Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

The middle earth of nowhere

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 2 January 2008 | Views [678] | Comments [3]

After Christmas we met up with M&A at Franz Joseph and they kept us warm, dry and well fed and watered. And we really needed it. It was pouring with the most torrential rain I have seen on this trip, and that includes monsoon season in SE Asia. But it was all worth it in the end and we had a cracking day to go up onto the glacier. I've never done anything like it and probably never will again so it was a bit of an adventure for me. The boys went ahead with the fast group, but A stayed with me in the slower bunch so I didn't have to walk fast and she could take photos. Our guide was good and although it felt like a long walk to get there and a short time on the ice it was a great trip in all. The next day we went and had a look at the Fox glacier, although we didn't go onto it. I couldn't have managed it since my legs were killing me!

From there we went to Wanaka where we planned to spend Hogmanay with M&A. Unfortunately the rest of New Zealand has also planned to go there and it was a wee bit busy. After deciding that everywhere else would be the same we headed off to Glenorchy, a little town of four hundred people about forty minutes from Queenstown. Luckily we had great weather and could enjoy the scenery. The area around there was used a lot in the LotR movies and judging by the amount of horse muck it must have been for the scenes in Rohan. Hogmanay was quiet and enjoyable. The first of January is the Gman's birthday and he broke with tradition for the first time in half his life and didn't have a hangover or get drunk on his bday. Someone around here must be a good (?) influence on him.

Happy New Year to all. Hope it's a good one for youse. xxxxx

Tags: Mountains

 

Comments

1

Pouring rain and horse poo - some people have all the luck ;-)

Good for Gman for making such an effort, and a very Happy New Year to you both - long may your adventures continue (some of us are living vicariously through you, you know - no pressure mate!)

  Dee Jan 3, 2008 5:08 AM

2

May I say your South Island photos are stunning? Don't see any Legolas lookey-likeys in them, though :(

Hope you are enjoying your trip as much as we are, mate xxxxx

  Annie Jan 3, 2008 7:55 AM

3

Glad you had a good NY mate...thanks for the reports and fab photos...keep 'em coming!
Love and hugs xoxoxo

  Sue Jan 6, 2008 8:31 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.