be noisy, but I was overjoyed to find a cosy wee Irish pub, a hot meal and a pint, with a comfy wee room upstairs to crawl into when I was ready. The people in Hobart are wonderful and friendly and I was soon feeling very comfortable here. I booked some trips for the next few days so I could see a little bit of Tas, but nowhere near all. It's similar in size to Scotland and there is a lot to see.


Day 1

The first trip was to Freycinet National Park on the east coast. This part for Tasmania has been in drought for the past two years and it's usually very hot and sunny. Not today. It was cool and cloudy and on the beaches the wind would cut you like a knife. I kept saying the weather, if not the scenery, reminded me of home. The weather is Tas is generally better than I'd imagined, but much more unpredictable that the mainland. On the trip to the beautiful Wineglass Bay I needed SPF30 and a fleece, sunglasses and gloves, and my cagoule was never far out of reach. And that was in the space of an hour! The national park was gorgeous, even when it was cloudy, and the moments when the sun shone gave me a clue to how perfect it usually is.

Day 2

The second day started with a visit to the top of Mt Wellington, which gave an excellent view of Hobart, then on to the Mt Field National Park to the Russell Falls and the Tall Trees. We took a stroll around the lovely alpine Lake Dobson, where appropriately we stopped for a picnic lunch. No better place for food than Lake Dobby! On the way back to Hobart we stopped at an animal sanctuary that does some wonderful work with indigenous animals. There are so many animals and plants in Tas that can no longer be found on the mainland. The Tasmanian Devil is tragically dying out and after seeing a baby devil cuddle into his carer, it's impossible not to love these little beasts. I was lucky enough to pet a young koala and a wombat, which I hadn't had a chance to do at Australia Zoo. The wombats are my favourite and it seemed to be mutual as the little fella started kissing my face while we posed for photos. Unforgettable.

Day 3

The last of my three trips was to the historic site at Port Aurthur where convicts were sent if they re offended. In order to to discourage this it was a harsh and brutal place, although it was hard to imagine as the unpredictable Tasmanian weather did it's thing again and we had glorious sunshine.. It's located out on the Tasman Peninsula, with the wilds of the Southern Ocean not far away and I'm told it can be very cold and windy there, but on this day it was more like a holiday park. However the grim inhumanity of place was easily seen in the solitary confinement and punishment blocks, convicts often spent a year with absolutely no human contact. The "Dumb Cells" were conveniently located next to the asylum for easy transfer once the period of punishment was over. Port Arthur has a tragic recent history also. it was the site of the worst mass shooting ever, twelve years ago. It isn't talked about at the historic site, but I'm thankful that the guide of the tour I was on was willing and able to answer questions about it. It's a part of the history that should never be forgotten.


Sadly I have only one day left here. I've enjoyed my short stay in Tas and would love to come back and see the rest, but if I don't I'll have happy memories of this wonderful island.




Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Coo, who knew Taz wasn't just where narky cricketers came from? It looks absolutely beautiful and next time I'm sent to prison, I think I might ask to go there.

Love the wombat pics, I'll have to lend you the Muddleheaded Wombat books when you get back and you can relive my childhood! :-)

Safe back to the mainland.

xx

  Cat Jan 24, 2008 7:23 PM

2

Looks and sounds like you're having a fab time in Taz..LOVE the photos and am SO jealous you got to Wineglass Bay before me,cos thats one of my *must do's*

Hope your last day there is lots of fun mate...oh and beware of strange men buying you lunch ;-)

Hugs xxxx

  Sue Jan 24, 2008 8:33 PM

3

Ooooops! Too late!
xxxx

  Sue Jan 30, 2008 9:12 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.