Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Home Sweet As Home, Bro

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 9 January 2008 | Views [655] | Comments [3]

In the New Year we went to Queenstown and from there took a trip to Milford Sound. The weather was perfect, which as incredible considering the west coast of NZ is abut as dry as the west coast of Scotland, and the scenery was again spectacular but I think because I'd overdosed on so much dramatic landscape already on this trip I didn't find it nearly as impressive as I should have. Drama was added by a bus exploding on the road ahead of us on the road back. Thankfully no one was hurt but it kept us all awake till we got home.
 
After Queenstown we headed southwards to the coast and spent a couple of days in the Catlins. Once again the landscape reminded me of home, not mountains this time, but rolling hills and fields. More than once I forgot where I was and was disappointed to find I wasn't on my way to Anstruther for a fish supper. It's impossible not to be homesick here. To add to my confusion we spent a night in Dunedin (= Edinburgh). Everywhere is named after Scottish towns and streets. It doesn't look anything like Edinburgh, or any other Scottish town or city for that matter, which only made it all the mose confusing.
 
On the way to Christchurch we visited Mount Cook but sadly the good weather we'd had finally deserted us and there wasn't much to see. I still did the walk to the lookout in the rain and got the photo but we decided to drive on a bit further to set up for the night. I am most definitely a fair weather camper. Three weeks in a tent was enough and it was bliss to arrive at Christchurch where M&A were ready yet again to take care of us. When even the smallest home comforts are much appreciated they've opened their home and shown amazing hospitality. "Sweet as!", as the kiwis would say. I'm all set to enjoy a relaxing last week in NZ before heading back to Aus. I'm trying t decide where to go next since my plans only took me this far. A trip back to Melbourne for a wee bit of tennis seems like a lovely idea.....

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Tennis! Go to the tennis, g'wan, it'll be gorgeous and hot and the weather will probably be OK too. And we can look out for you on the telly and you'll probably see Pat and it'll be fabulous altogether and we'll be pea-green with jealousy.

  Cat Jan 9, 2008 7:16 PM

2

What a lovely surprise to hear from you last night. Hope your flight wasn't to tiring and maybe you'll manage to make it to the tennis without too much hassle. Can think of a few mates that will be green with envy!! and wishing they were with you for a grand reunion - maybe next time!!!
Love and Huggles
Mum

  janweir Jan 15, 2008 10:56 PM

3

Tennis??? In Aus?? And you're having to give it more than a nanoseconds thought because??????
GO! Have a ball! Take a million photos! Kidnap Pat!
Envious hugs, xxxx

  Sue Jan 16, 2008 8:19 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.